• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

underweight snake?

maddie167420

hi i just got a corn, first snake, and she looks pretty good, clear eyes, not a picky eater, and is very active at night. her previous owner was not certain about the age but said shes approx four months old albino corn and i weighed her ( after eating a pinky) and she was 13 grams. i saw some corns at four months weighed between 18 and 24 g and i think she is underweight but her back is round and i cant feel her spine, so im not sure? i am wondering if i should feed her two pinkies, rn she is eating one per week
any suggestions/info would be really helpful, thanks in advance

ps my phone camera is just really bad, the viv is clean

Attachments

• 9A876E94-5627-4BB0-B30D-35900BB2158B.jpeg
    9A876E94-5627-4BB0-B30D-35900BB2158B.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 7
It is not likely that your snake is underweight, rather it just might be small for its age. At 13 grams I would feed a pinky every 5 days rather than once per week. Let her get up to 16 or 17 grams (weight before eating) before moving to two pinkies per feeding

She looks healthy. She may have hatched out on the small side, perhaps from a smaller egg. Sometimes young females or those with huge clutches lay eggs of smaller size. That's not any indication of future size or health of the babies. They'll grow and thrive with regular, appropriate size feeding and good care.

It's a good idea to keep track of their weight, of course. This will vary a bit depending upon if they're fed, just had a big drink, or need to pass waste. For example, you mentioned that your baby is 14 g after eating. It is best to weigh them before a feeding, unless you've weighed the prey item separately. That way you'll know how she's really doing on weight gain.

We look forward to updates. Btw, welcome to the hobby!

Back