• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What's 4 Dinner? Baby rabbits!

Pal-O-Mine

Can you feed baby rabbits to adult corns????? If so why and what are the benefits???? I THINK I have a rabbit source for my slithers.

Devon

You can. Rabbits are leaner than rats and mice, that's really the only benefit I can think of.

I can't see why not. I would think that they would have more calcium then a mouse, maybe more fat as well. You would have to find a chart on the nutrients. My dwarf rabbits had an accidental litter last summer, my female is an escape artist. We had the male neutered...
30 mins old, I wear mens small gloves(ladys large) if that helps with compairing my hand size to the babies
005-5.jpg

We had a client come in last week that breeds dwarf rabbits and apparently there's a very high mortality rate at birth. Got me thinking that maybe I should check out rabbit breeders in the area and ask them......gently tactfully!......if they could save me the ones that don't make it. Maybe I should target those who breed meat rabbits.

Devon

Maybe I should target those who breed meat rabbits.

Devon

Meat rabbits are a bit bigger. Newborns are abt 50 grams, the top end of xl adult mice. But their runts and peanuts would be abt the right size. Peanuts, born without the ability to grow, all die and most meat breeders don't bother with runts anyway as they won't get to butchering size quick enough. I'm sure they'd be happy to make a deal with you. Who doesnt want to be paid for something they were going to throw away.

We just started breeding meat rabbits, first litter should be in abt 3 weeks if she took, and we plan on feeding the runts and peanuts to our snakes. Plus it will be great for our boas when they get bigger, won't have to pay $5+ per rabbit.

I know someone on here feeds his or her corns baby rabbits once in a while, mice, rats, and chicks make up part of the diets as well. I don't see any issue varying the diet.. they certainly would eat a nest of baby rabbits if they stumbled across one in the wild. I just wouldn't do it as your main food source IMO.

If you can find a breeder who does dwarf rabbits you can ask for the peanuts. Dwarf rabbits have 1 dwarf gene and 1 normal gene(aka true dwarfs, false dwarfs have 2 normal genes). You breed 2 true dwarfs and 25% will have both dwarf genes, which is a lethal combo aka peanuts. Some breeders cull them right away, some let them fade. I was lucky Nova's peanut was stillborn.

When I was breeding rabbits, we always had a guy buy off at least 30 of the babies that we were going to cull, either they didn't fit show standards or were vicious little things. He fed them to his Retic and Burm.

Gypsy, my oldest corn has taken small rats before, that were roughly that size or a little larger... Needless to say, she skipped a feeding day after that because of how much food was in her for such a long time. And her poo didn't look quite right. The only snake I feed rats to now is the Gopher snake.

They look fine for an adult Corn. I've fed Corns small rats with no issue. I think those would be a fantastic thing to mix their diet up with. I need to find some!

I wish I had a scale when they where born. They where heavier then they look. Rabbits nurse once a day, and that picture is them before they had a chance to nurse.
They grow very fast, of course Nova only had 2 living babies so they had milk for 4 lol.
24 hours old
017-1.jpg

So I would think that newborn babies would be ok for larger corns.

From the pic I agree with Nanci, that size looks too large. ( Although I'm sure most corns would beg to differ! ) But what the guy was telling me about albino dwarf babies seems tempting. They're much smaller and have a higher mortality rate.

Devon

My kids show rabbit at the county fair so we breed rabbits here. From time to time we do get still born babies. The runts and dwarf breeds are feed to the corns. While the others are fed to the ball pythons.

I was thinking that the peanuts, runts would be a lot smaller then my 2 babies are/where. Both my baby rabbits are bigger then their parents. So it is possible that they did not get the dwarf gene. Freddy(we thought she was a boy), the baby we kept is now 4.5lbs, Smoky dad is 2lbs and Nova the mom is 2.5lbs. I have not weighted the other baby Halo, because she was given to a friend, but she is bigger then their netherlands dwarf.

We've fed pinkie rabbits that die after birth to our corns, but JEEZ those look like 3-4 day old Flemish Giant babies. They are huge!

Back