• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What was your first snake?

What was your first snake?

• corn snakes

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • other Elaphe species

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Lampropeltis sp. (kings, milks)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Pituophis sp. (bulls, gophers, pines)

• Thamnophis sp. (garters, ribbons)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • African house snakes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hoggies

• other colubrids

• boids (boas, pythons)

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • hots

• Total voters

Thoth

the n00biest n00b
Corn snakes are great for beginners, but did you all start out with them? Or did you try another kind of snake first?

My first snake was actually a striped Cal King - but Joe owns him now. He never mellowed out for me and I like my snakes mellow. But he is fine for anyone else that handles him - he just seems to not like me. LOL!

Not long after I got my first cornsnake - Clementine - a miami phase. She is still one of my top three in my collection - for her personality and her looks.
ClementineJULSourcecontest.jpg

Corn snake for me.
Weirdly enough a year ago I never would have seen myself owning a snake. I fell in love :grin01:

ArpeggioAngel said:
Not long after I got my first cornsnake - Clementine - a miami phase. She is still one of my top three in my collection - for her personality and her looks.

You, btw, take the best pictures in the freakin' world!

My first snake was my cornsnake, Hokie. But the snake that made me fall in love with snakes was an exceptionally nice California Kingsnake my biology teacher had when I was 15 years old.

I fell in love with snakes while training to be a zookeeper. I was handling Ball Pythons, Kingsnakes, and Boas and just loved it.

My first snake, however, was a red checkered Garter since I couldn't afford and didn't have the room for anything larger. Now I have my BP and my new corn and am quite happy. :)

It was actually my parents snake and he was a 6 month old ball python when we got him. I was around 4 years old...and then we had to get rid of him because my grandma thought he would eat my little brother(which was just then getting ready to be born). His name was Hercules and he was one of the best snakes EVER!!!! He would wrap around my arm and I'd be the little girl with curly hair carrying my cool snake with me! I miss him soooo much!!

My first snake was a WC gopher named Gophy. LOL. I was like 7 and thought he was just the greatest. Unfortunately he died a horrible heat stroke death while under the care of a petsitter :twoguns: We were on vacation.
Never had one since than till last year. I want a gopher again though, don't have one now.. :grin01:

My first snake was a garter when I was about 9 or 10, named Pythius. When our 8 year old declared that he wanted a snake, I looked first for garters but found you can no longer own them in California (native species). I learned about corn snakes and the rest is history.

my first snake was a argentine red common house snake named red(very un-original but hey i was only 8)....had to give him back because i couldn't stand to feed him...gave him up and kept his food(a live black and white mouse).

he was a good snake i remember falling asleep on my bed when hold him and when i woke up he was still there! so glad i didn't lose him.

Beothon

First and only type of snakes owned have all been corns. Can't resist. Too cute. Quite thrilled with those that I own. :)

And, like Corny Noob, prior to a year & a half ago, I never imagined owning a snake. Now I'm as tickled pink as my 2nd graders with observing & handling them...:)

Mine was a BP, when I was a kid. Of course he came eating live, but I was able to switch him over to f/t. I had an older friend who worked for a large reptile breeder and they got their mice/rats from labs, and he could get me some from there. They all came with their throats slit, loose in a garbage bag, not all neatly vacuum-packed like we get today. He was a good snake. Seeing everyone else's pics of BPs today, I realize he was too thin, but I didn't know that when I was in the 8th grade through senior year.

The first snake I came into contact with was a common grass snake (natrix natrix). I could catch them in and around my garden, I was about 6-7 at the time. I always wanted to keep them but my folks told me you couldn't keep snakes as pets.
That started me looking to see why you couldn't have a pet snake.
when I got old enough to get my first snake I was about 17, it was a normal corn(you couldn't get any other type in wales back then).
Even though people say that corns are a beginners snake, I still have a soft spot for them. (never underestimate the power of the humble corn)

My first was Connor. I was told he was a cornsnake when he was given to me, but as he got older and his looks changed I believe he's probably a cornsnake cross/hybrid. Regardless he's my favourite (though I don't tell the others that) :grin01:

I voted cornsnake, for my first snake I kept as a permanent resident as an adult. Probably my first 100 catch, keep temporarily, release snakes were garters.

Nanci

The first for us was a corn snake, a snow that we named Pearl. I can't recall off the top of my head if Tim had snakes before we got married, maybe garters as a teen/child, but I'm not sure. Pearl was a first for me, wanted one ever since I was 13/14 and my mom always said no. Was a gopher snake in biology class that did it for me though! lol...

Jenn

My first was a checkered garter snake. He was very cool. I had him about three years, then he managed to escape and he was never heard from again. 2nd snake was a corn and it was all down-hill from there.

My first was a ball python about 11 years ago. I had to earn him doing jobs around the house that would take hours and I only made about $1 a job or less. My mom wanted to make sure this was something I really wanted lol. Needless to say I earned the snake in a month and have loved them ever since :D

Back