• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mexican Black Kingsnake Owners

debb

How do you know you are getting a REAL Mex. Blk. when they are young? Any specific markings I should look for? I want to end up with a solid blk. one. Also, how is their temperament? I've heard they are nice, mellow snakes. But I read one post that they are one of the meanest. But they are awesome looking. :sidestep:

If you go to a shop or a breeder and get an all black king the odds are its a MBK.
they may have a little red or white on their belly but all in all they are solid black.
Here is a picture of my ebony.
ebony2.jpg

the other black snakes you can get are Black Rats and those are easy to spot along with a Black Pine snake as well. The other really cool black snake is the Black Milk snake. These guys are fantastic as well as the MBKs. I own both, mbk and black milk. There is a huge size difference though. MBKs stay a little smaller while the BM grow up to and can pass 6 feet.

Black Milk
blackmilk.jpg

Now the personalities of the snakes, I find them to be really mellow. They can be spastic as juvies but that is to be expected. I have been grabbed by my yearling male mbk. He thought I was a mouse, it was cute. But my large girl is just calm and relaxed in my care. I refer to her as my Lap snake. I can sit her on my lap and she will not move for about 10 minutes before feeling the need to explore.

Now she has grabbed at me and immediately let go and has grabbed my girlfriend during feeding day. My GF had been holding snakes and rodents, she smelled of King snake food heaven. I believe this is the only reason why she grabbed her.

How does the black of each compare? As adults are they identical? I love your black milk.

Nanci

Thanks so much. I have also been researching the blk milksnake. They are awesome as well. But don't they take awhile to turn blk? Aren't they born with color? If so how will I know it will be a blk one? We are picking up our Banana King this week-end. I don't know much about the milk snakes. Actually never even considered one til I saw the Blk. one.

black rats actually look like corns when babies and they grow to be big and solid black

I also have a black milk and I think hes FABULOUS! If you are after something a little more unusual, and even more interesting to watch progress then get a black milk.

Mine still got his baby colours but he will eventually be a 6ft+ big black giant monster!

Attachments

• noir.jpg
    noir.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 105
  • noirfeeding 012.jpg
    noirfeeding 012.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 104
Nanci said:
How does the black of each compare? As adults are they identical? I love your black milk.

Nanci
Thanks Nancy,
Well for me both are pretty calm and gentle snakes. The Milk is a bit more aggressive for feeding time and you do have to watch your hands but that is about it. Both are used as Hands on Animals and are touched by children. I will have to post pictures of my 5 year old niece holding Ebony my Mbk.
I do find that the Black milk tends to move more and wants to explore more so than Ebony but I feel this a individual snake issue.

Thanks for posting that pic. I thought they had colors as a baby. How do I actually know what I am buying is a Blk. Milk? Just by name? I am not good with morphs.

debb said:
Thanks so much. I have also been researching the blk milksnake. They are awesome as well. But don't they take awhile to turn blk? Aren't they born with color? If so how will I know it will be a blk one? We are picking up our Banana King this week-end. I don't know much about the milk snakes. Actually never even considered one til I saw the Blk. one.
Debb,
As you can see, yes they are born in color but eventually turn into the dark negative world as they know it. My guy is solid black except for a lighter section underneath on his belly, its a remnant of one his rings.
So are you looking for a young Goth snake that is solid black from birth to adult hood? Or are you looking for something that will eventually turn black.
Black Rats are not bad either but it also depends on the locality for their blackness. Some area snakes are blacker than others. Wild Caught Minnesota black rats I hear are not as black as east coasts.

debb said:
Thanks for posting that pic. I thought they had colors as a baby. How do I actually know what I am buying is a Blk. Milk? Just by name? I am not good with morphs.
Debb,
This is not a morph at all, this is a separate species, Lampropeltis triangulum gaigeae. It is best to get it from a known breeder or a trusted shop.

I don't mind if it turns blk. over time. I read a post of someone who bought a blk milk. But it turned out to be some other kind. So, it didn't turn blk. I just want to make sure I get what I want.

tricksterpup said:
Thanks Nancy,
Well for me both are pretty calm and gentle snakes. The Milk is a bit more aggressive for feeding time and you do have to watch your hands but that is about it. Both are used as Hands on Animals and are touched by children. I will have to post pictures of my 5 year old niece holding Ebony my Mbk.
I do find that the Black milk tends to move more and wants to explore more so than Ebony but I feel this a individual snake issue.

Cool! But I meant the actual black color- is that the same, or different? The milks always look like a bluer black to me.

Nanci

debb said:
I don't mind if it turns blk. over time. I read a post of someone who bought a blk milk. But it turned out to be some other kind. So, it didn't turn blk. I just want to make sure I get what I want.

Probably because they were sold a nelsons milk which are identicle in colouration to black milks as babies. But Nelsons have far less black tipping and much wider white bands.

Nanci said:
Cool! But I meant the actual black color- is that the same, or different? The milks always look like a bluer black to me.

Nanci
Yes you are right, they do have a bluer coloration and their scales feel like silk. They are very smooth and soft to the touch.
While MBKs are shiny black and feel squeaky clean after a shed.

They were also sold as hondurans. I guess I better learn what to look for if I want to get a Blk Milk.

How does an MBK compare to Corns as far as temperament, size, handling, life span, viv conditions and size, etc... One of these may be my next snake. Really nice looking snake. Thanks!

tsst said:
How does an MBK compare to Corns as far as temperament, size, handling, life span, viv conditions and size, etc... One of these may be my next snake. Really nice looking snake. Thanks!
I personally keep them like my corns and for temperament.. read my quotes above. I personally feel mine are just as nice as my corns.
Viv conditions should be about the same. They are not a huge king, So a 20 or 15 gallon should be fine.
And remember the MBK club is exclusive.

I can't find a forum for it. Is it invisible til you get your snake? lol. I want one bad because they are beautiful. Now i gotta have one to become a member! But seriously, we are SUPPOSED to go to a show this week-end. (we always miss them because of last min. work). I don't know where else to look for one. Reptile shops don't carry them. Well, I'll keep searching.

Back