• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Total cost

I agree it depends on the breeder and the pet store.. But my experience has been mostly bad with pet stores. If you are considering buying from a store, read a bit on how to recognize problems like mites (mites mites, lol) I don't have any in my collection, but my local petco is riddled with them.
I have bought from lots of people here on the site, and have never picked up a bug or a bad snake yet.

As far as money, you can get by on the cheap quite easily with tubs, flex watt tape and dimmer switch (thermostat is better), binder clips and an old bookshelf. Snakes always seem to like cheaper hides like toilet paper tubes over expensive ones, and they are easy to replace when they get dirty. For a water bowl I really like those smaller dog and cat ones that have a hide space underneath.. That will probably make sense when you see them.. Buying mice in bulk is a big saver if you have space in the freezer to keep them frozen.. I always go more expensive on thermostats, because it has the potential to do a lot of harm if it goes bad. Make sure you get a probe thermometer as well!
I would recommend having fun setting up his home and testing working out the bugs before bringing your snake into it. I'll bet many escapes would be prevented by simply working with the set up in front of you for a few days to a week. Once you have a snake in there, the clock starts on his escape plan, and he could be gone by the time you get back with the fix.

Have fun!

Sorry I didn't see your set up you posted there.
What is that substrate in there? It looks like sand or some kind of plastic insert. I would have to say either of those would be very unsuitable for a corn snake. The terrarium itself seems fine, the hide might be big for a baby, but he'll climb all over it at least when he's exploring at night.
Change that substrate to aspen newspaper or care fresh, get some kind of belly heat on a thermostat (instead of the lamp) and it should probably be fine!
Toss in lots of stuff for him to hide under too, paper towel rolls, fake viney plants (buy at Michaels NOT the pet store where they are soooo expensive- I like their chain vines that you can buy by the foot.) and you should be good!

Oh that is not the setup for the corn snake, that was the set up for my beardie lol. But I am going to get my beardie a new cage cause he is too big for that one now. I just wanted to know if the size was okay. If I do get a corn, that will be his tank. I will have aspen bedding, lots of hides and bushes, UTH and I have a themometer with probe end already for my beardie. I will also get a thermostat and a water dish.

Be careful buying from shops. Sometimes it's fine, but my first snake was from a petstore and she ended up dying a few weeks later from a respiratory infection. I thought it'd be cheaper than buying online because I'd avoid shipping costs. Instead she ended up being more expensive because of the vet bills... and she still didn't make it. Just be warned that shops aren't the best places to buy from. Their conditions aren't very good compared to most breeders. My new snake had a higher initial cost but she's perfectly healthy and she's got a great appetite.

I agree with this AND want to add one other thing... buy from someone who is willing to take the time to communicate with you. IF possible, find out some information on the person you're purchasing from. That way, you know they're not scam artists trying to lure you in.

Also, ask questions about the snakes you're interested in... are they established eaters, when were they last fed, will you get a record of their feedings, etc. That way, you've got some "maneuvering room" should there be problems.

Case in point... A few years ago, when I was buying my very first snakes, I was so excited about ordering that I didn't find out the background of the person I was buying from. Fortunately, I DID get what I ordered... however, the snakes were NOT established feeders and I was unprepared to have two albino speckled king snakes that wouldn't eat. I tried to get them started, looking on the internet for info., asking pet stores around here, etc. Eventually, I gave them to someone who had MUCH more experience with this problem... and he still lost them - they died after much frustration and heart ache. Add on to this the fact that when I tried to contact the breeder, the ONLY response I got from him was, "I did not mention in any of my e-mails that they had eaten anything since hatching" (a paraphrase, but something along those lines).

So, be careful where you buy from and who you buy from. Ask the right questions. If the answers aren't to your liking, look elsewhere. You'll save yourself lots of money and trouble.

To remain "On Topic"... My setups / snake cost roughly $125-150. Bedding is $11.00 every 3 months. Food is $66/month for 11 snakes. I can lower that cost per month, but would need to order online. I SHOULD do that, but haven't yet. LOL. Will probably do that very soon as even I am astounded by that number. LOL.

Good luck! Sorry for the book!

Fred

Hi There!

It's a ton of fun planning your first Corn and kudos to you for doing the research first!

I know Prehistoric Pets - in Fountain Valley, right? I've browsed through their stuff from time to time and most look pretty healthy. They are, however, grossly over priced. If I may make a suggestion? The Anaheim Expo is coming up very soon and lots of breeders will be there. You'll be able to browse and handle all you want....

Just my 2cents :D

Enjoy!

-Tonya

Its not the one in Fountain Valley, Its the one in Moreno Valley. I am trying my hardest to catch a ride up to the expo. I do not think, however, I will be getting a snake. Well, as long as I am living at my parents.

Ahhh... my mistake then. Sorry. And sorry to hear about your parents Amy. I know when my kids want something and I resist? They then come to me and ask what they can do in order to achieve this goal.... perhaps that would work with your parents....

For example, if it's fear? Talking to a breeder about risk... that kind of thing.

Typically, for me it's work, showing responsibility and paying for what they want.... good grades always get a good response :)

Good luck!!

-Tonya

Back