• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

So I got a cat... now what?

I have three cats, and all of them would love to get their paws on my snakes. After they managed to bust through the screen lids on two of my tanks, I started covering the screen tops with heavy duty wire mesh. Now they can't get through even if they jump on top and start clawing. The cats have pretty much given up now, but if any of my snakes escaped, I think they would end up as lunch. :sidestep:

The cats in my apartment are much too concerned with the feeder rats than the snakes.
I'd make sure you have an EXTREMELY escape proof viv because you should probably be more concerned about your snake escaping and being mauled by the cat than the cat than the cat opening the viv itself.
I unfortunately have recently had a terrible mishap involving a snake escape and cat culprit. :cry:
Oh, also make sure the viv cannot be pushed over by the cat. Be weary of stands

GiantBlueberry said:
I'd make sure you have an EXTREMELY escape proof viv because you should probably be more concerned about your snake escaping and being mauled by the cat than the cat than the cat opening the viv itself.

Sound advice. I'd also be more worried about the snake getting out than the cat getting in.

I've got two cats but the snakes are in a room they don't get into so no problems there. If it's do-able .... I'd go down the separate room route.

It also depends on the cat. My current two were never that interested in the snakes when the viv was in a room they were allowed in. They did like sleeping on top of the viv because it was warm but it was a big viv with a HEAVY smoked glass top so that was never a problem. A previous cat I had (well, it was my sisters) used to go MENTAL trying to get into the viv I had at the time (smaller wooden one, sliding glass doors) but I used a lock at the time so he never made it in.

As someone said, if it's a glass viv you're using, see about getting an aquarium style lid to put on top of the mesh ... that should do the trick.

:)

I had leftover lengths of Rubbermaid wire shelving from when I installed shelves in my closet. They work great and are easy to put on and off. They are not harmed by a heat lamp placed directly on them. I also use bunches of Washington Thorn branches (they are covered with 1-2" spikes) on top of the bearded dragon viv which doesn't have a flat top. I let the branches overhang to discourage jumping up. Even if the cat can't get in, I don't want her sitting on top of the viv stressing out the inhabitants.

One other caution is to be sure to secure any heat lamp setting on top of the viv. If the cat knocks it off or repositions it, it could start a fire.

Back