• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Zeus has been tested positive for Crypto

Yay! Go Zeus! I'm so happy that things are finally turning around a little for you....dang...now I gotta go set up a quarantine area for my new snake!

Update

Just another Zeus update. He's regularly getting his twice a week dose of oral medicine. It is getting more difficult to administer his medicine since he now is stronger and more reluctant to open up his mouth. He appears to be gaining weight, and is looking healthier. Zeus is now up to 2 fuzzies every week. So far no regurge, and he seems to be pooping a few days after his meal. His "bulge" is getting less noticeable, but it could be because he is gaining weight and thickening. We're gonna try feeding him a small hopper this week. So far so good...

Happy Holidays! :santa:

That's great to hear! The possible weight gain is a good thing, I think. At least he's no longer losing. Keep up the good work, and keep your chin up. Animals can surprise us with their ability to throw off things.

Keep up the updates!

AnnieChris said:
I hope this isn't a really stupid question

I will not tolerate your insolence!

I'm not 100% sure about spreading crypto. I have done some reading about it and it sounds like it might be rare to transmit the way you were wondering. This link might give you some info.

Crypto Transmission
:)

Virago said:
Its been almost a month, How's Zeus, Did the hopper work for him? Hope he's doing well. :)

zeus is doing surprisingly well. we continue to give him his twice a week dose of meds. he has been eating a hopper once a week now for a few weeks with no regurges. i think he's ready for adult mice since he gobbles up the hopper pretty quick (and acts like he wants more). i'll start him off with a small adult mouse tomorrow. also, he seems to be digesting his food and pooping normally. the bulge is hard to distinguish now (it's almost gone).

i'll keep you guys updated!

I'm not sure if you're still giving zeus meds (great to hear he's doing so well) but if you're finding it difficult to give him his meds because he's getting stronger, is it possible to inject it into his food and feed him it that way?

bradhart said:
I'm not sure if you're still giving zeus meds (great to hear he's doing so well) but if you're finding it difficult to give him his meds because he's getting stronger, is it possible to inject it into his food and feed him it that way?

we feed him live mice, so not possible. i try to handle him on days when we don't give him his meds so he doesn't think everytime he comes out he gets a shot of meds down his throat.

on another note, he ate a good size adult mouse last week after his shed (yeah!!!). i was worried at first because it was a big, but he digested it w/o any problems.

--ry

SnowflakeMadeira05 said:
I'm so glad he has gottin better than he was in the beggining. Do you know about how long he will stay on his meds?

6 months, then he'll get retested again for crypto. since he no longer regurges, i'll probably bring in a poop sample for testing when the time comes.

unfortuntaely, although he may seem to be getting better, he could still be carrying the disease :(

I thought I would bring this tread up cause I've read a lot about snakes reguring multiple times and I thought it would be benifical to bring this tread up so people can read it. It's very sad cause the outcome always ends up bad.

I recently had a scare with my female Kitana. Thank God she was negitive otherwise all my snakes would more then likely have it. I'm going to do more research and make a thread with general information on it's effects in general and on other animals.

At my work we did a case study on crypto and how it works. The case study was on a cat named Gracie, she's still hanging in there but she looks like shes very old when she's only two.

I just thought this would be good to bring up again because it is a devastating thing =( Poor Zeus

Just curious.. seeing as how its now june and this thread was started the end of last year and no new posts have been done on how zeus is fairing? I hope he is doing well, but does anyone know for sure?

xXMetalsAngelXx said:
At my work we did a case study on crypto and how it works. The case study was on a cat named Gracie, she's still hanging in there but she looks like shes very old when she's only two.

Sounds like a good idea as long as you make the distinction between the various species of Crypto and what animals certain species will and won't infect.

snakers2486 said:
Just curious.. seeing as how its now june and this thread was started the end of last year and no new posts have been done on how zeus is fairing? I hope he is doing well, but does anyone know for sure?

zeus is still alive! we stopped his meds back in late april, but he hasn't been retested again. his lump is still present, but there was one day when i was handling him and his lump looked even larger. i don't know if the meds help to suppress the lump. we were sad that day, and even thought about putting him down. he's been shedding, but he doesn't seem to be getting any thicker (i could still kinda see his spine). checked him out last week and didn't notice the large lump. it seems to come and go, or he must be able to hide it :shrugs:

zeus is eating, and i know he gets hungry because he comes out of hiding and starts hunting around for food. when i take him out to eat, he strikes the mouse fairing quickly. he did regurge once (5 days after feeding) when i fed him a good size adult mouse. i believe his digestive tract can no longer digest food at a normal rate, so it's smaller portions more often.

anyone know a source for frozen mice? frequent visits to the pet store to get mice is time consuming. i did give him a frozen hopper last week, and he ate it up immdiately, but they don't sell packages of frozen mice.

--ry

Back