• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

co housing snakes

do you agree with co housing snakes?

• Total voters
Definatly not. The only good thing that can come from it is saving a little room. Snakes by nature are solitary, that doesnt change in captivty.

It's a little bit difficult to answer as a general "snakes" question, as some are cannibalistic and you wouldn't want to keep more than one per viv even if they were the same species.

Might be better re-phrased as a Corn-only question?

i was mainly basing it around corns becuae it a corn fourm, but it is the same with other snakes, you woulnt house a python with a boa

If someone absolutely refuses to seperate for whatever reason; they need to house them together responsibly. Which means strict seperate quarentene for a few months, and they must have a complete seperate setup ready, and the female must not be kept with a male untill shes of breeding age. With those, you really loose that one benifit of saving space if you need to quarentene them for so long and the seperate set up already there.

I would never house more than one even of the same species, even corns. I have seen pics of cannabalism in corns too, probably extreme cases but still no need for the risk.

No. It's not worth the risk to my snakes and it's easier to keep everything organized as well when they're separate IMO. Definately not worth it though.

~Katie

No, no, no and no. Not of any species unless they are the type that live in large numbers in the wild...garters, rattlesnakes (at least during hibernation)...Too much health risk.

Good idea to do a poll on this! I know it doesn't mean you have to go off the results, (the old 'if everyone jumps off a bridge would you follow' thing), but it's nice to see pretty much united opinion. To all those who are happy with their co-habbing (I mean people who know all the facts and have researched then come to their own informed decision), all the best, but it's not for me.

Last edited:
Certain times and certain reasons

Hello to all, this is a great thread. I would like other members opinion. I have been doing something for the last 2 breeding seasons (breeding corns since2001) that seems to accomplish very interesting results. After brumation, I will house 3-5 young males(first time breeders) together in a 150 gallon well furnished fish tank. After about 2-3 weeks of warming up, eating well...... Something awesome starts to happen. They start to wrestle big time, (never hurt each other for those not familiar with this amazing behavior) which we all have seen. And the interesting results are; 1) it seems to be the best exercise that they could receive in captivity. 2) their appetite (never fed together) is better than an average male during breeding season. 3) when placed with a female to do the wild thing, the male is much quicker and will not take no for an answer. After breeding season the males are housed separately. My conclusion is, they appear to be healthier and breed more readily. Any input would be great. Thanks REG

I believe most of us who breed are sucessful only due to the temporary cohabition of a few snakes; at issue here is housing them permenetly together.

It is an interesting issue, I believe any healthy young male with interests of breeding when locked in a room with other males like that would work up a pretty big appitite after awhile. I could imagine though, if kept together for too long or for some shyier males that it could get pretty stressful, one that they cannot escape from as easily as they would in the wild.

LOL I sorry REG... I just imagined that same scenario with human males hehe.... ROFL.

I used to house garter snakes together, but its kind of different, if you've ever seen a garter snake pit hehe... 10's of thousands of garters in a big pit in the ground... its truely amazing to see. After seeing the "corn-in-corn" pictures I'd never put the corns together unless they were mating. Not to mention parasites etc with new corns. *shudder*

Used to do it. Won't again. I've had females breed at very low-weight. I've seen signs that can only be interpreted as stress. I've seen a lot of male combat too. It looks like great exercise, but there have to be less stressful forms of exercise than having a bully twice your size trying to kick your $%% (and chew on your neck), with nowhere to run. Can't see any real benefit to cohabitating corns, except for the keeper, and there are real risks.

I wouldn't and never will, but don't count on me as an expert, I don't even have my corn snake yet, and have only been a ball python owner for a month. I have heard enough bad things about co-habbing that I would never do it, particularlly in my situation. We will have one cornsnake, and one ball python. I think it is a bad idea.

I know people who co-hab with no problems.
But I, personally would never co-hab. The cons outweight the pros by far. If you can't afford to buy another viv for the second snake, then you can't provide what that animal needs, and therefore aren't a suitable owner. No offence to anyone who co-habs, that's just my opinion :shrugs:

Back