• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Why the Co-Pilot does a walkaround in Texas

SteelJawEmily

This big rattler was found under the right wheels of a 747 in Texas.

Good thing they checked! And yes, everything IS bigger in Texas:eek:

giantsnake.jpg

Doesn't look that big right?
Giantsnake2.jpg

WRONG.

Hoooly :eek:! They should give the ground crew snake hooks instead of those little flashlight things.

That is one BIG rattler. Looks almost boa-sized. What do they feed rattlers in Texas to get them to that size?! And yeah, it does look like ground crews should be issued snake hooks! :rofl:

Um... the head shape looks wrong for a rattler. At least to me anyways.

I'll defer to your superior knowledge on that score. It isn't an angle I am familiar with, and I've only ever seen small Florida rattlers anyway. But I am pretty sure I see a rattle.

I'll defer to your superior knowledge on that score. It isn't an angle I am familiar with, and I've only ever seen small Florida rattlers anyway. But I am pretty sure I see a rattle.

I wouldn't say superior knowledge. LOL I guess we should wait until tyflier or StrangeCargo or someone else with a lot of rattlesnake experience can come on and tell us.

I wouldn't say superior knowledge. LOL I guess we should wait until tyflier or StrangeCargo or someone else with a lot of rattlesnake experience can come on and tell us.

I thinkit's superior to mine, Robbie. But yeah, those guys can probably tell us. Who posted the gorgeous pics of copperheads?

The first thing I thought is that it looked more boid than rattlesnake. Neither the head or the pattern look quite right. But the photo is not great, so it is difficult to say exactly what it is. I will show it to Bill. He has photo'd so many species that the ID often jumps out to him, even in less than great photos.

Either that or a photoshop magic picture. The body shape in the stretched out pic doesn'
t look quite on either. But eitherway...great fun post!

Guess that is always a possibility!

It is kind of striking me as one of the heavier bodied Epicrates, but not sure. If so, I doubt it was taken in Tx. But if it was a lost pet, or Photoshop, then I guess it could have been taken anywhere.

If its a rattle snake ( the head shape looks different, although the camera might have a really wierd angle *shrugs* ) , likely an Eastern Diamond Back.. Looks like maybe 6 to 7 ft long in the picture.. I honestly know less than very little of any fauna outside of my area of the desert, but it is my best guess.. Possible abberant pattern? Seems to me the Prarie Rattler would not get this large..

Intresting pattern...

I just showed the photo to Bill, without telling him what I thought it might be. His best guess was Cuban boa Epicrates angulifer. He is usually pretty good with snake IDs.

I got it from an email saying it was a rattler...but I can see now how it might not be because the nose looks all wrong.

I wouldn't doubt that one could get that big, the one that bit me was 6 ft long and THICK too.

I have no idea about the snake in question (but yes, the head does look boid to me as well) but I CAN say that I have seen a very large Eastern Diamondback that was a good 6 feet long when I was first looking over my property after purchasing it. My Mom and I were deciding where we would like to put up our respective houses (it was a 10 acre piece of land that we split between us) and stumbled upon the big rattler sunning itself in a small clearing. I tell you what...we both backed away very slowly, never taking our eyes off it. We hadn't disturbed it enough for it to rattle, but another day, we came to that exact spot again and verified it's size by measuring the fallen branch and distance to the palmetto bush it was between.

Back