• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What best to bred a butter to?

scubadiver

The butter I got that was supposedly gravid still hasn't laid yet and I'm wondering if maybe she just didn't bred or maybe she was sexed wrong. Either way what would be best from my collection to bred to her?
normal het amel
sunglow unknown hets
amel

I'm trying to catch the double clutch stage since my first trys didn't work. Not one of the three females has laid and they are way over due. All plenty plump and old enough.

Breeding with the normal het amel will get you 50% amel het caramel 50% normal het butter

breeding with the amel will get you 100% amel het for caramel.

and are sunglow's just really bright amels? if they are you'll get the same as above

please correct me if any of these are wrong :)

A Sunglow is a selectively bred amel ( brighter and little to no whites). Anyway you choose you'll end up with amels, so why not breed the Sunglow and then you might find out if there's any interesting hets and also with Amels being so common, you will at least have some with striking colors hopefully.One question before you attempt to breed again: Do you have placement for all the hatchlings? Good Luck.:spinner:

The last time I put the two normal females with the males was 4/26 but I didn't see a hook up the time before that whe I thought I saw spillage was 4/10. The butter was sent to me. He said she was gravid and was bred to a hypomelanistic. He said she was due mid May but I don't see any signs of eggs no lumps though I think there is some swelling like people say shows a female is gravid but all three females are eating still and like I said no lumps.

No I don't have placement for all the hatchlings yet but I wanted to see what I got out of it. Though I have a few people waiting. Also is it to late to try to catch the double clutching time? Or do you plan that when ever after the first clutch? Thanks for any more information.

I don't have experience with double clutches, although I have a few females that are known to and I will find out soon I hope.
No I don't have placement for all the hatchlings yet
That's OK, just as long as you've put some forethought into finding or placing them :spinner:
You won't see "lumps" per se, rather a swelling along the latter third of the female akin to having eaten a rather long hot dog ( there are alot of threads dealing with what to look for here), does this make sense? Could you post some pictures? The fact that she's still eating normally ( large meals) would indicate that she's not gravid. Try introducing a male now and watch to see if they hookup (it can't hurt all she would do is reject him) especially pay close attention to her reaction.

The last time I put the two normal females with the males was 4/26 but I didn't see a hook up the time before that whe I thought I saw spillage was 4/10. The butter was sent to me. He said she was gravid and was bred to a hypomelanistic. He said she was due mid May but I don't see any signs of eggs no lumps though I think there is some swelling like people say shows a female is gravid but all three females are eating still and like I said no lumps.

When was her last shed and when did she eat last?

All three females ate a hopper two days ago. My two normals shed was I think a month ago. The butter has been here since the end of april and still has not shed with me. I'll try to get pictures. One normal and the butter seems swollen like they say but when they move over my hand people say I should be able to feel slight lumps, I don't feel anything. I've looked at many of the threads on here and the sights I've been sent for recognizing gravid females. Somethings look similar some don't.:shrugs:

When I took these pictures I realized that My biggest and oldest normal female is now showing lumps which you can't really see in the picture so maybe she is gravid. The butter is almost as big/swollen as the gravid normal. Though my younger normal is not really swollen any more. The first two are the butter. The next two are Little Mama (The younger normal). The last is rachael (The older normal). I'll post the last picture of rachael in the next post.

Attachments

• butter tail.jpg
    butter tail.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 111
  • butter tail1.jpg
    butter tail1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 111
  • little mama tail.jpg
    little mama tail.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 113
  • little mama tail1.jpg
    little mama tail1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 110
  • rachael tail.jpg
    rachael tail.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 115
I hope these pictures will help any questions you all had. I would like to know what you all think of which ones are gravid which aren't. I believe the second set of two pictures (Little Mama) is not gravid so if you think that also I might try to put her with Fox (the sunglow) again and hope it works this time. Thanks for your opinions and any information you might let me know. :)

Breeding date is not an accurate way to predict the date the eggs are due, the female can retain the sperm from the breeding and ovulate later on. When the snake stops eating and goes in shed then you can prepare for eggs.
If there was already a confirmed breeding it's not a good idea to introduce a second male if you want to know which male is the father to the clutch.

Ok thanks, considering the offspring would be close in appearance I think I'll wait. I'm not sure if there was a confirmed bred with the butter since she was sent to me afterwards. What do you think about the photos?

no eggs

so i guess all three of my females either didn't breed or absorbed the eggs. so i guess ill try some late breedings after the females shed. thanks for all the info and hopefully this time works.

Just out of curiosity, what are the weights on the females? They seem somewhat small, but it may be the camera angle. Also, have you put a laybox in with them just in case?

yes all three have had a moist lay box even while i was trying to bred them just so they could feel comfortable. They are all atleast 3 years old the butter i haven't measured yet. The older female was 350g when i weighed her on april 17. The younger one was 210g but got bigger. I'll go measure for an update.

The last measurements were after the females ate and they are getting feed tonight but the butter is almost 250g, Rachael is 300g, and little mama is 210g.

Back