• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakes hate dogs?

Doesn't matter how well you think you know your dog. They are still animals and some times react in unpredictable ways. People that have had dogs as pets for years were surprised when the dog bit a child that it's been around it's whole life. Better safe than sorry and keep the snake away from the dog.

To the OP, the snake probably bit you out of fear. Snakes are just as unpredictable as any other animal, it may never bite you then one day, "surprise!".

Bekers is right, and Im guilty of it too. I wrapped Sadler around Dale one time and my friend flipped out. One playful snap will multilate the snake.

With my puppy Molly, I know I cant trust her. The snakes dont come out unless she is in her crate.

Anyway, my 05 snow...I took her out one day and she was totally fine. And I walked by my counter where my cat was sitting and as soon as she passed the cat, she turned around and snapped at me.

Snakes dont like big hairy animals in their face.

I introduced my dog to my big snakes but only while my boyfriend was holding the dog's collar. (I'm a huge worrywort) The reason I did this was because our dog is very good at the "no" and "leave it" commands. I trust that he wouldn't do anything once I told him that the snakes were not a new tug of war toy. So I put the snake in front of him, let him sniff the snake's tail, told him "leave it" and now he doesn't look twice when I have a snake out.

The snakes, don't seem to even care that there is a big dog in the room. I haven't seen any change in their behavior at all regardless of whether the dog is sitting on the couch right next to me holding a snake or sleeping at my feet while the snakes are eating.

I never wanted them to be friends and i monitored VERY closely and it never lasted long with them being around each other. I do know my dog, shes old and harmless and the possibilities of her attacking ANYTHING is so out of the question.

And i never put them near each other since because obviously my snake thinks shes a threat. So to keep him less stressed out i figured he'd completely stay away from my dog.

What I questioned on this thread was about me being bit! Not my dog so happening to be in the room.

You were bit because either the snake was stressed or it thought you were food because of the dog smell.... Either way it's because you tried to integrate them.....

Either that or it just felt like it..... Snakes can be as unpredictable as dogs....

I can't for the life of me imagine wanting my dog or my cats around my snakes, ever. I wouldn't knowingly risk injury to them by making them interact.

Oh god no I would never have my snakes around a cat. they are to unpredictable they think every thing is a toy. My little sister has this one cat thats mooder the h*ll to all of the other animals but my dog. I have no problem with my dog being near cause I can tell what my dog is thinking I know there is a a bunch of people that will say b.s. and say a lot more on it but I can tell you every move that my dog is going to make before she makes it and she knows her commands VERY WILL! Plus when my snakes have been out and the dog comes near they are the ones to go closer to see what it is. They aren't flecking there tong like they think its something to eat like they do when I put a mouse in for them.

Oh god no I would never have my snakes around a cat. they are to unpredictable they think every thing is a toy. My little sister has this one cat thats mooder the h*ll to all of the other animals but my dog. I have no problem with my dog being near cause I can tell what my dog is thinking I know there is a a bunch of people that will say b.s. and say a lot more on it but I can tell you every move that my dog is going to make before she makes it and she knows her commands VERY WILL! Plus when my snakes have been out and the dog comes near they are the ones to go closer to see what it is. They aren't flecking there tong like they think its something to eat like they do when I put a mouse in for them.

Not to be a downer but the man whose dog killed his child said this animal was good with kids and would never harm any one.

Animals are unpredictable through and through, As are people. You can never say your pet will not harm your snake and vice versa.

Plus a snake doesn't need to flick its tongue before striking or biting.

That may be so... but what was the child doing to provoke the dog? :shrugs:

I knew a dog growing up who was a sweet ole guy. One day the neighbor kids decided to gang up on the dog and throw rocks, sticks, and generally torment him. When one of the boys got close enough the dog attacked him. Unfortunately the dog was put to sleep, but personally I think the dog was justified.

ive a friend who has a ball python, he lets the snake slither round the room now and then... on a certain occasion he had the snake out and was keeping a close eye as he always does, but he heard his young children screaming and his girlfriend calling him so he rushed out the room to see wat the problem was... a few minutes later he came back to the room where the snake was kept to find his st bernard lying on the floor, with the python curled up lying on top of the dog both quiet content.... in the animal world strange thing regularly happen ...... but in saying this there is no point taking chances

Ooo yeah, no point at all in taking chances... that could have ended badly for the ball python. :(

I'm not saying take the chance, I'm just saying that cases where dogs attack generally have a reason behind them. I don't believe that dogs just suddenly turn agressive.

