• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What went wrong? or RIGHT?

My apologies to everyone including Jicin, but all I said was "here we go again" and I got told to go pick my nose. Now, excuse me all, but a little maturity goes a long way. If she is going to be rude, she should expect to get rudeness in return.

Anyway, back to the conversation in hand......

We went to the herp shop for a frog and came back with Bob, so it's not just you lol.

Last edited:
For me the trick to not coming home with any new pets (and this ESPECIALLY applies to herp shows) is to make a list of EXACTLY what you plan on buying, then going right in and buying it, then leaving. Another thing is to think of all the costs associated with a purchase above and beyond the cost of the snake (or lizard or tarantula or whatever). More food, more heating elements, another viv (or shoebox), hides, etc., etc. Plus the space requirements.

Not that it works, but if you come home with a new pet anyway, at least you can tell yourself that you tried.

hahah...awww...

that's so cute. you wanted a froggie. hahahaha! i had a tadpole when i was a kid, it died before it sprouted legs and stuff.

I don't usually have a problem with other animals, but I definitely know when I go to a show I have to leave my money at home or I'll end up with half a dozen corns instead of the one or two I was planning on buying. I started out wanting 1 snake, and somehow ended up with 5 :-D

All the employees at my local pet store know me by name. I never buy anything but frozen mice, but I always take a few minutes to say hi to the "residents". There've been jokes made about putting a cot in the back. lol

[/stalker] :laugh:

Yeah, I went to a show with the specific goal of spending no more than the cash I brought (and a $50 check, if I REALLY had to, and I only brought ONE check). I was going to pick up two cornsnakes that were donated to my classroom, get a gift for my step-daughter, and buy one of two things... a male adult or sub-adult appalachicola kingsnake or a female adult/sub-adult albino cal king. Alas, didn't find my apalachicola kingsnake, but did get a beautiful red-tail boa for my stepdaughter, got a deal on a 20 gallon aquarium for her (she will have to buy larger enclosures as her little newborn grows bigger), and a beautiful Albino Cal King adult. Of course it REALLY helps to be poor.

So many beautiful snakes... so little time... so little room... so many mice... *sigh*

Like you all said, back to the conversation at hand, I have been a victim of expo madness and come back with snakes that I hadn't planned on getting. It's a DISEASE people....an addiction...we all have it...! LOL Then comes the expensive part, vivs, food, substrate, heating, etc. But it is all worth it in the end as we all love our snakes!!!! :grin01:

So the Advice for the day is "if you go to a reptile show, go with no money, check book or plastic!" lol! I went to my first reptile show a couple of months ago. Only planned on getting one corn, but ended up with two. Helps to have the step son with you because you know you both have to pick out one and Dad won't say no. lol! Almost ended up with 3 but he wasn't buying that it would be for his nephew, who went with us. And my SIL said NO way was it coming into her house once she found out that it ate mice. Oh well! My goal is to eventually get a creamcicle or a candy cane.

Jean

Update

The male came out of his hide this afternoon and explored his enclosure. He looks really healthy. So this evening I opened the lid and he slithered right out. He crawled on my hand, and I let him explore me, I was really gentle with him. I know you all said wait, but I took my cue from him. I think it would have actually been more stressful for him if he didn't get to explore, he's really curious (or maybe just still hungry and looking for more pinkies?)The female hasn't come out of the hide, just poked her head out, so I let her be. We're thinking of calling them Brickface and Stucco.

Although I still want a BHS (big hairy spider), this was a happy accident. I was the only one that wanted the spider, I was going to just keep it on my out of the way desk where no one but me goes, but my entire family likes the snakes. They also have some kind of calming effect on me which is good because I'm one big stress mess.

Back