• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tank setup-comments and critiques

If the UTH is sized appropriately- 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the floor, then 85F on the glass over the UTH is fine.

Aaand a bunch of replies came in.
Okay, Chip-I am using a probe thermometer for the warm end. I'll consider getting an infrared thermometer. Yes, the substrate is in fact aspen.

I think I'm going to research this a little more before I buy anything else.

glad I could help!

yes, the sites that chip listed will work for finding a good thermostat too!

and yes, researching more is always best!
everyone can always learn more! ;)

As Nanci pointed out, make sure the heat mat is of appropriate size. A little 10 gallon heat pad ain't gonna do squat to the ambient temperature of a large tank. It should cover 1/4-1/3 of the length of the tank. Also consider using a thinner layer of substrate? And of course, you really should give everything half a day to a day to properly temp out. I know when I got my heat pad the glass was a good 7-10 degrees fahrenheit warmer than the ground level (above substrate), but after a day or two the two temperatures came a lot closer together.

Then there's the same things everyone else has said. You're definitely going to NEED a t-stat or you will cook your snake. And you'd be really well off to get an infra-red laser thermometer to check the temps at various spots.

As far as artificial plants go, I bought a TON of excellent artificial greens at Dollar Tree. The nice thing is that since they are so cheap, they didn't have wires and such in the stems/vines that could be dangerous. Nice bunches of various plants are available as well as 4-ft greenery garlands that are very soft and can be used pretty much however you'd like.

I'm in the process of setting up my own tank, so I just thought I'd share that tip with you as it's the only one I have!

Honestly, Dollar Tree is by and far a pet snake owners dream store. So much stuff there, from cheap paper towels, tuperware containers of all sizes, foliage, various other items that can be crafted into hides or decorations or jungle gyms. All for a freaking DOLLAR! The wireless vines are good for wrapping around sticks, vines, etc to provide leafy cover so your snakey feels secure and more likely to hang out on them. I'm always chopping up tupperware into various forms of hides. This list goes on and on and on and on... I'm there like once a week looking around going "OOOH, I can use that for little Plissken!"

It started out as a RAT owner's dream store for me! I am constantly finding things for my boys and I get nearly all of their cage accessories and toys there!

But back on the topic, yes... I got several armfuls of vines and bunches of greens! Can't get any cheaper than that and the fact that they don't have wires like more expensive artificial greens works in our favor.

Back