• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Viv: glass or plastic?

grdn1014

currently i have all my snakes in glass aquariums, but ive heard/seen a lot of people keeping their snakes in the large plastic-ware containers with holes drilled in the top.

ive never used them so mind all my dumb questions, but i dont suposed you can use an UTH on them, no? would you use ceramic heat lamps are are red light heat lamps 24/7 good enough? how well does the heat from ceramic/red light lamps penetrate the sometimes thick, somewhat opaque sides of the plastic-ware?

i figure it would be easier to keep it warm in the plastic due to lower air flow threw the lid opposed to a complete mesh screen lid, but prolly harder to have the preferred heat gradient.

thanks for your time :crazy02:

I don't use the plastic tub things, but I read on here someone said that it's ok to use an undertank heater with them. I think you have to make sure that you buy the kind of box with sliding locks on both ends. So the snake doesn't pop the lid off.
I'm sure someone who actually uses them will come along though and give you their experience. :)

I had always housed my collection in glass tanks (aquariums), until one day, low and behold, I was out of room. So I switched over to plastic tubs, and put them in a rack. Now I have 10times more room, and subsequently this has caused me to add even more to my collection. I still have one in a tank though.

Anyways, tubs are great--easy to clean, Iris brand is nearly clear, and it looks a lot neater, tubs are less expensive, and, not to mention, none of my snakes have complained about the move or their new abodes.

Needless to say, my tubs have drilled holes all the way around the sides, rack is open on the sides for ventilation, and the tops are covered (w/o the lids though--they slide in). And yes, you can use undertank heaters/heat tape on tubs without any problems.

Think of it this way: UTH's are not going to be set higher than ~90 degrees--and even it they got up to 100 degrees for some reason, that is no hotter than a summer day (at least in N.C.--maybe in Florida its a 100 right now :poke: ), so the plastic will not melt. Plus, I have found plastic tubs in general easier to heat than the glass, so the UTH's can essentially be set at a lower temp, in order to get the same achieved temp inside of the viv.

Be forewarned--more room equals more snakes :grin01:

I keep my six snakes in glass aquariums, standard tens and 20 longs. I do it just for the aesthetic. I like to display my snakes. But I also believe glass sterilizes more readily than plastic. If I ever keep more than 20 snakes, I may opt for the tub/rack system, but right now I'm happy with what I got.

the tub rack system with them in sliding plastic tubs seems really impersonal to me. At that point, the snake is an accessory like a special shirt or shoes you just pull out your drawer, instead of an intimate part of yourself. Thats just me though, I like my snake to be seen me all the time for anyone to see really, shes comfortable and my first baby so I spoil her. (points to the 18.00 branch toy just bought for her)

Neither... ;) I use wooden vivariums with glass sliding doors at the front. I love them and they look awesome but they do take up a lot of space.

I'm not a huge fan of the tubs as I just don't think they're as nice an enviroment as tanks and most of the tubs I've seen for sale around here I consider too small for adult snakes. However, I have considered tubbing as I'm running out of room for vivs; but I will only tub if I can find a large size, and my tubs will still have hides, plants and all the rest :wavey: I'm silly like that :)

My snakes have tubs with chopped barley straw as substrate and vaious fake plants and flowers for hides. They can burrow to their hearts' content, use the fake scenery to shed through, and as the tubs are clear, I can see them perfectly while they're cruising around.
The tubs are easy to sterilise with a reptile spray and boiling water when I do a complete change. Keeping tropical fish over the years, currently in a 4' tank setup, I know which I prefer cleaning out!
Each snake gets out for excercise at least once a week, and I'm looking for the next size up for the bigguns, as you can see from Norwood in an empty tub used for feeding he needs an upgrade

Attachments

• b135a.JPG
    b135a.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 110
  • s166a.JPG
    s166a.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 111
  • n147a.JPG
    n147a.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 110
Sorry for the slight :-offtopic but...

Janine, have you seen this website? They sell large clear tubs, including the Sterilite boxes which I haven't seen anywhere else in the UK. I don't know if they're a secure site or not, but have a look..

http://www.storageboxes.medways.co.uk/

If you do have success with them let me know, as I've considered ordering from them myself :)

:-offtopic too! Thanks Pliss, I'm probably sticking with the crystal range as the next size up is 3'x2' and all the tubs are the same height so will fit neatly in the new rack. (which I'm going to start today!)

I'll always keep my snakes in tanks or vivariums. My animals are my pets, and I'm proud of them. I want them to be displayed. They're not socks to pull out of a drawer, and they're not a shoe collection.