As for being able to tell what your dog is about to do... I can say that for me it's true. I've had my blue heeler for 7 years and I know by watching her how she'll react to things. I can tell by her facial expression (mostly her eyes), how she holds her ears, and a clear sign that she's getting twerked is when her hackles go up. For anyone who pays attention to their pets, it's easy to read the signs.

Not to be a downer but the man whose dog killed his child said this animal was good with kids and would never harm any one.

Animals are unpredictable through and through, As are people. You can never say your pet will not harm your snake and vice versa.

Plus a snake doesn't need to flick its tongue before striking or biting.

Ya people can be unpredictable to. Like in the movie the office. There is that one person that is really quite and doesn't say what they what to cause there scared to then one day they snap when they have had info of being picked on and pushed around just like some of the school shottings some of them were cause people picked on them cause they were different and look what happens.

What my point is things don't just happen. It is years of bad things happening to them to make them do what they do. Dogs won't attack someone just kicks and giggles.. :eek:

in my opinion dogs are great animals when properly cared for, they do become somewhat predictable when looked after as you get to learn how they react to different things, u learn when they are upset, when they are happy etc.... as with most animals who are properly cared for you get to learn what makes them tick.....
however i am very new to reptiles, so i am not quiet sure if the same theory translates to snakes and other reptiles...... do they become predictable? do you learn what they like and dont like? from what ive heard they remain pretty much wild animals, so does that take predictability out of the equasion??

Snakes are very predictable in the sense that any decisions they make are based on instinct rather than thought. A dog can be trained to do basic commands like sit, stay ect ect relativly easily by various training methods but a snake will never be able to comprehend any sort of command as they havn't evolved that far. If you rub a mouse or any other prey item on your hand and put it in front of a snake you are definitly getting bit because its instinct says its time to eat. If you rubbed a steak on your hand and put it in front of your dog it will most likley get licked and not chewed because he knows you aren't dinner.

Snakes can learn some things by repetition, a lot of times when you feed dead food they will not constrict after a while because experience has told them they no longer need to. The more you handle a snake the less nervous it becomes because he learns you are not a danger to it. With large snakes hook training is used to prevent bites. In this we lightly tap the snake on the head every time we take it out for handling and at feeding time the hook is nowhere in sight, if done from a hatchling they learn that the hook means its not dinner time and this usually results in less bites.

Snakes are very predictable in the sense that any decisions they make are based on instinct rather than thought. A dog can be trained to do basic commands like sit, stay ect ect relativly easily by various training methods but a snake will never be able to comprehend any sort of command as they havn't evolved that far. If you rub a mouse or any other prey item on your hand and put it in front of a snake you are definitly getting bit because its instinct says its time to eat. If you rubbed a steak on your hand and put it in front of your dog it will most likley get licked and not chewed because he knows you aren't dinner.

Snakes can learn some things by repetition, a lot of times when you feed dead food they will not constrict after a while because experience has told them they no longer need to. The more you handle a snake the less nervous it becomes because he learns you are not a danger to it. With large snakes hook training is used to prevent bites. In this we lightly tap the snake on the head every time we take it out for handling and at feeding time the hook is nowhere in sight, if done from a hatchling they learn that the hook means its not dinner time and this usually results in less bites.

That hook theory is pretty interesting. I've never heard of any one doing it like that. But when there babies wouldn't it be kind of hard to use a hook on them sense they are so small or do you just have it some were so the snake can see it and not use it when there small?

I should have clarified, the hook training method is generally only used with big species that will send you to be stitched up with a decent bite. Burns, retics and afrocks usually hatch out 18" - 24" so they are not to small but when they get to the 10-12 foot mark the less agressive attitude makes all the difference in the world.

I should have clarified, the hook training method is generally only used with big species that will send you to be stitched up with a decent bite. Burns, retics and afrocks usually hatch out 18" - 24" so they are not to small but when they get to the 10-12 foot mark the less agressive attitude makes all the difference in the world.

Oh alright. Sad to say I haven't had the pleasure of holding a snake that big yet. Hopefully someday I will.

Back