• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

co housing snakes

do you agree with co housing snakes?

• Total voters
Given the strong opinion against co-habitation on this forum (for all the right reasons) I am impressed that some individuals have stepped up to indicate that they practice it, for specific reasons, at specific times.

I do not recommend housing snakes in groups because most people do it to save space and money, and I believe that if you are going to do it, it will cost you more in time and money than you will save. Individual housing is the safest, most controlled environment we can offer the corns we keep. I housed corns together once in the past, attempting it with two adults females and one went off feed, so I went back to individual housing (and eliminated the 'stress susceptible female from my breeding program!).

I keep animals to learn from them and about them. Some of the reading I have done suggests that solitary life may not be normal for most snake species, that pair bonds may be important for reptiles and that communities exist in nature. It may be that they are not that often recognized because the individuals that are observed most often are not typical, they are just the ones that are easiest to find.

To see the impact of group housing in large cages on young females I chose 3 yearling females to move to a 3'X4'X4' cage with an enriched environment while their sisters remained in the typical rack housing. They were removed to feeding tubs for meals. These girls grew faster, ate more consistently and had, in my assessment - which may be biased, much better body muscle tone than their sisters. They frequent the same locations at the same time, but don't seem to 'interact' much with each other.

I now have two of these enriched environments set up for young females - within each there are snakes that spend more time together than apart, and some that spend most of their time alone, but I don't have the sample size nor the observation time to draw any conclusions - I do find the observation adds to my enjoyment of these guys and the communal housing has not had an observable detrimental effect. I am interested in their performance with breeding next year.

I am also housing some of my adult breeding pairs together (40 gallon wide tanks) after the first observed 'lock-up' this year. In the past the males have always had 'visitation privileges' and returned to their own tub when breeding was confirmed. Though the males are experienced breeders and quite aggressive when first introduced to the girls, I have not seen any suggestions of them persistently hassling or driving the females once left together - as has been suggested to be a potential problem. The pairs I have (currently 4) spend most of their time in the same hide, intertwined. There is breeding activity ususally in the early morning, males still are not feeding and females are removed for feeding. The males explore the tank when the female is removed, have not seemed interested in breeding immediately when she is returned. Again, numbers are low and none of the females have come close to laying yet. If they don't appear willing to settle in their layboxes or appear disturbed, I will return the males to their own tubs, but I do wonder if we sacrifice some of the normal species interaction that might take place in the wild in our efforts to provide complete safety.

Again, I stress, I do not recommend that owners house corns together - mostly because sexing errors are just too common!! Most of my corns are housed individually. But I do suggest that experienced keepers have an open mind and consider that complete safety may not equate to an optimal environment - there may be social and species interaction needs that are not being met in our accepted practices.

just my opinion

mary v.

I tried it for a short period of time with some hatchlings that were already being housed together. it lasted about 3 weeks. One of them would go on and off feed. Seperating them did the trick but the one snake is still half the size of the other and they are sisters. I'm still not an 'absolutly not' person, but for now all my snakes are seperated, including my newly hatched clutch.

some one told me an out come befire, i sid co houding is a 50/50 thing, but then some one said its more like 80/20

and hey, llok at the results, the no is 79!!! closing up on 80

your_only_nightmare said:
some one told me an out come befire, i sid co houding is a 50/50 thing, but then some one said its more like 80/20

and hey, llok at the results, the no is 79!!! closing up on 80

sorry....

someone told me an out come before, i said co houding is a 50/50 thing, but then some one said its more like 80/20

and hey, look at the results, the no vote is 79!!! closing up on 80, whoever said it, very good prediction!!!

your_only_nightmare said:
sorry....

someone told me an out come before, i said co houding is a 50/50 thing, but then some one said its more like 80/20

and hey, look at the results, the no vote is 79!!! closing up on 80, whoever said it, very good prediction!!!

That would be me. ;)

my experiences.

My experiences are, in the past I've kept babies seperate. But around the one year old mark I've set up females together till breeding age. With no noticeable problems. I voted NO for the simple reason that it's more a, better know what your doing and know the signs of an animal stressing out about being together. It's just far easier to keep one snake to each cage. Much easier at feeding times. Plus then you know who regurged that partially digested mouse...or who has that weird colored poo... Ect, ect. Plus the trouble you have when two hungry snakes meet you at the door and you have a hint of mouse on your hands and you want to seperate them...yeah, good luck! Your going to get bitten!
Russell

mine were toghther but when i notced my female was getting stressd from my male constantly want to breed with her i seperated them, now shes much more calm than what she was. so my answer is no!!!

ratsncorns said:
I never have, nor will I ever, co-hab. These animals are in my care, and are my responsibility. I will care for them as what is optimal for them, not me.

