• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Warning- Zilla Low profile T5 Desert Series 48"

northwestcorns

This is the light that I had above Jewel for about 2 weeks 24/7.

If you followed the thread "Panicking-Skin Split". You saw the pics of Jewel my beautiful Lavendar ZigZag Female. I had the light on the way I did because we had just moved cross country and there was no heat available for my snakes except lights. I had this long light that was convenient to use over the top of two tanks, decreasing the number of things I had plugged in.

I finally got everything put on timers and the UTH's working. Jewel ended up dry looking and started turning yellow down her back. She shed and still looked dry. The other snake under that light was a striped snow. He got dehydrated looking as well, but after a shed and a couple of feeds with plenty of water he's doing fine. Jewels entire dorsal surface skin came off and we are working through that.

Thinking that this occurred not because of the light, but because it was on 24/7, I ended up using the same light over two other tanks. Since it was on a timer and these snakes were fine, I thought it would be okay. It wasn't. My Blizzard, Dairy Queen, one of the most beautiful snakes I have, started looking wrinkled after only about 10 days under this light, on a timer(10 on/14 off). She had hides and water, but she looked more and more dehydrated. I took that light and threw it into the corner of my shed. I replaced it with a couple of regular aquarium-type light strips. But the damage was already done. Although not as extreme as Jewel, DQ now has a sunburn. I brought her in and put her in a darkened, high-moisture environment, 70-75 degree environment with a small UTH for digestion. I'm spraying her with a moisturizing aloe treatment 3 times a day. She's eating and drinking and I think that after she has a shed or two , she should be fine.

I got this light from a friend who had it over their beardie. It was expensive and he didn't want to throw it away. I use the lights on timers to mimic the day/night cycles because there are no windows or natural light in my snake house. The light has no obvious brands or writing on it and finally I went and pulled it apart. I finally found the Zilla brand and the info about the bulbs faded and almost invisible. If anyone has any doubts about whether or not the type of lighting you have over your snakes matters, take a look at the pictures I have put up of Jewel before and after her skin split. I will also post pics of my Blizzard so folks can see her. Remember, DQ was a SOLID White snake that only showed small bits of a coral pink right after she shed.

Ignorance isn't an excuse, but I had NO idea that these were desert UVB bulbs. As I've stated before, I've been keeping snakes for years and I've never had a problem like this. I just thought this was a normal fluorescent light. I'm hoping that new folks will take this as a warning to check their lights and make sure that they are using lights that are appropriate for their snakes if they need lights at all. I'm tossing this light in the trash.

Attachments

• DQ.jpg
    DQ.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DQcloser.jpg
    DQcloser.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DQfull.jpg
    DQfull.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Jewel.jpg
    Jewel.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Splitskin.jpg
    Splitskin.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 146
So sorry this happened to you and your corns, but thank you for posting this thread, hopefully it will prevent this happening to someone elses animals :)

I hope your corns recover fully, with the care you seem to be giving them, I'm sure they will :)

Wow. I knew snakes could get sunburned, but I've never seen it with my own eyes. As tragic as it is, it's also a learning experience for yourself and everyone on here. I hope your snakes get well soon, and thank you so much for sharing this with us. :)

Most of my snakes are in my very large bathroom. Where I keep a 25watt bulb night light so I don't trip over something in the middle of the night...doing...stuff.
So most of my snakes, with intermittent periods of overhead (ceiling) fluorescent lighting, think it is night all the time.
Not a single one has uttered a complaint yet.

I'm sorry about what happened to your snakes, I really am... but did you not read the title of your thread?? A T5 desert bulb is a serious UV producing bulb... the animals it should be used on can basically sit in direct sunlight at mid-day for hours on end... they are biologically geared to handle it. Corns are NOT, as you clearly found out....

I know you said you "didn't know" what kind of bulb it is, but 1) it was on a bearded dragon viv, which IS a desert reptile that NEEDS high doses of UV, and 2) it's your responsibility as a keeper to find these things out! Sorry for your snakes pain and suffering, but man... use your head!

Thanks for that. I would never say I wasn't responsible. However, I've actually had the bulbs and strip for a few years and when I pulled it out I didn't reminisce as to where or how I had gotten it, I just grabbed a light from a box of them that I had, over the years I've collected dozens of lights, bulbs, and fixtures. With Jewel, I thought that her burn was a result of having the light on 24/7. It wasn't until I noticed DQ, who was getting measured amount of light, that I thought back to where I had gotten it and investigated what type of light it actually was.

