• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Upgrading from 10 gal to 36x24x18 for 8 month old cornsnake. Will this work for lights?

Outlawgb

I have a cornsnake that loves to climb, so I opted for more height for him with some more length. The only thing I will be moving as far as lights is his heat emitter fixture. I think I will need to go up on the wattage for the larger tank. I'm going to make a list of what I think I need and can you please help me with what is best for him? Thank you!

Flourescent UVB 24" fixture with T5 or T8 10.0 UVB and 24W I'm guessing this just needs to be center along the back of the top?

UVA basking bulb...we reduced down to 50W for the summer and it sometimes gets too hot and I work with UVB/Heat emitter. I'm guessing that most of his basking spots will be between 12" to 24" depending on what it is. I have hides and vines and a ceramic humid hide. I will likely put a few shelves in.

50W heat emitter and will work from there to see how it adjusts to the new space.

I will get an UTH for Winter and keep it a level 2 to 3

I will put thermostats on all of my lights and heater.

Thank you for any direction you can give me! Things have gotten so expensive that it's hard to experiment and in West Texas it gets pretty cold at night in Winter, out in the open desert and very hot in the summer. We have very fluctuating humidity at times as well. Thank you...Chile's Mom...snake mom newbie!

Last edited:
I cannot believe with so many cornsnake owners on here that not one of you have any suggestions to help me with lighting on a larger enclosure for my 8 month old corn. Is there anybody out there??? 🙄

Try not to over think. Corns need very little to thrive; a heat source, clean water, food, light, a place to hide and room to move around in order to thermoregulate and exercise. They are mostly nocturnal, so UVA/UVB doesn't really play into a "needs" category and can add a lot of expense to the equation. I prefer UTH for warmth because it's easy to control with a herpstat and allows for a definitive place that your snake can count on to be warm. Any form of light source works to regulate photo period. Too many heat sources; lights, UTH, heat emitters, ambient room temp fluctuations, can make regulating the viv very difficult and time consuming. If you keep it simple you and your corn will do well.
Good Luck!
Terri

I agree with Terri. Simple is better. Fewer things that can go wrong, IMO. I very successfully keep all of my corns very happy and healthy with no UVB or overheard heat at all. They just have UTH (on thermostats of course :), and the natural light cycle from a nearby window. The 2 snakes I have in display tanks in my living room have overhead UVB (not heat) lights as well, but I have them on a timer so that the lamps are only on during the middle of the day and don't override the natural light cycle. Best of luck.

Try not to over think. Corns need very little to thrive; a heat source, clean water, food, light, a place to hide and room to move around in order to thermoregulate and exercise. They are mostly nocturnal, so UVA/UVB doesn't really play into a "needs" category and can add a lot of expense to the equation. I prefer UTH for warmth because it's easy to control with a herpstat and allows for a definitive place that your snake can count on to be warm. Any form of light source works to regulate photo period. Too many heat sources; lights, UTH, heat emitters, ambient room temp fluctuations, can make regulating the viv very difficult and time consuming. If you keep it simple you and your corn will do well.
Good Luck!
Terri
Thank you so much for your reply! You are absolutely correct...I was very much overthinking it, but I'm still a new snake mom and upgrading was raising some anxieties. I basically needed a little reassurance before going forward. I have several nice hides to put in his new enclosure, plus his two smaller ones and the rest will come with time. I will not be using an UTH until we start getting below 40 degrees at night. That cold be as late as November. So, I've got it all straight in my mind now and I appreciate your confirmation and straight forward answer! That helps the most!

I agree with Terri. Simple is better. Fewer things that can go wrong, IMO. I very successfully keep all of my corns very happy and healthy with no UVB or overheard heat at all. They just have UTH (on thermostats of course :), and the natural light cycle from a nearby window. The 2 snakes I have in display tanks in my living room have overhead UVB (not heat) lights as well, but I have them on a timer so that the lamps are only on during the middle of the day and don't override the natural light cycle. Best of luck.
Thank you for your reply! Simple is good for me...it's been difficult enough to keep a 10 gal aquarium regulated. Im doing lights completely different with some planning this time and I think it will be better for us both! I think I have most everything else figured out best I can and it's just getting him moved and acclimated to his new home!

Back