Exactly how I feel too. Well said.

I think there's a world of difference between cohabitating by beginners versus those with lots of experience.

I do not buy the "I know the risks" argument. Having read a few posts about cohabitation does not constitute "knowing" about it. There are those of us here who have cohabitated corns and seen some of the bad things that can happen. That is "knowing the risks" IMO.

As far as the whole "monitoring" issue goes, it is irrelevant when you're talking about people who cannot tell when their snake is ovulating or gravid, both perfectly normal and obvious conditions, let alone if there are any subtle signs of stress. Check out the number of "is my snake gravid/ovulating?" posts made by people who have been keeping corns long enough to have raised hatchlings to adults. We all go through a learning curve to pick this stuff up. There is no shame in being a beginner and not having learned "everything" yet, but it's simply naive to assume that signs of stress, if there are any, will be noticed.

The issue of "it's ok if they are two females" is also not so simple. Sexing corns is not a 100% positive thing. In my experience so far there has been about a 1 in 15 error rate in sexing. I'm talking about corns that have been sexed by people who have 10-20 or more years of experience and have hatched/sexed thousands of corns. Everyone makes mistakes on that, including the guy at the pet shop who probes them and tells you they're both females. Given a ballpark estimate of a 1 in 15 error rate, with 0.2, the chance of having a male/female pair is about 1 in 8. With a group of 0.3, the chance of one or more of them being a male is about 1 in 5.

vanderkm said:
To see the impact of group housing in large cages on young females I chose 3 yearling females to move to a 3'X4'X4' cage with an enriched environment while their sisters remained in the typical rack housing. They were removed to feeding tubs for meals. These girls grew faster, ate more consistently and had, in my assessment - which may be biased, much better body muscle tone than their sisters. They frequent the same locations at the same time, but don't seem to 'interact' much with each other.
Cool. Again, something that an experienced person would notice, but a newbie would not be able to properly observe and correct if it's going wrong. ;)

I do find your experiment interesting! I'd be curious to see what happened when you swapped those three with the ones in the racks. :)

Great post Serp!

Many want to see it as a simple yes or no question. I think it is great for the advanced hobbyist to look for new challenges and perhaps find new info from trying new ways of doing things.

Unfortunately, it tends to be the beginner who most often wants to do the co-housing arrangement, and the beginner is the most likely to have problems because of the lack of experience in noticing subtle signs and symptoms, as you have already mentioned.

Somebody once said "keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out". I really like that saying!

Question for vanderkm?

I have a question for vanderkm? You stated that you had provided an enriched environment for snakes that were kept together vs a more sterile environment for snakes who were kept by themselves. And the enriched environment snakes did better......

Have you set up the same environment for single snakes vs multiple snakes and compared results? So that the single snakes had the benefit of the enriched environment without any stress of co-habitating? Perhaps it was not the co-habitation that makes a difference, but the enriched environment (and the added exercise....) I hope this makes sense.

sue

What exactly is an enriched environment anyway? Can you describe what you do to make it enriched?

I love the quote Kathy - very true!! and I hope my mind isn't open enough to be losing what I have left at my age :) !! I agree that Serp makes many good points - points that I mostly agree with. I value this site for the opportunity for dialogue on different methods of husbandry.

I think there is a difference between 'knowing the risks' and being prepared to accept the risks. I wouldn't profess to fully appreciate all the risks involved in any decision I make with keeping my animals. There is no way that even the best monitoring will prevent or predict all major problems or stresses. I am, however, prepared to accept the consequences of my decisions, even if they may have a negative impact on my animals - when I believe there is a chance of some benefit that will outweigh the risk - and for me, increased knowledge or the opportunity to explore potential improvements is a substantial benefit.

I certainly know that even the most careful and experienced person can mis- sex snakes. I can see the error rate of 1 in 15 being based on checking the sex a couple times as hatchlings by popping, but suggest that it would be considerably lower after popping and probing an individual - but I grant that this is a calculated risk. Again, I would not endorse co-habitation in general, and do not raise the option here to suggest it is routinely ok. I hope the discussion of it does not lend credibility to that. I simply want people to consider that the somewhat 'sterile' environment we typically use may not be optimal.

