• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Trying to decide...

SteelJawEmily

...On my next snake. I know I want something bigger than a corn, but not big enough to eat me. :grin01:

So far I have been looking at: Amazon Tree Boa, Nic Boa, Jamaican Boa, Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons, and Centralian Carpet Pythons...also called Bredles Pythons I think?

If anyone has any info on any of these feel free to post pics and share! I love ATB's and know about their feisty nature, but they are at the top of my list. Is there another similar sized arboreal snake that isn't as aggressive?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me! :D

You can get ATB's that aren't as aggressive. I'd look for an already established older juvie or adult who is known to be more docile.

Just be sure to do your homework on whatever you get, they require a bit different care than corns of course.

Oh I'm doing my homework alright. I wont be able to get one for a month or two anyways.

How big do ATB's get anyway? I've heard to many different things...

Oh I'm doing my homework alright. I wont be able to get one for a month or two anyways.

How big do ATB's get anyway? I've heard to many different things...

I'd say an average of 4-6 feet (I'm just approximating here, I don't have any experience with ATB's). Though they stay very slim bodied compared to terrestrial boas so they don't have that heavy/bulky look to them.

ATBs are longer than corns abut not too much more heavily bodied and like Zoology said, they can be feisty as all get-out. If you're wanting a snake that FEELS like a bigger snake than a corn and you're wanting a snake that is more brilliantly colored and semi-arboreal I'd go with a Jungle Carpet or some other snake from the Morelia family. Awesome snakes and like I said, they'll feel like a bigger snake than a corn and ATBs just don't feel like a much bigger snake because of how long and thin they are.

For me.. larger than a corn but not huge, and still have
a handleable animal and nice disposition..
I love my Pits.. Gopher, Pine and Bull Snakes..

Hmmm....I think I want something more...visually appealing, besides I could catch me one of those at work lol

I'm leaning more and more to the IJ and Coastal Carpets...how is their nature compared to the calmer corns and the feistier ATB's? And what size viv are we talking? I have Donatello in a 40gal breeder (first snake's right is to be spoiled)...are they more arboreal?

Coastal Carpets get fairly large. IJ's are supposedly a relatively small Carpet, but not quite as easy going as a Jungle Carpet. I would have to say that JCP's are overall a great choice. Although it's not on your list, I would strongly endorse them over the others. They are generally very easy going, not to big but definitely have the feel of a larger snake, and are, in my opinion, some of the absolute best looking snakes of all.

Also, Woma Pythons are also wonderful, and stay at a reasonable size. They aren't arboreal, but they're gorgeous as can be, generally easy going, and the care doesn't seem to be very difficult to keep up with.

I have seen the Jungles and at this point, any type of "smaller" Carpet Pythons are looking good. I want something bigger than a corn but not necessarily as feisty (or spendy) as an ATB.

What I'm planning on doing is doing my research, then going to the Expo over here in Portland and see what I can find...because from what I've heard, expo's tend to have smaller price tags? I've never been to one so I'm excited about it :D

Morelia is a great choice for a new snake...
They are pretty easy to keep and the husbandry requirements are very relaxed...
A 4x2x2 will be big enough for any of them, put a nice perch in for them to hang out on and a 150w ceramic...
Thats the general info out of the way, now for species worth considering..
Irian Jaya (Morelia spilota harrisoni)
DSC_0041.JPG

Length 4 1/2 ft to just under 6ft..
These are small... Very alert and nosey, and considered to be the least likely to bite..
Jungle Carpet python (Morelia spilota chynei)
DSC_0058.JPG

Length 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 ft .... But can get to just over 8ft (I know as I have one)
These are considered one of the most beautiful carpets, especially the high yellows and the 50/50's...
These calm down real nice and make excellent pets.
Coastal Carpet (Morelia spilota mcdowelli)
DSC_0052.JPG

Length... These can be quite large, 10ft, but I have one thats 5yo and 6ft...
And most of the ones I have seen have been around 6 to 8ft mark...
Very gentle and inquisitive.
Coastal carpet (Jaguar) (Morelia spilota mcdowelli)
What again I hear you ask... :nope:. These are the same except different.
A few years ago a guy hatched a clutch of Coastals and something strange popped out.... The Jaguar Morph... All the Jaguars come from this one clutch... They cannot be bred together as it releases the lethal gene and isn't a good thing....
They are also susceptible to neuro problems which depicts it self as head wobble and lack of co-ordination... They can grow out of it or grow into it and they can never show it or show it to varying degrees....Nothing is definite with the Jag head wobble...
They can be bred to other morelia to make interesting combos...
50% Jungle x Jaguar (co-dom genetics)

junglejag.jpg

Bredli python (Morelia bredli)
This isn't a carpet, but it's near as damn it is to swearing.
DSC_0034.JPG

These are slightly heavier bodied get to around 8 ft.
All of these snakes are food orientated and therefore easy to feed and easy to get bitten by... LOL
And being semi arboreal the strike range is quite far, the teeth are large so I tend to use a hook to let them know I am coming in.... Once out they are sweet hearts..

I really don't know what else to add at this point as which snake you chose will be personal to you and your requirements. Don't freak out over size because in this case (Morelia) it really doesn't matter, they are all fairly slender so don't take up much room, hence look quite small..
Go out and meet a few and get a good feel for them.

Oh I nearly forgot, if you think corns are addictive...... Wait until you start looking at Morelia ;)

On the other hand Pituophis is a good call also...
I have a Northern pine and he has so much character..
But if you are slightly nervous the display they are capable of is very off putting... Once they know they can bully you they try it on even more.
I've put this up before, this is my Pit, doing his best stuff... LOL

Thank you for all the amazing info! And the pictures!

I think what I'm going to do is find out as much as I can, and maybe start to get some supplies (providing I can make room) and then when I go to that expo in August....go prepared. That way if I see one and fall in love with it, I will be ready. I wonder if there will be adults there...:shrugs:

Also, I don't have to much room to work with....so would a 18x18x24 Exo-Terra cage like this work? (but with tropical decor of course)
exoterra.jpg

That would work for a while, as it is growing.... You may get the first year out of it....
Just remember that UTH are pointless for them...
TBH if you are considering any Carpet, go for the final home viv ASAP as you will have to get it sooner rather than later and they will make use of the space available....
Plus they don't stress in big open vivs as some terrestrial snakes do..... Just give it a few leaves as cover and they are happy...
You need to contact Nick Mutton or Yasser... They are both on your side of the pond and have some wonderful animals....
Try this link...
http://spitfirereptiles.com/indexsrc.html
I'm not sure how far Yasser is from you but he is worth a look....

Here's a couple of IJ feeding pics to whet your appetite..LOL
You don't get many snakes this fun to feed..
DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0337.JPG

Our Coastal, Harrison, takes them out of the air when thrown....
We haven't been able to capture this on film, but it's easy to see how they eat birds...

Awesome photo series Mike! :dancer:
Thank you...
Gotta think of things to entertain ourselves when the winter nights set in.... LOL

Thank! I'll take a look at that website...and see if I can't make a visit :)

Thanks for all your help!
No probs, if I think of anything else I'll add it.. If you have any questions (except price) Pm me and I'll see if I can help or point you in the right direction for help...
Also try this site for help more local than me... LOL
Heres another link
Morelia pythons

Back