• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yet another dumb PETA thing

The difference between McD and PETA is that parents are SUPPOSED to be responsible to choose what their kids are exposed to in the world, and they can avoid fast food restaurants if they want to. But when the schools circumvent that control by allowing brainwashing in school, that is not ethical, in my opinion.

I have also read about a national news channel that is broadcast in schools, paid for by corporations, and sprinkled with the brainwashing ads. I don't think it is right to expose kids to these tactics in school, whether it is humaniac groups or McDonald's. BUT - outside of school, it is the parents' responsibility to decide which is correct. I only wish all parents realized this (or cared enough) to take that responsibility REALLY seriously.

That was actually one way the bad guys won in that book, they started brainwashing the children, even got a law passed that all children two & up had to go to kind of a state run daycare & if the parents didn't sign them up on their own they could have their child taken away.

I believe that is pretty much how it worked in the old USSR, too. Women worked, just like men, and the government ran daycare, and fed the kids the state propaganda from infancy. Great way to grow the kids up the just way you want them!

bump!! seems drizzt and kathy have hit the nail right on the head with this one! i totally agree with most if not all of there posts! :)

Agreed! I was about to say something about D's comparison to terror- thought that went a little far, but after reading those quotes I have to say if not Bin Laden you can at least compare them to a radical cleric who preaches violence.. It's really not that far off. Unbelievable. Actually I don't know why I'm so surprised..

PETA is clever enough not to directly involve themselves with bombings and raids on research clinics, but like Kathy said, they DO fund those things... they also drop a lot of money to the HSUS, which in my mind puts that group in bed with terrorists as well.

Here is Penn & Teller on PETA (there is of course some cursing in this, but lots of good info)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exLa6saV9o

I agree that Mc'Donalds packaging is geared towards children, which really isn't right considering the health problems unhealthy diets can cause. So I'll blame Mc'Donalds and Peta for unfairly and unethically involving children into a tug of war for corporate greed.

I was going to hit this, but Kathy did a nice job of it...

I will say this... where is the personal responsibility? If I as a parent let my kid eat McDonalds 7 days a week, and they're hella fat, how is that McDonald's fault? Why don't we try placing blame where it belongs-- on shoddy, stupid parents who would rather give in to their demanding brats and their own conveniences than actually cook healthy meals for their family?

The difference between McD and PETA is that parents are SUPPOSED to be responsible to choose what their kids are exposed to in the world, and they can avoid fast food restaurants if they want to. But when the schools circumvent that control by allowing brainwashing in school, that is not ethical, in my opinion.

Agreed. A most excellent post!

I was going to hit this, but Kathy did a nice job of it...

I will say this... where is the personal responsibility? If I as a parent let my kid eat McDonalds 7 days a week, and they're hella fat, how is that McDonald's fault? Why don't we try placing blame where it belongs-- on shoddy, stupid parents who would rather give in to their demanding brats and their own conveniences than actually cook healthy meals for their family?
That's exactly what I posted, you left that sentence out of your quote.

I agree that Mc'Donalds packaging is geared towards children, which really isn't right considering the health problems unhealthy diets can cause. So I'll blame Mc'Donalds and Peta for unfairly and unethically involving children into a tug of war for corporate greed. But the parents are really to be responsible for providing healthy choices, and teaching children the importance of treating animals properly, not Peta.

PETA disgusts me beyond belief. That they espouse the idea that an animal is better off dead than as a beloved pet reeks of the highest hypocrisy.

I guess the difference Michael is that you'd STILL blame McDonald's for something, regardless of the fact that they are simply a corporation that provides options to consumers. I don't blame them in the least, any more than I blame Big Tobacco for the fact that 2 out of 5 of my HS students are smoking regularly.

" Originally Posted by Michael823 View Post
I agree that Mc'Donalds packaging is geared towards children, which really isn't right considering the health problems unhealthy diets can cause. So I'll blame Mc'Donalds and Peta for unfairly and unethically involving children into a tug of war for corporate greed. But the parents are really to be responsible for providing healthy choices, and teaching children the importance of treating animals properly, not Peta."

Yes, I agree - the parents SHOULD be responsible. But I don't exactly BLAME PETA OR McDonald's for trying to get their messages out (and attractively packaging their "products") - as long as they stick to doing it in the "real world" where parents have some control, if they bother to exercise it. I would call it underhanded when they try to sneak their message in, undetected by parents, during school hours. THAT, I do blame them for, but I place even more blame with the school system that is SUPPOSED to be watching out for the kids' interests, in their parents' absence. I EXPECT McDonald's to primarily be looking out for their bottom line. If people want to buy healthful food, or junk food, they will be happy to oblige either way. But I EXPECT parents and schools (not fast food joints) to look out for the best interest of "their" kids.

Another sneaky trick is to use Sat. morning cartoons as the advertising vehicle. But in this case, I blame parents, because they CAN monitor that. My friend has a 4 year old who watches cartoons on DVD because she doesn't want the child exposed to the HUGE amount of advertising that is engineered to get directly into the brains of unsuspecting children. SHE is being a responsible parent, and hopefully her child will benefit from her choices.

Back