• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The "RIGHT" to Protect Yourself?!?!

haha, Just making sure. I remember a few years back I read about a lady was robbed, she had an unloaded gun with no ammunition even in the house, they took her gun from her and nearly beat her to death with it.

I have met a few other people (locally) that keep there guns next to there beds but there ammo in there gun safe, and some how think they can get the ammo load the gun then be ready for the intruder, was just making sure you had the magazine within reach to load quickly :D

attack elephants, etc.

LOL!

Wouldn't you feel victimized again if you had to answer questions, were grilled as a perpetrator instead of a victim, regarding your RIGHT to defend yourself? Would you feel victimized again if you were arrested and charged for defending yourself? How about if you were actually convicted of a crime or sued over it? That would be a turning a tragedy into a travesty.

Wayne

Well said, and I agree! As someone else mentioned, I think it would be easier for me, as a petite woman, to prove self-defense, and fear for my life. I couldn't physically overpower a 4th-grader!

On the other hand, I sleep with an unloaded gun under my mattress. We have pretty low crime rates here, so it's highly unlikely that someone would break in . . .

I live in a high-crime area, so mine's loaded, and easily accessible. Having dogs helps too. They're just little ankle-biters, but they're hyper-vigilant, and would hear someone before I would. My home was burglarized several years ago while I was at work. Fortunately, they didn't hurt my two old dogs (now deceased), and only took a couple jars that I keep spare change in.

Had I been home, the Census Bureau would have had two less punks to count. They were caught after several burglaries in the area, and they assaulted a 74-year-old man!

I remember a few years back I read about a lady was robbed, she had an unloaded gun with no ammunition even in the house, they took her gun from her and nearly beat her to death with it.

See above response. :)

Kathy

haha, Just making sure. I remember a few years back I read about a lady was robbed, she had an unloaded gun with no ammunition even in the house, they took her gun from her and nearly beat her to death with it.

I have met a few other people (locally) that keep there guns next to there beds but there ammo in there gun safe, and some how think they can get the ammo load the gun then be ready for the intruder, was just making sure you had the magazine within reach to load quickly :D
I use a safe similar to this for my Cougar. I keep the gun load with one already in the chamber, on safe of course. I also keep two clips spare in it. All three clips are half loaded.

images

My shotgun is loaded with defense rounds, and is one step away from my bed. Safety off. My gun safe is similar to the one above, but you have to be thinking clearly to open it. It has a pause that you need to hold the first button to start the sequence, so if you don't wait long enough for it to initiate, or not do the right code, an alarm goes off and it locks you out.

I really, really don't want to ever have to use it, though. It would be a legal nightmare, justified or not. Definitely a trip to the sheriff's office, and most likely getting sued by the BG's family.

I keep a pistol beside my bed. Apparently some years ago drug runners from Mexico came through this area and killed a few people in their own houses... I will be ready. I have a Taurus Judge that stays in the safe, loaded. And, my sig stays beside my bed in "yellow", full mag inserted, no round chambered, all I have to do is pull the slide and I am good to go. I also do not have to have a light to aim my Sig, It has glowing front and rear sights. So as long as I can see the people trying to rob my house, I can take them out. Of course I will yell at them to get out, but if they come at me, at least two bullets center mass will be headed their way.

I keep multiple mags half loaded so there is less fatigue on the clip springs.

That is a great idea... I can't believe I hadn't thought about that before. I need to look into getting more mags. I only have 2 right now.

I keep a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck shot up on a very high shelf in my bedroom within a few feet of my bed. Its loaded with a round in the chamber at all times with the safety on. In the day time I keep the door closed and locked to keep the kids out but at night time when im in there I can have it in my hand in less then 2 seconds and its ready to go. Where I live at and the way my house is from the room I would be coming from it puts the bad guy at such an angle that no one else in the house would be in the line of fire through the walls.

I have heard of people who use birdshot loaded instead, but I have also talked to a few LEOs that said they had seen first hand some one get shot by bird shot (home intruders, then the cops were called) and it did not kill them, it caused massive damage to the skin but that was it. They also said that if the intruder is wearing a leather coat or a heavy denim jacket with a thick shirt on the birdshot may not even make it past the clothing since it is designed for hunting small game and clays the charge behind it isnt strong enough to do the job correctly. This is why I use 00 buck shot for home defence, some may consider it a little bit over kill but when it comes to defending my family, I want my tool for defence to operate efficiently and not be under powered.

When I was younger we had some one try to break into our house several times, and a few of them we were home when they were trying, until we let our 2 big dogs outside. They didnt stick around for long. Ever since then I Keep a gun within reach at night, you never know when some crack head may decide to try to rob you, or hurt you in the middle of the night.

That safe you have there Outcast, does that read your finger prints or does it just open from all 4 fingers making contact? I have seen em online before but never checked em out that much.

Mine is a cheap little lock box from walmart. I haven't been able to afford anything more, but I can mount it under the corner of my bed if I wanted. It also houses my silver and the more valuable coins in my coin collection.

Shotguns are nice. Just level the thing in the general direction of an intruder or assailant and squeeze. Takes nerves out of the question. I know most people keep handguns readily available. My handgun is to buy me enough time to get me to my shotgun.

