• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What was your first snake?

What was your first snake?

• corn snakes

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • other Elaphe species

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Lampropeltis sp. (kings, milks)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Pituophis sp. (bulls, gophers, pines)

• Thamnophis sp. (garters, ribbons)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • African house snakes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hoggies

• other colubrids

• boids (boas, pythons)

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • hots

• Total voters
Thses were my first snakes. Vincent and Tallulah

Attachments

• tallulah.jpg
    tallulah.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 48
  • vincent2.jpg
    vincent2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 49
I've done the snake thing about 5 times since the 70's, with a few years in between each venture. This time, I'm here to stay!
The first two ventures were both started with Florida Kings, the third was our beloved Cornsnake (a normal), the fourth was a California King, and this last time around was a Greyband King, Mr. Salty aka Dax, now owned by Katie! :cool:
Corns still dominate my collection, but I have a special feeling for the kings.

GregF said:
I looked first for garters but found you can no longer own them in California (native species). I learned about corn snakes and the rest is history.

Really? I didn't know that. I see garters for sale around here all the time, in little herp shops and even Petco.

Fisrt snake

My first was a rat snake,I like it because of the way he looked.He looked like a rattle snake, then I had a boa. All this was when i was about 18 I think maybe 19,now I have two corn snakes a snow and a norm would love 10 more! :crazy02:

ahhh I can think back and remember my first.

So young... so carefree.

WC rosy boas... like it was yesterday.

My first was a normal cornsnake I got when I was around 12. Sadly, it died after a few months. A few years later I bought an anery corn, and my addiction spiraled out of control after that.

GregF said:
My first snake was a garter when I was about 9 or 10, named Pythius. When our 8 year old declared that he wanted a snake, I looked first for garters but found you can no longer own them in California (native species). I learned about corn snakes and the rest is history.
Actually, you can own native Californian species in California, providing you have a valid fishing license. There is a limit on the number of each species that you can keep, but you are allowed to keep them. Now breeding is an entirely different matter and you must have a permit to do so.

Just think of all the Cali kings that are found in private collections all across the state. Myself included - we have 2. We're not going to be breeding them - not while we live here, but maybe down the line if we ever escape from this state.

Jenn

I have just bought my first snake about 4 months ago its a corn, My girlfriend wanted 1 also, so we have 2 now. I have a ghost and she has an aztec. i would also really like a ball python but she wont let me have 1 yet, im still working on her tho.

Mrs InsaneOne said:
Actually, you can own native Californian species in California, providing you have a valid fishing license.
Thanks for the info. In any case, I'm much happier with the corns, so it all worked out for the best.

My first was a Corn, hes around 3ft now.
Then a Royal / Ball
Then a Desert phase Cali King (Hes mental!)
Then another Ball to go with my female (hoping for babies when theyre big enough, theyre around 2ft now)

Love em all.

Now want either a Common Boa or a Burm but dont have the room until I get my own place.

No pics of the Royals on my computer unfortunatly

Attachments

• DSC00898.JPG
    DSC00898.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00892.JPG
    DSC00892.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 10
Mrs InsaneOne said:
Actually, you can own native Californian species in California, providing you have a valid fishing license.
Jenn

Not all California species can be owned..
I believe it's probably the San Francisco Garter, not to mention the Southern Rubber Boa- that's two that I know of that you can't own.

i guess you could say my first snake was a garter snake. I was about 12 at the time and found him in the driveway. I kept him in a 10gal aquarium .My pet hamster had recently passed away, so had an empty tank. AND my parents had no clue! about three days later i heard my mom screaming from my room that there was a snake! I had to let him go in the backyard.

I've recently got into cornsnakes and don't feel the need for any other snake at the moment. but who knows what the future holds

Back