Then again, I only have two right now, and probably won't ever have more than four at a time. I just like everybody being able to see them.

ShadeFX said:
I'll always keep my snakes in tanks or vivariums. My animals are my pets, and I'm proud of them. I want them to be displayed. They're not socks to pull out of a drawer, and they're not a shoe collection.

Then again, I only have two right now, and probably won't ever have more than four at a time. I just like everybody being able to see them.

Do you know how offensive and judgemental that could sound? Because my tubs are clear, I can see all of my snakes when they are cruising around. They are my pets and I am proud of each and every one of them. As I stated before, they come out for handling and for exercise. I certainly don't regard them as socks or shoes, they are fascinating creatures that I am privileged to own. The only reason my rack is in my bedroom with my tropical fishtank is because I have 3 teenage boys and a large dog and don't want my precious herps and fish disturbed too much (plus I get to lay on my bed and watch them in peace)

ShadeFX said:

I used to think the exact same way. Then my collection started getting too large to have a million vivs around. So I built a rack and have no regrets. I have found that some of my snakes actually seem to prefer the tubs; they're more active and not so skiddish; probably because they feel safer or something. I still have 5 display vivs that I use though. I keep a rotation going on who's being displayed.

Rocky Raccoon said:
the tub rack system with them in sliding plastic tubs seems really impersonal to me. At that point, the snake is an accessory like a special shirt or shoes you just pull out your drawer, instead of an intimate part of yourself. Thats just me though, I like my snake to be seen me all the time for anyone to see really, shes comfortable and my first baby so I spoil her. (points to the 18.00 branch toy just bought for her)
ShadeFX said:

Are you guys serious, or did you just fail to think this through? YOU are the ones who are accessorizing and decorating with very shy animals that would prefer not to be exposed to you and your activities! My snakes have a choice: hang out in the front of the racked tub and gaze out to their hearts' content, or retreat to the rear and have nothing to do with me. I don't demand that they make themselves visible to me at all times. You can buy all the $18 toys you want, but guess what? Your snakes don't care. They want food, water, security, escape, and a little nookie when the time is right. That's it.

But don't get me wrong-- I don't think display vivs are evil, if adequate hides are provided. And if these are provided, the snakes will hide for much of your waking time, and it won't matter anyway. ;)

Roy Munson said:
But don't get me wrong-- I don't think display vivs are evil, if adequate hides are provided. And if these are provided, the snakes will hide for much of your waking time, and it won't matter anyway. ;)

I have three hides, and my rat snake is the only one who hides for the majority of the time, and that's only because he's in a new environment. My Corn snake spends most of the day cruising back and forth and climbing the branches in it's viv.

I was not trying to offend anybody with my comments, those are just my opinions. If you were offended by it, maybe you're overreacting a little bit.

I have to agree that I don't really understand the "my snakes aren't a sock collection" comments. Could you explain to me how moving a cherished pet from a glass enclosure to a plastic one miraculously demotes its status? :shrugs:

While I'm not a massive fan of tubs, I don't dislike them, and I certainly don't think that tubbing snakes is uncaring. As some people have pointed out, the snakes may actually prefer tubs from the security point of view. Some people argue that the keepers only tub snakes to make as much room as poss for more snakes in the collection; which would be a fair comment if snakes were squashed in to pickle jars, but if their well-being is not compromised why shouldn't the keeper have as many snakes as he likes?

ShadeFX said:
I was not trying to offend anybody with my comments, those are just my opinions. If you were offended by it, maybe you're overreacting a little bit.
Look kid, I realize that you are too young to fully understand concepts such as tact and diplomacy. But when you imply that those who are much more informed keepers than you are view their animals as socks or shoe collection items, I don't think it is inappropriate for them to respond. When you are older, you may also have a better grasp of the concept of hypocrisy. You state your opinion, and you think it's ok. I state mine, and it's an over-reaction. Get it yet, kiddo? :)

Roy Munson said:
Look kid, I realize that you are too young to fully understand concepts such as tact and diplomacy. But when you imply that those who are much more informed keepers than you are view their animals as socks or shoe collection items, I don't think it is inappropriate for them to respond. When you are older, you may also have a better grasp of the concept of hypocrisy. You state your opinion, and you think it's ok. I state mine, and it's an over-reaction. Get it yet, kiddo? :)

AMEN to that BROTHA DEAN! :santa:

I made the switch from tanks to tubs and I actually see them cruising around MORE than I did in their tanks, just now its a nice WALL of snakes to see cruising around. :crazy02:

Back