The name of the thread is the result of me researching and finding the strip online and then putting it on here. I imagine folks that are new to the hobby and want their snakes to be a pretty showpiece may pick one of these up. It is fairly attractive as a light source and comes with the bulbs already installed so it may seem like a way to kill two birds with one stone.

I posted the thread to let people know that lighting and type of lighting does matter.

Thanks for posting this -

I wouldn't of known any better - I'm ignorant to lights, because I don't use them. Hopefully someone will learn from your mistake and this won't happen to any snakes in future. I know I'll be sure to do more research on lights before I build my boa cage for display purposes.

wait you said you put it over the tanks cause you had no heat? a flourescent tube usually doesnt emit too much heat. or did i misread that?

I'm sorry about what happened to your snakes, I really am... but did you not read the title of your thread?? A T5 desert bulb is a serious UV producing bulb... the animals it should be used on can basically sit in direct sunlight at mid-day for hours on end... they are biologically geared to handle it. Corns are NOT, as you clearly found out....

I know you said you "didn't know" what kind of bulb it is, but 1) it was on a bearded dragon viv, which IS a desert reptile that NEEDS high doses of UV, and 2) it's your responsibility as a keeper to find these things out! Sorry for your snakes pain and suffering, but man... use your head!

wait you said you put it over the tanks cause you had no heat? a flourescent tube usually doesnt emit too much heat. or did i misread that?

It was a mistake guys - We all mess up and I know its old to hear it, but it really does take a big person to admit it and put it out there for others to learn from.

Not sure what you mean, "twice is a habit". I had a box of lights and I dug them out to raise the temp in the room. The lights all put out some heat and help with raising an ambient temp of 45 degrees. This one felt warmer underneath, but didn't feel super-hot.

As I stated before, didn't realize it was the light that caused the problem with Jewel. Just thought it was the fact that it had been on 24/7.

I appreciate someone recognizing stupid things that people do and pointing them out. Although I thought I was pointing out pretty clearly that what I did wasn't smart in the first place. Please use the info or don't. However, the "stupid" horse is dead. Please stop kickin' it.

I also appreciate the private messages I've gotten from folks stating that they have had UVB burns on their snakes and weren't sure what to do about them. One person even had their snake put down. I guess with really judgmental folks on the board, it's hard to put yourself out there for help in a public forum if you do something wrong.

i wasnt judging. i make mistakes. im sorry if it came off that way. i was just trying to understand the post. i would admit that stuff happens and noones perfect. not even me. haha. i was just confused at first but then reread and got it. i just wanted more info as if i ever see this happening i could help someone. thanks for the post though, its probably gonna help more people than you can think of. so maybe your a new snake owners savior right now.

Thank you for the very informative post! I hope your snakes will be OK, esp, the lav.

Is the snow burned or did the UV light somehow bring out melanin in an amelanistic snake. Just curious--the pic made it look like the dark areas were where we would expect colored blotches.

Wow, I didn't realize that light bulbs could do so much damage to corn snakes. I'm really sorry about what happened to your snakes. I'm glad you posted this though so that us newer people can learn what to use and not to use and what to do about this situation if it does acure. I hope yr snakes recover from the sunburns fully.

Its good to know that you took the time to check your lights and find this detail.
Let your story be a good reminder to all of us here to check our lights.

I think that the "bring out the melanin in an amelanistic snake" makes most sense, I really didn't think about it like that. My husband said it looked like she had been laid on the grill.

Everyone will be happy to know that DQ shed today and looks about 95% better. Also, she has plumped up and doesn't have as many wrinkles. I have kept water with electrolytes in it available and she has been drinking a lot. I'll take new pics and post. She's pretty feisty having just shed and offered to eat my hand for me when I cleaned her box out today.

Photo Update of DQ

She looks much better after shedding today. I figure one more shed and she'll back to her old self.

Attachments

• dqlooksbetter.jpg
    dqlooksbetter.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 34
Wow, that looks like a great improvement, she looks so much better than in the previous pics!

I hope both your babies continue to do well and fully recover from this unfortunate incident :)

You must feel awful about your snakes. Admitting a mistake like this, showing the results and trying to help others is such a brave thing to do. I hope your snakes continue to heal and look forwards to updates.

Back