• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

We Think this IS a Corn Snake!!

I"m glad you got that python, Jodu. What're you going to do with him when he gets to be 10', though? :grin01:

What a happy ending. Monty "Python" is a lucky little guy! Congrats!

On the flip side, what if they had never reported it at all? Old Monty would be out looking for a new dishwasher!

I bet the TV station would be interested in a follow up story on Monty! Then they could correct their mistake and educate the public. I think it would be a good human interest story.

Nanci

Thanks all. Monty seems content in his new critter keeper. He has even marked his territory! :grin01:

We thought about contacting the TV station for a follow up piece but I really don't want them coming to my home and making me into the crazy snake lady! I also think they will twist the story no matter what or how I say it. What we might do instead is let them know that I go to the kids' classrooms about once a year and if the school agrees let them come film at the school.

I'll keep everyone posted on his progress. When he reaches 10 feet I think the 20 gallon won't be big enough anymore. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,
Joanna

By the way I need to thank hazysnake for even posting this. I never would have known about this had you not posted it!

Also - I don't think the vet ever told them the snake was a python. I think they were unhappy with the broadcast as well. I am glad the name of the Animal Hospital was never mentioned.

Jo

Yeah, that's beleivable. And you're right, the news WILL ALWAYS twist things simi-boring (at least what they think is).

Good to know that Monty has a good home! :cheers:
And I agree with you about the news thing, I wouldnt bother with having them come out to your home....they'll just twist it all around again and put a negative spin on it.
i've seen it happen before with dog bite cases....the dog wouldnt even be a pit and the news will say "pit bull" just to get people to read the article or watch the news.

my BRB is a little over 2 feet, and when he bites me he draws blood. he has some serious teeth. i think this family just wanted their 15 mins of fame....

I think it is great you will use Monty as an education tool. What better way to have kids (and hopefully in the end) realize that this snake will never be a menace to them.

Congrats on being able to give Monty a good home!

jodu said:
By the way I need to thank hazysnake for even posting this. I never would have known about this had you not posted it!

Jo

hazysnake (my husband) and I just returned from a business trip and were thrilled to find out what happened to the "python" while we were away!

Thank you for saving this wonderful corn snake. He's adorable, and I love his name too. (Maybe your next corn could be called Eric, Eric the Corn Snake? Nudge Nudge?)

Just before we left, on the morning after the story aired, I phoned the newsroom at channel 7 (WHDH) and told them it was a corn snake and not a python, and that the people on this forum concurred. I also suggested that they get in touch with the people at Rainforest Reptiles for some expertise. The guy on the phone, who sounded rather young, said that they had done that and always do, and that they told them it was a python. I find that hard to believe. When hazysnake and I went to a pet expo in Boston
a couple of years ago, we sauntered up to Rainforest Reptiles' presentation and the host noticed our tshirts and announced, "Here come the corn snake people!"

This person in the newsroom also said, "we were told it was a python so we have to go with that." So much for a retraction, or responsible journalism. We were leaving for our trip to San Antonio in an hour, so we couldn't do any more.

BTW, hazysnake and I have 4 corns (1 cream and 3 amels) and the youngest one is called Jo Cool, and we call her Jo for short.

snoopysnake said:
BTW, hazysnake and I have 4 corns (1 cream and 3 amels) and the youngest one is called Jo Cool, and we call her Jo for short.

Great name! :grin01:

Maybe my next snake will be Erica - I'm a little heavy on the males! I'll see if the kids like the name. I let them name the snakes so that they feel involved in my craziness!

I emailed the TV station and got no response. I am sure many people told them it was not a python. They don't care. They just wanted to sensationalize the story.

Thanks again for posting the link. I would never have known about it otherwise!

Joanna

That is too sad! It angers me that people are SO stupid!

Joanna...I am SO glad that you were able to adopt poor Monty (LOVE the name, by the way!). I wrote to the station before I got to the part about you trying to adopt that vicious python. ;) I am thrilled to hear that he is safely home with you now. I wrote back and told them that they should air a positive story about Monty. It would be nice if they actually do it! I won't hold my breath, though.

That is wonderful! Thanks ( I tried to give you reputation points but I guess I don't spread them around enough!).

Monty is doing well and should gain back his weight without problem!

Joanna

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just now getting the significance of Monty's name...

What a perfect choice.

Nanci

How is Monty doing?

Hi, Joanna - we've been wondering how Monty is doing these days. Hazysnake and I are still often reminiscing about the dangerous "python!"

Our dear little Jo Cool died at the end of March. She was a beautiful little girl and we and our other three snakes miss her.

Monty is doing very well. He has gained weight, shed and is always trying to escape! I am not surprised he has succeeded in the past. I need to get some photos since he shed but here he is in his ACR photo.

Joanna

Last edited:
snoopysnake said:
Our dear little Jo Cool died at the end of March. She was a beautiful little girl and we and our other three snakes miss her.
I am so sorry for the loss of Jo Cool. It's always hard to lose a pet.

Joanna

Back