In terms of this 'experiment' - I won't be swapping the girls in communal housing for their sisters that have been rack housed. I moved the group of three sisters into a similar enriched cage after I saw the progress of the first group over about 8 months. I kept two sisters in rack housing but they were brumated, so only partially comparable.

It is very hard to make comparisons in growth rate or feed efficiency between the groups because only one of the originally rack housed females has converted to eating rats, but the three housed in the communal cage eat rats. The second group of three that are now in communal housing exhibit behaviour very similar to the first group and I think their growth rate and muscle tone has improved since moving them from the rack, but this is pretty subjective. I plan to maintain the brumated girls in a rack and keep the other two groups as stable trios until brumation this fall, and then compare performance as breeding females the following spring.

sue frederick said:
I have a question for vanderkm? You stated that you had provided an enriched environment for snakes that were kept together vs a more sterile environment for snakes who were kept by themselves. And the enriched environment snakes did better......

Have you set up the same environment for single snakes vs multiple snakes and compared results? So that the single snakes had the benefit of the enriched environment without any stress of co-habitating? Perhaps it was not the co-habitation that makes a difference, but the enriched environment (and the added exercise....) I hope this makes sense.

sue

Sue, you make a good point - I have not looked at single corns in enriched environment - and I don't doubt that it is the 'enrichment' that could account for the majority of any difference I think that I see between groups. The snakes use all parts of the enclosures, they have many options for temperature and environmental choice - certainly not what they would in the wild, but more than they have in my rack.

My objective was really to assess whether there were negative effects from communal housing that would outweigh what I though would be the positive effect of an enriched environment. I wanted to help prepare my young females for breeding by giving them the best environment that fostered at least some hunting behaviour (I also let them get hungry before feeding) and exercise.

Secondarily, I am interested in whether there is any behaviour that suggests interaction with other individuals is more frequent than might be random, or accounted for by making choices based on environment rather than the 'desire for' interaction. I remain unconvinced about this - so far I think snakes often choose the same hide area, not for 'companionship' or correct temperature, but perhaps because if fulfils a need for 'tightness' in the hide - the press of other bodies fills a hide and provides a sense of security - that perhaps may be as important as temperature gradient to them - and may be something we are missing in what we traditionally provide.

I think there is a lot to learn from watching our animals and documenting what we find, in addition to being well aware of what the accepted, safe practices are. I am sometimes reluctant to post with respect to controversial topics because I do not want to suggest that anyone else should do what I am choosing to do, but at the same time, I don't think it benefits us to always err on the side of complete safety -

mary v.

BeckyG said:
What exactly is an enriched environment anyway? Can you describe what you do to make it enriched?
saw your post when I posted yesterday, but didn't have time to respond til now -- hope this description helps

My 'enriched' environment is just better than how I routinely house corns in racks - I don't have a picture of my large cages but the basic rack set up (6 months to young adults) is a sweater box, water dish that they can hide under, lid from a smaller rubbermaid as a platform - they hide under it and rest on top of it - provides a bit more variation in temperature range, betachip hardwood bedding changed weekly, heat provided by UTH at back of tubs, range from 75 cool to 85 warm area - like this
05_Oct_10_rack_with_lids_inside_reduced.jpg

The enriched cages are 4 ft long and 4 ft high, 2-3 ft wide, painted plywood, with applewood tree branches extending from base to top, multiple shelves, vents, various hides (mostly ceramic plant pots, some tubular - vacuum pipes, some flat ground cover hides) on all levels, heat from UTH on some levels, heat bulb at top level, betachip on floor level (this is almost always where they defecate). Temperature gradients on the top shelf level range from 75-95 degrees. Ranges on other shelf levels range from 70 to 80. Things like water location and hides change intermittantly. Would like to have an 'underground' level where they had the option of burrowing and seeking lower temperatures, but not at the moment. I do wonder if we keep our captive corns at temperatures above what they would choose - see many times that they prefer the cool parts of the environment unless actively digesting. It is no replacment for a natural environment, but I think it provides more options for them than a tub - especially with respect to exercise.

mary v.

I applaud your approach to trying out new things and evaluating the results.

I have a couple of screen cages that I think I will set up in the screen room by the pool. It is mostly shaded, with some dappled sunlight. I will fill the cages with plants and divide a couple of litters of babies, putting 1/2 in the screen cage, and 1/2 in the usual shoeboxes. I will put the screen cages in pans of water to deter the ants that would love to eat f/t pinks. Then I will put cut up pieces of pinks, scattered around on some newspaper in the bottom of the cage. Hopefully, the smaller pieces of pinks will deter the babies from grabbing the same pink, since there will be a lot of pieces and they will go down quickly. I will try to monitor them during feeding, but there is a possibility that one may grab and eat another when I am not looking. I think I can minimize, but not eliminate, that risk. But if it becomes a big problem, I will discontinue the experiment. But what if it turns out that the screen cage babies grow twice as fast with very little work, and what if they seem twice as healthy and "happy" in the screen cages?

