• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Some Gecko/Lizard Questions.

Nitelion94

I am The Nitelion
O'k so I looking in to getting some type of Gecko/Lizard and have a few questions for all you owners. I don't need details about care or anything I plan on researching everything prior to getting one.

Before you suggest any here are a few basic things I need it to meet. I want something that doesn't have crazy hard care something more in the beginner to intermediate range. I would like something I can keep in a 10g but I don't care if I have to go bigger. but nothing over a 20(im not looking at Bearded Dragons or Iguanas or anything like that) If its social and I have to get more than one that's fine to.

I have questions I want keepers to answer.
.Im Looking for one that's fun to watch. I love my corns but they tend to hide all day so (if it hides a lot that's fine) but I don't want something the burrows(pretty sure they don't lol that's why i'm looking in to them)

So if you have any suggestions that meets that just let me know. All so post any tips you think I may need for the animal you suggest!

Thanks Ryan!

Cresteds... hands down, don't need heat, don't need light, don't require live foods, fun to watch and can live in a 10g no problem :)

I like cresteds a lot as well. They're cool looking, fun to watch and pretty friendly. Their care is a piece of cake, but they do need daily attention.

I would also suggest either a Crested or Gargoyle as well. Gargs get a bit bigger, so would probably be better in a 15 or 20 gallon type cage. Same with Cresteds but a 10 will work for them. (depending on who you ask) Gargs also don't climb as well, so wider branches, ledges and such are better for them. Otherwise care is pretty much the same between those two. They do require almost daily care, misted daily, fed every two to three days but with a bit of planning, they can be left alone for two or three days if you need to leave for the weekend. Gargs pretty much don't do well together, bitten off toes, missing tails and such. Male cresteds almost never get along well either, wouldn't even try with them. Most female cresteds can be housed together but you do run across one every now and then that will bully or even kill her cage mate. That should be taken into consideration when buying them, you can't always count on being able to house them together, so if you can't afford or have room for a second cage, best not to get two.

Thank you all! I had totally forgot cresties Im a big fan of garg but all ways thought they took Expert care. Glad to find out they dont! Time to research!

Possibly the best pet lizard in existence is the African Fat-Tail Gecko. They're calmer than a Leopard, have beautiful color mutations, are very personable, and make awesome pets! They're easy to clean, maintain and feed. A 10 gallon will suffice an adult. You can use coir fiber, cypress mulch, paper towel, or newspaper (with access to a humid hide) as bedding. Hot side of 88-92, cool side of 80-85. Provide access to a humid hide spot (especially if using newspaper as bedding). Provide a small water dish as well. For feeding dusted crickets or lateralis roaches work best. You can try mealworms, although some will be picky, converting them is very possible.

I have a leopard gecko and a salamander. If your into the whole amphibian idea I would go with a salamander. They are really easy to care for. Misting a few times a day, feeding every three days, no heat or light required. And mine gets crazy during feeding time. He will lunge at anyting near him and stick it with his tongue. He even tried to eat his plant once. Overall great pets.

Leos are great too. Mine doesn't hide a lot when I'm around- he'll come out and watch me do things, it's so cute.

I have a leopard gecko and a salamander. If your into the whole amphibian idea I would go with a salamander. They are really easy to care for. Misting a few times a day, feeding every three days, no heat or light required. And mine gets crazy during feeding time. He will lunge at anyting near him and stick it with his tongue. He even tried to eat his plant once. Overall great pets.

Leos are great too. Mine doesn't hide a lot when I'm around- he'll come out and watch me do things, it's so cute.

David thanks for bring up Fat tails. Dakota what type of Salamander do you have?

Who can resist these faces?

021.jpg

100_0333.jpg

8c367c34.jpg

David thanks for bring up Fat tails. Dakota what type of Salamander do you have?

It's a bit of a debate. Some people think spotted and others say tiger. My dad found him in the middle of October and he was just walking around in my dad's shop, so he brought him home. It was freezing and he didn't feel right leaving him there.

Here's some pics of Sal. Don't mind the dirt on his face, I tryed to get it off and he kept trying to eat my finger :)

DSCF0518.jpg

Sal14.jpg

DSCF0522.jpg

Madagascar giant day geckos are amazing! They are vibrant green with orange/red spots and they pretty much shame all other geckos species for appearance. Morphs? They don't need no stinking morphs! Diurnal, large, and hardy. A 20 gallon tall is perfect for them. A little heat, a lot of humidity, and they are good to go. They will eat live, but you can also feed them powdered diets, oriole nectar, and whatever you find in the yard. Mine once at an adult luna moth. Take that, little cresties!

Viper geckos are also neat. They are small, and a trio can be kept comfortably in a 10 gallon tank. A little warm spot in one corner of the tank and they are happy. They prefer sand, but I always use paper towels.

Cool little guy! I'd say spotted salamander. Used to have a tiger salamander that had fallen into our window well. Was a neat guy but his tank always stank. However, if we had had better filtration, that probably wouldn't have been as much of a problem.

Day Geckos are alright, except for the fact their skin tears.

It's not a every day occurrence, but yes, it tears. I should have added that day geckos are like fish, pretty to watch, but you shouldn't handle them. That is when their skin tears, when they are trying to escape your clutches. But alright is far from accurate in describing them. NO BROWN HERE!

No skin tearing here. You can actually handle your pet. And if you don't like brown, but a Tangerine Amel.Brown is a far from accurate description of Fat-Tails considering all the morphs.

Back