• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Warning- Zilla Low profile T5 Desert Series 48"

Northwestcorns, I did not harp on corns not needing light (especially UVA/UVB) in the first thread, and I'm not going to harp now. Good job finding the root of the problem, and good job posting pics and updates for all to learn from such things.
However...my main curiosity/concern is this. Whereas humans (with eyelids) never look at the sun, and are required to wear goggles in sun beds (UVA+UVB)...I wonder what might have happened to the lavender zigzags eyes, and your blizzard's. Of course there is no way to measure it, and it may not manifest until the snake(s) are much older. Bit the poor dears unfortunately could/can never close their eyes.
I'd be just clinically curious for a footnote if you notice anything 'noteworthy'.
I sincerely hope for both of them a speedy and complete recovery.

Corns and intense light dont mix very well, good lesson here (and thank you for sharing). Corns are night time hunters and are not seen often in the daylight in the wild. We tend to forget that when we want to see them in our vivs. I think we sometimes forget how fragile these snakes are.
Maybe another lesson, when moving or failure in heating, Corns live in the same temp. range as most people live. If the house stays between 70-80 , your corn will be fine until a UTH or Flexwatt can be fixed or added. Not saying it is optimal for them, but they will be fine for a bit.

Vetusvates, good call, I wonder if there might be eye damage or future skin issues... Hope not ...but it would be intresting to see

Northwestcorns, I did not harp on corns not needing light (especially UVA/UVB) in the first thread, and I'm not going to harp now. Good job finding the root of the problem, and good job posting pics and updates for all to learn from such things.
However...my main curiosity/concern is this. Whereas humans (with eyelids) never look at the sun, and are required to wear goggles in sun beds (UVA+UVB)...I wonder what might have happened to the lavender zigzags eyes, and your blizzard's. Of course there is no way to measure it, and it may not manifest until the snake(s) are much older. Bit the poor dears unfortunately could/can never close their eyes.
I'd be just clinically curious for a footnote if you notice anything 'noteworthy'.
I sincerely hope for both of them a speedy and complete recovery.
I'm sure I've read about cataracts thought to be due to lighting in corns?

Actually, I'm watching Jewel's eyes very carefully, DQ kept her head in her hide as she usually does. Just the aft end of her body seems to have been affected. However, both of them are definitely responding to movement and watching me as I walk by. This may be related to vibration, but even if I stand still in front of their box and move my hand back and forth, they definitely follow my hand. Jewel has decided to start spitting and striking at it as she usually does. She is a VERY ornery corn and has been since I got her as a little thing.

Back