• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This slithery addiction is getting the better of me...

SteelJawEmily

I have this problem, which I'm sure everyone around here also has. I tend to look on Kingsnake, Fauna Classifieds, and Craigslist for whats out there. And well, it was only a matter of time before I found something I couldn't pass up.

I have been wanting a Hogg Island Boa for a long time, since I was introduced to them at the very first expo I went to. And FINALLY I found a baby in my price range. She is a 2010 Hogg Island/Salmontine cross and I am picking her and her sister up on Saturday. My friend Nick is getting her sister and holding my little one until I move and get set up for her. Luckily 55 gallon tanks are easy to come by on Craigslist...I know because I've been looking. :grin01: She's a little cage aggressive, but after dealing with Malakai, I think I'll be ok. lol With the Salmontine influence I see her getting a lot of pretty colors in her.

So here are some pictures, I'll get more from the owner if possible. Now I just need to pick mine (leaning towards the lighter of the two) and pick a name!

Baby one, the slightly darker one:
100_3795.jpg

Baby two, the slightly lighter one...possibly mine. :)
100_3798.jpg

Hahaha I know, I'm a self-enabler.:headbang:

BUT ITS SO WORTH IT.

But I got the OK from my landlord to have as many pets as I can fit in my room. lol And I should be moving in the next month or so, so I figured I would snag this opportunity while I could. These little ones are 50% Hog Island, 25% Argentine, and 25% Colombian. The rest of the clutch were all hypo's and they were the only two normals, so I'm hoping they will have a lot of pinks/yellows/oranges.

Here is the mom:
momboa.jpg

And the dad:
dadboa.jpg

They're all beautiful! And yes, it is an addiction... a very powerful one. :devil01:

Well here they are! Meet Calypso....mine, the darker, smaller one....who in the above pictures is ironically, the lighter one. And Zin, who my friend Nick is taking.

On the way home. Calypso is the closest one.
009-2.jpg

My little girl:
020-1.jpg

014-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

You can't really tell by these pictures but Calypso has almost a pink pearl wash type of thing going on. I hope she keeps it.

I thought Malakai was cage aggressive! Little Calypso is about 10 times worse than Malakai ever was lol. I have to hook her out, or suffer being bitten. With work I think she'll calm down though because once she is out she is perfectly fine.
027-Copy.jpg

032-Copy.jpg

I've nicknamed her Missy Hissy lol

Weird how she's so aggressive. My Hogg Island girl is a very mellow girl. Your lady is VERY pretty, though, which almost always makes up for nasty temperaments :).

I think it's because shes so tiny, underfed, and I can wager she wasn't handled much at all when at the breeders home. So I don't blame her much for it.

If I scoop her up quick she seems to do better, but then we sit for a while staring each other down lol. I think with work she'll be much better.

Well little miss Calypso has calmed down a lot. I think it was the matter of getting some decent meals in her and handling her a lot. She still hisses and makes a big fuss about coming out of her home, but if your quick about it she gives up faster. lol

My friend Chris gave me a very good welcome home present after I got back from my surgery recovery. He custom made a background/decorations for Calypso's cage! Before she was just on paper towels, (I always use the paper towels when I first get a new snake just because it's easier to monitor their poo, and see if they have mites or anything like that) and using big pipes for hides, and the tank had a big crack down one corner. I had gotten the tank from my friend for free so It wasn't a big deal to me. But while I was in Yakima for two weeks on my recovery, Chris was watching my slithery kids for me. So he took it upon himself to spruce hers up a bit. :) I love how it turned out!
015-2.jpg

Background is foam, then colored mortar. So it's soft to the touch, but looks like rock.
016-3.jpg

P.S If you like what you see and want something similar, let me know, he's taking up clients who want custom built cages/backgrounds. :) I can show you more of his work too.

I also got some pretty good pictures of her too, right after she shed.

Back