• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Venture guesses on 2 Morphs?

Creamsicles can be highly variable, depending upon the percentage of corn/emory in the cross. After those first generation animals are bred back to a "pure" corn (don't get me started), they start to resemble corns more than emory ratsnakes.

The type of amel used can also affect the looks of any offspring. The hatchlings from a candycane crossed to emory could look significantly different than hatchlings from an amel okeettee x emory.

As far as the other animal, I agree it looks spot on as an upper keys corn.

Thanks, Buzzard! Ian added my upload (the one with the blue hanger holding the rock hide up) so he must think I have an upper keys boy on my hands! :) That link was instrumental in me thinking I had Upper Keys, Boot Key, etc............one of those! :)

P.S. Your Avatar is just such a beauty.....................

Thank you. The avatar pic is "Mr. Spots" he is a hypomelanistic stripe (sunspot). As you have seen there are many wonderful, helpful people on here who are willing to answer any questions you may have. Welcome to the forum and the addiction of having corn snakes.

I do have a few babies.... then most are almost a year old. They have new babies at Clarks on Lomas. You can go in and see them. My husband works there while he is going to school. We just got home from checking out the new fish and reptiles. They have two baby aneries and a candy cane. So cute but I got a few coming from people on here. LOL

MarieK, head shots coming......(they sound like models).

Iguanagirl.......When did you sneak into my house and steal Ember? I am convinced they are the same snake. Can't wait to compare belly shots (coming soon, too!).

Nanci, thanks for the info.......I did read (after I sent the email) on your "Projects" page that you had not bred your pair yet, but then became convinced Ember was another captured Boot or Upper Key guy. It sort of makes sense because he is a little more timid (maybe being wild caught vs. captive bred) on first approach.

Off to snap some pictures............... :)

Lol they do look very similar.I will have to take a belly shot of my boy, his belly is very similar to Ember's. I would definitely say Ember is a Keys local corn. I love the Keys corns, they are very pretty corns.

Iguana Girl, I love your quote! "You will become responsible forever for what you have tamed..." Antoine de Saint-Exupe

Just fed Ember for the first time. He was confused at first, would not strike, so we dropped it for him............he went butt first first, figured that was not right and let go, went back first second, figured that was not right, and finally went nose first and knew he was on the money and down it went in 30 seconds. Flame struck hard and fast the first week we had him, but showed no interest at week 2 mark and week 3 mark (tonight). We even put him in a dark box for 20 minutes with just the mouse and no go. The people who sold him to us seemed hard up for money, so maybe he was not fed in a while and that is why he was so hungry at first. And he was on 2 babies or juvies of some sort and herpetologist said he was ready for an adult (and he was - he ate it fine, digested fine, etc.). So maybe he is just still satisfied after his first big meal? :)

Thanks for the tip, will cruise by Clark's this weekend! :)

I have read, read, read, read everything I can find until I am cross-eyed and I would bet dollars to donuts that Ember is a Boot Key Rosy Rat Snake like Nanci's Phoenix and Scarlett. The look, the bellies, the triangle shape, the size, strength, how wirery and agile they are, etc. Everything sounds almost identical! So, for now that is what I am calling him! I would love to know his story, where he came from, how he ended up in NM. I know I'll never know for sure. I feel so lucky we rescued him for a $60 rehoming fee. He is so beautiful. He is a little skittish but nothing aggressive. He just needs handled a bit more, I think. He fed yesterday so he is digesting for the next few days.

We went to our local pet store today and held a month-old Candy Cane. It was beyond adorable. I just wanted to bring it home......so cute. Only 2 snakes. Only 2 snakes. Only 2 snakes. That is my new mantra. LOL

I made contact with someone who has a reptile store in the Keys and he's pretty sure I have a Boot Keys Rosy Rat Snake on my hands after looking at all of Ember's photos. I am pretty excited. I finally got Grumpy Butt out of his viv (he tried to wrap around anything and everything, including the lamp next to his viv!) but after he calmed down he was fine! He is so strong and agile. And fast. If he ever hit open ground, I'd never see him again. He's a hider, too. He's so docile and timid. He would not even strike the mousy. We had to drop it in the bathtub with him. He just opened wide and slowly bit the head, did not strike. Very reluctant. Which puts me at ease some. He's just so strong and "whippy", if that makes sense! But, I am in love with him. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, thanks, Wldrose. She is sooooo proud of him. When she talks to him, she calls herself "mama". Just like I do when talking to her. It's adorkable! :D Here's her latest way to carry him around the house:

picture.php

That is way too cute! I can see my daughter doing that! LOL, she turns 7 next month.
She puts our bearded dragons in her stroller and pushes them around the house :)

Yeah, as soon as I laid eyes on that snake I knew it was a fine example of a "Rosy Rat", aka "Keys Corn". That is one of the nicest examples you could ever possibly hope to find too. That thing is just incredible!. It has ALL of the distinct tell-tail characteristics that they are noted for having. It's just as nice as they come in my opinion, and I've seen many of them over the years. That's a very special snake regardless of you not knowing it's actual origin.

cheers, ~Doug

Thanks, Doug. I really appreciate your comments on my snake. I just ran across another male for $500 online, and then I closed the page and had clicked through so many links that I could not find it again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, but I am still looking.

I am just in love with my special guy. I can't believe I got him for $60 - including his viv, heat lamp, huge hide, stick, water bowl, rock.................I love Craigslist.............hehehehe! But he deserves a bigger viv and I am going to move him up to a 33L as soon as financially possible. I had no idea 2 weeks ago a slithery little grumpy butt would come out of nowhere and steal my heart (and my wallet!) :rofl: But I am glad I got him, and that my youngest daughter and I have a hobby we share. We found my daughter's Creamsicle on there, too. $100 for him, his viv and a heat lamp. We had to provide hides, log, water bowl and a proper heat lamp, but he was so tame, docile, hand raised by one owner from 1 month old, it was totally worth it to give my 9 year old a snake we're completely comfortable with for her birthday.

Anyway, thanks again! :) Everyone loves hearing nice things about their corns.

Back