• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Where do you put your corn snake to feed it?

Outlawgb

I feed my cornsnake inside of his enclosure, really for the simple fact that we have no problems with him staying where he's at, and he's trained to not come with my hands in the tank until I tap on something and call his name. Then he will follow the tongs around for a bit and he grabs the mouse whenever he sees fit to get it. The problem I'm anticipating is that I am about to upgrade his enclosure and will gain quite a bit of space covered by aspen substrate. I've tried to start feeding him up on his humid hide and he eatcs up there. But if I wanted something down in the substrate that I could just place in there only at feeding time, what do some of you use? There's only been a couple of times he's apparently ingested aspen, but I'd like to stop the risk now before he gets hurt. Just some ideas please...something easy to clean and no bacteria growth if its kept clean! Thank you so much. I've thought of all of the things that I could grab out of the kitchen cabinet a million times, so I thought maybe you guys had something different you really liked! Peace!

If you don't want to remove the snake for feeding, you can also use something like newsprint or the brown paper which is used for packaging as a barrier over the aspen. Do keep an eye on your snake when it's eating. A flake of aspen now and then isn't likely to cause problems, but it is possible that the snake can become impacted or even suffer a perforation.

It's true that in nature they may swallow indigestible bits when feeding, which mostly they seem able to pass. It's also likely that they are more physically active in nature, which may help them to process such things. It's best to minimize the potential for problems, as you said.

Back