• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wood in my vivarium.

I think it is a lot harder to get wood for fish tanks then for snakes--many types of wood will release stuff into the water, break down quickly, or not sink at all. All the same issues that you have to think about snakes, plus so many more!

Grape vines are good for snakes, but can't be use in fish tanks--they break down too quickly and are generally not aquarium safe.

^You're right, sarcare....grapewood "looks" awesome in a tank, but it will break down quickly and start to rot. You can use a lot of the hardwoods found in nature, but soft woods are definitely not for fish. Now grapewood in a snake viv, I think, looks amazing. I love the different shapes it comes in as well. Mopani wood is also very beautiful with the dark and light gradients throughout the wood. No idea on prices, though.

I have a moderately sized piece of malasian driftwood in my snake viv that I took out of a fish tank. It looks good, but it's somewhat hidden by all the silk plants. I also have a fake wood piece. I filled all the holes with "Great Stuff" foam so the snake wouldn't crawl in there. It looks much better in a viv than in the aquarium.

not once have I cooked, boiled, or otherwise prepared wood, moss, or leaves for a reptile viv. not at home, not at the zoo, never. I'm sure that maybe once in a while some bugs might get in, but I have never had a problem and I'm not at all convinced that it's necessary to go through all that crap just to put a branch in with your snake.

not once have I cooked, boiled, or otherwise prepared wood, moss, or leaves for a reptile viv. not at home, not at the zoo, never. I'm sure that maybe once in a while some bugs might get in, but I have never had a problem and I'm not at all convinced that it's necessary to go through all that crap just to put a branch in with your snake.

better safe than sorry, i guess.

Back