• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

*Graphic* Why NOT to house your snakes together.

JenC

Missin her snakes
Why NOT to house snakes together:

"who's that there in my boa's belly? "
amfhwh.jpg

"different angle...hmmm, must be something big...weird "
amfi20.jpg

"Last meal I fed him wasn't THAT big...wait, wasn't I housing him w/ my ball...where'd she go? "
amfiae.jpg

"you eat your roommate and you better hold down the nutrition boa, because you just wasted a bunch of my money...darnit you regurgitated ...jezz, I'm suprised, it's not like the ball's AS BIG AS YOU ARE psycho ...hard to believe "
amfifp.jpg

"yes, that's a post regurg. pic!!! Ewww...can't believe it, ball just too big? well check out it's partially digested head!!!!! "
amfjsy.jpg

I kno i have posted this before, months ago. But with newbies still poppin that question, i think this needs to be stickied.

Were these your own snakes?

Whilst it's an awful lesson to learn the very hardest way, we're not talking about cross species cohabitation here. Housing 2 cornsnakes together has a very different level of risk when compared to housing 2 kings together or in this case, a boa and a BP.

I'm sad for the poor BP and whilst the thread brings to attention the risks of cohabitation, it isn't really to do with cornsnakes at all and therefore should be under the general chit-chat section.

I'll add this to Jen's post. Although it does look like they were being transported together and not necessarily housed.
snaketwins.jpg

Intresting corn pic... I presume that one ate its room mate too!>????

Regards.. T and J

Two different species or the same species; it really doesnt make that big of a difference because your still risking the same risks (unless of course its a species known to be cannibalistic).

The only difference between this and corns is that when housing two different species together your often sacrificing one or more's husbandry needs, the snakes are in the exact same position for mistaking the other as food even when fed seperatly; the scent still hangs on the other snake and in the air.

Do you mind if I use these pictures on other forums when the topic comes up?

DaemoNox said:
Two different species or the same species; it really doesnt make that big of a difference because your still risking the same risks (unless of course its a species known to be cannibalistic).

The only difference between this and corns is that when housing two different species together your often sacrificing one or more's husbandry needs, the snakes are in the exact same position for mistaking the other as food even when fed seperatly; the scent still hangs on the other snake and in the air.

I got the corn cannibalism photo from here, in a similar thread to this years ago, so as it's not mine and has already been distributed around, I don't think anyone would object to you using it elsewhere.

princess said:
Were these your own snakes?

Whilst it's an awful lesson to learn the very hardest way, we're not talking about cross species cohabitation here. Housing 2 cornsnakes together has a very different level of risk when compared to housing 2 kings together or in this case, a boa and a BP.

I'm sad for the poor BP and whilst the thread brings to attention the risks of cohabitation, it isn't really to do with cornsnakes at all and therefore should be under the general chit-chat section.

Nope not at all my snakes. 1. i wouldnt house 2 diff species together, 2. i wouldnt house together at all period unless i have to (right now i have some corns doubled up..but it was because my mom was out of work for so long with heart complications and my dad needed the electricity bill to go down for a while to get back ontrack)

DaemoNox said:

Nope i dont mind if u use them, i actually encourage it.

You know when I opened this thread and started reading and looking at the pictures I could start to feel my blood pressure going up. Because Jen, you know better and I assumed these were your snakes. Upon further reading I realized this is just a reminder of such things. Yes these are a reality and this is why I believe that all snakes should be housed separatly except for breedings and this is just a risk you have to take.
Not even accounting for housing two different species together, that just makes it all that much more wrong in my opinion.
Josh

Tracee said:
I got the corn cannibalism photo from here, in a similar thread to this years ago, so as it's not mine and has already been distributed around, I don't think anyone would object to you using it elsewhere.
They are (were) mine I bought them in Daytona and the vendor put them in the same deli, and I did not think anything of it until I got home and found that.

BTW those are amel blood females that I paid $125 each for the eater died after regurging it's sibling.

That's so awful khaman. Did the vendor offer to replace at least one of them or were you left holding 2 dead snakes and a lighter wallet?

Awfull accident!

Not to be rude, but I don't see anything indicating bloodred at the one hatchling visible.... Usually they do look different form regular amels.

Khaman said:
They are (were) mine I bought them in Daytona and the vendor put them in the same deli, and I did not think anything of it until I got home and found that.

BTW those are amel blood females that I paid $125 each for the eater died after regurging it's sibling.
So it really was here I picked up that photo. I hope you don't mind me saving it, as awful as it is to look at I just had to, I couldn't believe my eyes. I'll take it off my Photobucket though if you have it stored elsewhere?

To go along with that; look at the tail of the snake thats not being eaten; to me it looks like a fold of skin as if it were dehydrated, which could easily contribute to that situation.

DaemoNox said:
Do you have any background on those pictures?

Unfortunately No:( But i got them off of albinoburmese.com and the guy there got it from somewhere else..

Joker said:
You know when I opened this thread and started reading and looking at the pictures I could start to feel my blood pressure going up. Because Jen, you know better and I assumed these were your snakes. Upon further reading I realized this is just a reminder of such things. Yes these are a reality and this is why I believe that all snakes should be housed separatly except for breedings and this is just a risk you have to take.
Not even accounting for housing two different species together, that just makes it all that much more wrong in my opinion.
Josh

Goose. I wouldnt do that, especially housing a python with a boid/boa..

Princess

I hope by seeing the picture of the corn snake eating another corn snake that you realize the original post can and does have to do with corn snakes.
They can and do cannibalize.
Although it doesn't happen regularly, it does happen, and is a definite factor to consider when discussing cohabitation of corn snakes.

Jimmy Johnson said:
I hope by seeing the picture of the corn snake eating another corn snake that you realize the original post can and does have to do with corn snakes.
They can and do cannibalize.
Although it doesn't happen regularly, it does happen, and is a definite factor to consider when discussing cohabitation of corn snakes.

Jimmy, I am fully aware that corns can cannibalise each other...

BUT

This is a thread about a BP and a boa and should have been posted in the General chit-chat forum. We need to respect that this is a cornsnake site and post non-corn threads in the appropriate sections.

Do you disagree? :shrugs:

well

this is exactly where I found the post.
General chit chat

look at your own statement.
The one I quoted.

The point I was making is there IS a risk and it IS a serious risk and needs to be expressed when talking about cohabitation of corns.
Or any other species for that matter.

The fact that you get upset about where someone happens to post a particular thread escapes me completely.

Back