• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wood in my vivarium.

aitchjay

Crash & Coco.
We're trying to make our viv a bit more exciting for our snakes. I wanted to put a some wood in for them to climb on. Is it best to buy the expensive stuff from my pet store or can I just cut a branch from a tree. I did hear you can use fruit tree branches, but I guess you have to treat it somehow first.
Thanks in advance.

The wood itself is not a concern so much as what might be on the wood. You don't want to introduce bugs or molds to the viv. If it is small enough put it in the oven and cook it say at 200*F for 30 minutes. If you can't cook it wash it real good with hot water and bleach solution. Rinse it good and let it dry before you put it in the viv.

There is nothing special about the expensive stuff at the pet store except that it is expensive.

I agree with wade's solution. There isn't really any reason to buy the stuff from the pet store other than it saves you the time of treating the wood.

I've found this thread very useful considering I was just pondering the same thing a few mins ago. Would it be bad to treat it in hot bleach water then "cook" it in the oven for 30 mins both? I like to be on the safe side with my snake...
I also ponder about the rock I found that is kinda concave... do i treat it with hot bleach water or... what?

if you want to go through the whole process of sterilizing the wood then thats fine me personally i would just buy one from your local pet store it should cost more then 30 dollars for a nice piece of wood depending on the size and look your going for.

if you want to go through the whole process of sterilizing the wood then thats fine me personally i would just buy one from your local pet store it should cost more then 30 dollars for a nice piece of wood depending on the size and look your going for.

But even these need to be cleaned, no?

I want to know if freezing will work.

I scrub mine down with steel wool to remove any bark, then toss it in the microwave for a few minutes. Make sure you put a cup of water in there with it so it doesn't burn.

yes I got a load of wood for my viv when the man was chopping some trees then baked them in the oven, loads cheaper than the pet shops they are a rip off over here.

They're a rip off over here too, claireree. I buy the wood for my fish tanks when I want certain pieces or a particular look, but even then I tend to buy in bulk and design my own look. I have, however, found some incredible pieces of wood on ebay for very reasonable prices.

Back