• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

URGENT Lost Snake & Force Air Furnace

We caught a yearling escapee in a wire mouse cage. The snake could enter the cage,but after eating the mouse, could not get out.

Mouse / Cage / Trap

I suppose the trick is getting a cage with the correct gap between the wires. Something small enough the snake must squeeze through to get inside, then cannot squeeze out after eating. The challenge I face is I have no clear idea what the correct gap would be for my snake. Thus I was thinking of going with a very small hole (gap) so could not get in and then also get back out.

Thank you for your response,
~ Allen

Kitchen implements as snake traps

When I explained I needed to build a cage that would not allow a yearling corn snake to enter,
yet easily let the scent of the rodent out, my wife suggested we use a metal colander.
In fact we now plan to put a rodent in two colanders joined to form a sphere.
All of the holes in the colanders won't allow Fire to access the rodent, so we hope to find Fire wrapped around the trap in the middle of the night.

Question, any reason to believe any of the following are better at luring a snake than the rest:
A mouse or gerbil or hamster ?

Thank you,
~ Allen

Oh no!!! I feel your pain...When Rune was alive, I made a move from Oregon to Montana. I had Rune in a white styrofoam cooler with holes drilled around the edges for ventilation (big enough to circulate air, small enough he couldn't get out) and we stopped about half way to fuel up the cars...as I was doing checks on the critters I discovered that Rune had escaped..................................................I was crushed!!!! I tore my car apart and I couldn't find him anywhere. I left my info at the gas station on the chance he would be found and we headed out. Once we got to Montana and unloaded my car I decided to do another check and I found him in the trunk under the trunk liner...he had some black goo stuck to him but he was alive! I was so relieved!!! I tried soaking him in warm water to get the goo off but it wouldn't budge so I let him shed it off...it all came off eventually. (needless to say, I learned my lesson and will NEVER use styrofoam coolers EVER AGAIN!!!)

The second time he went missing was when I was away from home for a few days...at the time there was a screen lid on the viv he was in and my dad's cat kept jumping up there to "watch" him.....when I got home the screen had busted through and Rune was NOWHERE to be found...needless to say I was peeved...as I was turning around to go downstairs and raise hell, I noticed (on the OTHER side of the room) that Rune had climbed up the birdcage (which was home-made, out of wood and chicken wire funnily enough) and was hiding under some stuff that was stacked ontop of the cage. How he managed to find his way clear across the room, up the birdcage and hide under some stuff is still amazing to me. He was no worse for wear other than being cold, he had no wounds and after I put him back in his viv he warmed up and ate no problem...needless to say, my dad made a custom wooden "snake tank topper" out of a piece of wood that was the dimension of the tank with large holes drilled in the top for air circulation.

Gook luck in your search and I hope he turns up soon!

Beware that a snake may end up farther away than what you would expect. I lost a baby from down in my snake room... and found her up the stairs, through the living room and kitchen and inside the pantry. This is one of the cooler spots in the house and FAR away from where I had even thought of looking.

We have had a live mouse in a "steel ball" (two large metal collanders joined rim to rim) for the past 5 days and so far, Fire has not been found snuggled up next to it. Our cat, on the other hand, likes to sit and watch the mouse moving within the "steel ball".
At night our cat is locked out of the area of our home where the bedrooms are located, so we would expect our missing snake could roam freely and unmolested.
Going to dump lots of flour on the floors and carpets this weekend and see if we can detect any movement of a snake. I'm starting to feel annoyed by my inability to figure out where Fire is hiding.

Live Mouse Lure Enclosure

My yearling corn snake, Fire, remains loose in our home.
After doing a number of searches, including the use of a flexible cable camera in the air ducts, combined with partial disassembly of the furnace ducts, and room by room searches, leaving dead bait out, we have moved on to the live bait lure.

We bought a little white mouse we call Wu, and he is presently living in the steel ball pictured below. I can smell him when I am in the room with Wu, so I expect our missing snake should have no trouble smelling him.

Fire has been missing for about a month, so he ought to be hungry, unless he is eating spiders . . . Wu has been in house for a little more than a week and the flour ring around the mouse containment 'ball' has yet to be breached by a snake. We 'tested' the set up with our other snake. He slithered across the flour to the steel ball from a distance of about 2 feet away. I am interested to hear comments and theories about what we might do next.

Thank you,
~ Allen
steel ball mouse cage.jpg

Ít looks way interesting! Very inventive. I hope it does brind out the snake in the end. Do you have water put on the floor for the snake?

Water for lost snakes

Yes, we do have a water dish out for the lost snake, but the cat keeps drinking it. :p We have to fill it often.

New Strategy ( I read about )

Greetings,

Given the live mouse in the steel ball does not appear to be luring out our missing snake, last night while doing more online research on ways to locate and capture lost snakes, I read something about lowering the temperature in the house and leaving warming pads in rooms to lure the lost snake with heat.

Has anyone used this technique successfully?

A question about using tape. I was wondering, if I was to attempt to use tape to catch my missing snake, and if somehow I did catch him, and if some scales were damaged by the tape, is it permanent damage or something that disappears the next time the snake sheds their skin?

Thank you,

~ Allen

I would try painter tape. I'm think the rustle of the tape will help you hear him.....at 2 am LOL

Tape is pretty harmless, as long as you use oil to take it off. Oil will stop you from tearing off scales.

Yes, scales will grow back.

Sad News, My Lost Snake Was Found, Dead

I found my missing snake in our basement, dead, most likely due to dehydration.

This is essentially a "lessons learned" post for anyone searching for a lost snake in a house with a basement where the temperature (in the basement) will be below 60 F.
Our basement floor (bare concrete) is generally 55 F, and it feels damp. Hopefully anyone making a generic search will find this post.

My lost snake started in my office / computer room, with plenty of nearby heat sources: computers and converter/inverter boxes (120V to 12 V DC)).
<< In fact, my office is the warmest room in the whole house because of the constantly running computers and a heavy duty UPS box generating lots of excess heat. >>

Yet the snake choose to exit the office and made his way down stairs to the basement.
This took place when the OUTSIDE the house temperature was below the freezing point.
Our INTERNAL living space temperature was not more than 70 F in the day time and a little below 65 F at night.

Yet the snake choose to leave a warmer area and move to a cooler part of the house.
This seems completely contrary to everything I read and heard about what an escaped snake would do.
Most 'experts' will tell you the snake will quickly seek out a warm place to hide.

Immediately after the snake went missing we put a heating pad and water in the basement.
Daily checks did not locate the snake hiding in or near the only hot spot in the basement.

Eventually we assumed the snake *must* be in the warmer part of the house (upstairs) and we removed the heating pad and the water dish.

Our basement has two 'rooms', one is generally dark 24 hours a day.
We found the deceased snake, in the dark side of the basement in the middle of the room, on the concrete floor.

Sadly, it seems we should have left the heating pad and water in the basement indefinitely.
Perhaps we should have left a suitable hide on the heating pad, in a more sheltered area,
perhaps the heating pad under a shoebox with a hole cut in the side and water next to the shoe box, in the dark side of the basement.

If you are looking for a lost snake, consider the cold parts of your house to be equally attractive to your missing snake.

Good Luck,

~ Allen

I'm so sorry to hear your snake didn't survive until you found him. But- at least you know, now.

I am so sorry to hear about Fire. When you're ready to open your heart again, maybe you can share some pictures of your new snake baby.

Back