Yes, I think that it would even be better if I could buy a screen cage for each baby. But that is not possible. It is either shoeboxes, or a communal screen cage - whichever works better.

As already stated, there is always some risk when trying something new. But trying something new is what keeps the hobby fresh and exciting, and sometimes provides new answers and new ways of doing things.

I haven't voted nor read the entire thread but I don't hide the fact that I co-house a number of my snakes. It works for me and I've only had one slip up happen in 3 years of co-housing. I had a female ghost housed with an apparent female anery which turned out to be a boy and I'm now the 'proud' owner of a clutch of 11 eggs that will be anery het hypo...not an intended pairing but oh well, I have another ghost female to put towards the ghost x ghost project so not all is lost this season in that department. I've done a pretty good job at sexing my own snakes but when I've purchased a snake and not double checked, that's when I've been dissapointed.

And I had wondered why the ghost wasn't receptive when I put her with my ghost 1.0...I thought she was ovulating when in fact the lumps I could feel where fertilised eggs!

vanderkm said:
I keep animals to learn from them and about them. Some of the reading I have done suggests that solitary life may not be normal for most snake species, that pair bonds may be important for reptiles and that communities exist in nature. It may be that they are not that often recognized because the individuals that are observed most often are not typical, they are just the ones that are easiest to find.

I now have two of these enriched environments set up for young females - within each there are snakes that spend more time together than apart, and some that spend most of their time alone, but I don't have the sample size nor the observation time to draw any conclusions - I do find the observation adds to my enjoyment of these guys and the communal housing has not had an observable detrimental effect. I am interested in their performance with breeding next year.

I am also housing some of my adult breeding pairs together (40 gallon wide tanks) after the first observed 'lock-up' this year. In the past the males have always had 'visitation privileges' and returned to their own tub when breeding was confirmed. Though the males are experienced breeders and quite aggressive when first introduced to the girls, I have not seen any suggestions of them persistently hassling or driving the females once left together - as has been suggested to be a potential problem. The pairs I have (currently 4) spend most of their time in the same hide, intertwined. There is breeding activity ususally in the early morning, males still are not feeding and females are removed for feeding. The males explore the tank when the female is removed, have not seemed interested in breeding immediately when she is returned. Again, numbers are low and none of the females have come close to laying yet. If they don't appear willing to settle in their layboxes or appear disturbed, I will return the males to their own tubs, but I do wonder if we sacrifice some of the normal species interaction that might take place in the wild in our efforts to provide complete safety.

I am VERY impressed with this post. Quite interesting to say the least. It is good that people are indeed not completely close-minded when it comes to these things. I believe co-habbing can be done, but it needs to be done right. You can also not make a generalized statement either... each snake is different in its own way and will react differently, some will be stressed, some will be aggressive, and then, that lovely few that are fine. I think in order to be co-habbed, it cannot just be someone with a pair of snakes that wants them to live together or save space. Their behaviours must first be evaluated. Space is also another important factor, they must have sufficient space to get away from each other. When I bought my corn, she was housed with another snake, an anery if I remember correctly. Both were close in size and they were getting along fine, they were curled up sleeping together before I took mine home. Mind you, these were young snakes at the time, as mine is not even a year old yet, but it just goes to show that it can be done. Most people are very quick to seperate babies, but these two were fine... The point is, you need to know what you are doing before attempting it, and it depends greatly upon the snakes as individuals. IMO it can be done, but not with all corns.

Very interesting discussion. I've always co-habited adults - at first because that was just how my first three arrived, then over the years from choice, as I came to understand the individual Corns, how to "read" their reactions/body language and how to mitigate the risks.

I'm especially keen to see the outcome of Kathy's experiment in keeping a group of hatchlings together. I've successfully kept small groups in adult-sized Conticos before, but always separated them to feed and allowed an hour "settling down" time before re-introducing them.

I've found that this is a viable approach, given sufficient space and hides. The proportion of non-feeders remained the same whether kept together or individually. I've never had an instance of cannibalism; I know that this can happen, but I have accepted the risk.

I suspect communal feeding will demand a lot more room than I have available, so this is going to be fascinating to watch as the trial develops.

Back