• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

So I got a cat... now what?

mazzy

I've wanted a cat for a long time, and yesterday I adopted one from the shelter.

I also have a 1.5 year old corn snake. I'm absolutely paranoid about the cat getting into the snake's viv. The lid is latched closed in a way that i believe requires opposable thumbs to open, but the top is wire mesh.

Will the cat try to claw through the mesh? He also jumped on the top of the viv while kareeming around the house, and while he's pretty small, I'm not sure what would happen if he tried jumping on it. (He's around 1 year old. Not a kitten, but still fiesty.)

Does anyone have recommendations for a different kind of viv/lid? What I should do in the interim? How to keep my cat from deciding my snake is a new kind of catnip toy? I live in a two-bedroom apartmenr and there's nowhere I can put the snake that the cat isn't going to have access to. The snake's pre-shed, so she hasn't even been moving around at all. I have no idea what the cat will do when she does.

Things I do to keep my cat off the mouse cages... (She doesn't have any interest in the snakes.) Place lightweight, bulky items over the screen so air still goes through, but there's no space to sit on the mesh and stare down.

Loops of packing tape on the lid. A cat gets their paw stuck in one of those and they'll think twice before climbing up there...

The old squirt-bottle method. Cat goes up to cage, gets a blast of water in the face.

Howdy!
I have the same problem. My cat Bubbles got on top of my mesh-topped aquarium twice now. The wire mesh isn't that strong, so I can see an accident coming. Although its not pretty, I think I'm going to get a piece or two of a wood plank/board, and put it across the top so if she does jump up she wont go through. That actually might help raise the humidity level for shedding and retain the heat too. As long as the boards go past the frame edges, and I leave plenty of space for air, I think this will work. Heck, I guess I can paint them black so it will work better. Of course this my actually encourage her to jump up. I wish I had a rack system or vivarium. Does anyone else have any better ideas?

Shoot, anything that will disuade a cat, but not reduce airflow too much and not crush the mesh. I just toss a cardboard box up there or a couple empty shoebox sterilites.

We have found super soakers work great to disuade unwanted behavior from the cats and dogs except the wolf, she tries to bite the water stream....

Depdending on what sort of viv you have, you could purchase a critter topper. No way a cat can get into it and it can sit on it all day long. I have one for my degus and the cat used to sit up there alot, until he got bored, knowing he could never get in.

They are made by exo terra I think, and are about $34.00 for a 20 gal aquarium.

Hurley said:
Shoot, anything that will disuade a cat, but not reduce airflow too much and not crush the mesh. I just toss a cardboard box up there or a couple empty shoebox sterilites.

thanks for the good advice! the tape sounds like a great idea. as for the shoeboxes - does the cat ever try to just knock them off?

as for the water bottle, i've already used that a bit. my worry is what he'll do when i'm not home.

For whatever reason, no, she doesn't try to knock them off...just accepts there's something big up there and ignores it.

The problem I had was the cat fell threw the screen top. So, after replacing the screen on the screen top I add a 1/2 inch wire mess top to support the weight of the cat. Now the cat can sit on the top without falling into the viv. She as never tried to scratch at the screen but the 1/2 mess will stop that to.

I have this problem with my cats. They just cant get over the fact that I have these nice new toys that look like a big string that are always moving.

I think the tape idea is great! One of my cats is always on top of the viv and it drives me nuts. She knows she isnt supposed to be up there as if I come into the room she jumps right off and hides. I see cat hair all the time on the mesh. Its driving me crazy. My new additions are in the closet until I get the seperators for my new vision cages they they will all go into, hopefully that will solve my cat issues. As for right now, I think that I will try the tape method!

Hey i have a cat and i keep my snake and leopard gecko in a room with the door closed all the time.
just a sujestion :).

I suppose there's always Snappy Trainers (like a mouse trap, but won't catch on a paw or tail and hurt the animal) or those "Scat Mats." I've never used either myself, but it's worth looking into. Short of that, having the snake set up in a room where you can close the door while gone works. Just have to be sure the cat is not in the room when you close the door. :rolleyes:

My boyfriend had a cal. King a couple of years ago and has three cats, but they were all afraid of the snake and never went in his room where he kept the snake. So I guess he was lucky in a way.

Stef

My corns are in my bedroom, which works out great because they come out of their hides mostly at night. (My garter is by my computer, since he's a day time guy.) My rotten cat Bubbles insists on sleeping with me. She will scratch at my door and meow all night unless I let her in, literally. I woke up this morning, and their she was, sleeping on top of a snake terrarium. Rotten kitty. I think the tape idea sounds good, because if she puts her paws on it, the edges are sticky, and she wont like that.

My cats are ALWAYS interested. I had to cover the tops for the same reason, they love to get on top of the lids. I've actually considered putting a screen door on the spare bedroom to keep them out. The wife loves that idea.:argue:

Attachments

• amber and michaelangelo.JPG
    amber and michaelangelo.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 33
That picture looks familiar... now where have i seen that before...

She doesnt bother anymore though, she just comes and bothers me while im trying to do something in the tank trying to get my attention.

Attachments

• Missy Attacks small.jpg
    Missy Attacks small.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 30
Back