Here is more on the three bills that are sponsored in the legislature right now. This was part of the article in the Union Leader

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=535ecc9a-16bd-429c-afdb-0b7b9e9dda98

CONCORD – People should be able to stand their ground when threatened and legally use deadly force, advocates for changing the state's self-defense statutes say.

Advocates for three bills that would change the law said Thursday the "Castle Doctrine" -- which allows people to defend themselves in their homes -- should be extended to any public place.

"My life is not worth less if I am in a car or in a Shaw's parking lot, than it is in my home," Ralph Demicco of the Gun Owners of New Hampshire said at a House Criminal Justice and Public Protection Committee public hearing. "If you have a right, you have it everywhere."

Under current law, a person should first try to retreat from a threat before using deadly force. All three bills, HB 207, HB 210 and HB 567, would eliminate that requirement.

Basic Rights that ANY person should have!

Wayne

Overstock.com has pretty decent handgun safes. Mine is electric with battery back-up, and you can open it with a key, too. If you can remember which snake viv you hid the key in :)

Here is some more stuff from a local TV station

http://www.wmur.com/news/27063541/detail.html

CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire lawmakers are considering expanding citizens' right to use deadly force in self-defense.

The House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee will hold hearings Thursday on legislation to let people use deadly force without first attempting to retreat. People also could protect themselves anywhere they have a right to be.

New Hampshire law allows the use of deadly force inside the home in defense against certain crimes such as rape.

Deadly force also can be used in public places to defend someone else or to stop a rape, kidnapping or other serious crime. The law requires citizens to retreat if they can safely, except at home when they are not the aggressor.

Five years ago, Gov. John Lynch vetoed a bill expanding citizens' right to use deadly force.

Wayne

I have been thinking about creating a rattle snake viv. with a false rock in it, so I could keep stuff inside it... Who would think to reach into a rattler cage for valuables? lol

A while back I found myself trying to decide where I should keep a gun within easy reach if needed in a hurry. I wanted to keep a gun next to the bed. Then one in the den. Then another next to the sofa. And yet another in the kitchen. After all, if someone does break into your house, do you think they are going to give you a whole lot of warning? I sure would hate to find myself racing to the bedroom to grab the gun there with a bad guy in hot pursuit knowing what I was up to. Then what do I do when I am outside working in the yard? Or in the garage, or other buildings?

There just simply didn't seem to be a single place to keep a gun where it would actually be handy if needed.

So I simply bought a holster and and keep a gun on me nearly all of the time. Bought a little Glock 33 in .357Sig, that's not real bulky and heavy yet packs quite a punch. Solved a LOT of problems stemming from having a lot of guns stashed all over the house. Of course, I still have a gun next to the bed, since I doubt I could sleep very well with a gun on my hip... :grin01:

About the only time I am truly vulnerable is when I am in the shower. Which since I retired and am living out in the woods, I really don't have to do as often as I used to.... :roflmao:

Seriously I have had people pull into the driveway here that had no business coming here. I don't know for certain that they had dark deeds in mind, but certainly seeing a gun on my hip may have been instrumental in them just quickly backing up and driving away. Even if they had no dark deeds in mind, I think they realized that calling ahead for a visit would be a real good idea.

Shotguns are nice. Just level the thing in the general direction of an intruder or assailant and squeeze. Takes nerves out of the question. I know most people keep handguns readily available. My handgun is to buy me enough time to get me to my shotgun.

Depending on the type of barrel in the shotgun, the spread of the shot may not be as wide as you would think nor like. From one side of your house to another, you may find that you actually do need to aim a shotgun.

Depending on the type of barrel in the shotgun, the spread of the shot may not be as wide as you would think nor like. From one side of your house to another, you may find that you actually do need to aim a shotgun.

Aiming! Accuracy! I'm thinking that just having the 12 gauge being shot at the would be intruder would cause them to poop. ;)

Wayne

The thing with all this is that I personally know no one whose house was broken into by a rapist or murderer. I know no one, and have only read about a few in the paper, who has any need for gun protection at home.

Let's face it, you are more apt to be seriously injured or killed driving to the corner store for milk. I think the whole issue is so blown out of proportiobn by people clinging to their "rights" and people whose loved ones have been victims of gun violence that there will never be any balance in any of this. One side says no guns at all while the other side says no restrictions on weapons what ever. The reality, folks, is somewhere in the middle (just like most everything else!).

Just my 2 cents...

The thing with all this is that I personally know no one whose house was broken into by a rapist or murderer. I know no one, and have only read about a few in the paper, who has any need for gun protection at home.

Let's face it, you are more apt to be seriously injured or killed driving to the corner store for milk. I think the whole issue is so blown out of proportiobn by people clinging to their "rights" and people whose loved ones have been victims of gun violence that there will never be any balance in any of this. One side says no guns at all while the other side says no restrictions on weapons what ever. The reality, folks, is somewhere in the middle (just like most everything else!).

Just my 2 cents...

When they take away the citizens ability to own a gun, the only people who will own guns will be criminals. We will be at the mercy of those who disobey the law. I would much rather have my chances for survival boosted by owning a weapon, than be at the mercy of some psycho who forced their way into my house...

Back