• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Spotting deer

Marcel Poots

Young, handsom member
Last fall I went on a (photo) hunt for deer. It was one of the best days for spotting deer I have ever had. Many fighting males. They made a lot of noise which mad it easy for me to find them.

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing! I've found poop and tracks where I go riding, but no sightings of the deer yet.

Yes, that is a good sign. But outside the breeding season it is very hard. They will spot you from miles away and just disappear. In breeding season they are too busy luring females and fighting off other males so they ignore you.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

I've been lucky enough in the woods near Pete to see deer in the thick undergrowth, (a fallow female and a roebuck) when just walking quietly. I'm sort of hoping we may spot them from horseback around Kim's place. Did you find adders again this year? I haven't yet.........next year perhaps

No, no adders this year. I have been looking for grasssnakes only. And I have found only a few in spring.

Are those red deer? No matter what kind they are beautiful.
The pics of the hawk are amazing. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

The Buteo buteo is in england the buzzard, the Edel hert look to be what we call fallow deer. I'm totally jealous, Marcel, I kept hearing buzzards this summer at the stables and found their nest but never saw them!

Wow! Some of those deer really are amazing. We have deer that live in our backyard, but here we have Florida deer (I believe they are called white tail deer) and I have never seen one with such impressive head gear.

Wonderful photos Marcel! Do you shoot with a telephoto lens or were you able to sneak up fairly close to them?

I used a Canon 300 mm L lens (F4.0) Without extender. So I needed to get real close. I think between 20 and 15 meters distance.

Congrats on the successful hunt. Those are great shots and impressive looking deer. Whether stalking to kill or stalking to shoot, it's a challenge either way.

D80

Back