• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Petco Nightmare (Cohabbing not so great)

:/ Is it really that common for pet stores to do this? I mean, I've seen it, sure, but there also seem to be plenty of BIG stores that don't. Does PetSmart cohab? Always looked like their snakes were separated to me.

I've seen petsmart cohab, but not colubrids. I have seen about 4 BPs crammed into a viv smaller than a 10 gallon. I asked the manager about it, and have never seen that many in one viv since. They're still doing two to a viv... but I figure it's improvement. :shrugs:

As for discussions on cohab: This thread is specifically about cohab in a certain store. It's extremely difficult to participate in this thread without presenting an opinion. And personally, I feel that saying "i don't care" after seeing photographic evidence that a pet was eaten by a cagemate shows a very irresponsible owner. In fact, I went to that users profile to check if they were a troll or not... and was pretty surprised to find out they have actually aren't.

And that wasn't one cannibal, it was two! One successfully ate a cagemate, the other tried and regurged!

What is a valid point, my snakes didn't eat each other/become gravid by accident YET? There is no benefit to the snakes by cohabitating- only potential harm.

Well said Nanci. I dont remember who it came from but someone made a comment that pretty much sums it up.

There is a risk in co-habbing, but there is no risk at all involved in housing corns separately.

JustineNYC: Great avatar, definitely cute, I can't get mine to sit still long enough to get the Santa hats on 'em!

Guess I'm lucky, the petco near me actually has some people that know what thay are doing. Everyone else that works there are idiots though.

Personally, I'd rather not see this sink down into another flame war over co-habbing. Bsr8129 clearly has made up his/her mind regarding the issue. If/when something happens, it happens.

Maybe that poster should keep his/her opinion to his/herself then, instead of looking for trouble in every thread where the topic is discussed. His/her initial post in this thread was trolling, pure and simple. He/she has next to no experience in keeping snakes, so what value is his/her opinion anyway? Allow me to do the math for you: it's worth nothing. :dancer::dancer::smash::grabbit:

:laugh01::laugh01:Let me be the first to recognize Dean's new signature... hilarious Dean, I laughed out loud. This is one of those subjects that has been/always will be a sensitive subject, but a little comedic relief never hurts.

:laugh01::laugh01:Let me be the first to recognize Dean's new signature... hilarious Dean, I laughed out loud. This is one of those subjects that has been/always will be a sensitive subject, but a little comedic relief never hurts.
Others have recognized it, and it's been there for at least a week. But thanks. :) ;)

Well, sometimes I'm a :dunce:, but I have a legimate excuse Dean, I've been on vacation!

Anyway, if it's been on there a week, your mongoose & snake must be like peas'n'carrots by now, heh?

Thanks for posting. I found the pics disturbing but also very helpful for those that think it is a good idea.

What is a valid point, my snakes didn't eat each other/become gravid by accident YET? There is no benefit to the snakes by cohabitating- only potential harm.

Your wrong and right on the subject Nanci.

The benefits are... you only need one tank...one heat source and one water bowl. And you can say to your friends .."it looks cool when they hang out together". These owners just don't give a rats tail about it or care to learn on how to improve their standards, so I don't care to debate with them. As far as pet stores, for them, I think that the risk of losing one or two hatchling out weigh the cost, time and space to properly house them. They got them wholesale anyway, way of thinking . I don't think it will change. the pet they sell are only to get you "in the door". So they can sell you something else. Only breeder will make the effort of proper housing because of the risk to their stock and such.

Good Day.

My new worm is out helping read cs.com! If I kept all my snakes together, I could afford much more expensive snakes since I wouldn't be wasting all that money on vivs! I bet no one cohabs lavbloods or cinders...

There's only one pet store I've been to in the Bay Area that I've noticed does not house their snakes together (The East Bay Vivarium). All the associates who worked there were very concerned for the safety of the animals and were quite knowledgeable. Stores like petsmart and petco aren't so much about the animal as they are about the sale. They are a retail business so I honestly wouldn't expect much from them. Unfortunately it's at the expense of the animals housed there.

Before anyone throws it out there; yup I am a newbie but under no circumstances would I want senior members (or anyone for that matter) to throw my opinion under the bus because I may have a differing opinion on a subject. I don't have years of experience to put under my belt with snake care, but while my snakes are kept separately, I'm personally not opposed to those individuals who choose to cohab their snakes. I do not believe that they’ve made the decision to cohab because they could care less about their snakes. The decisions of those who choose to cohab should be respected and the non-cohabers and cohabers should agree to disagree and leave it at that.

My two cents on cohab vs. non-cohab is that regardless of anyone's stance on the subject matter, there's no need disrespect anyone for their opinions. Some people merely state their opinions and leave it alone and others mock (not necessary),. *Sigh* there goes my partially thought argument on the matter… ( partial due to stressful arse day at the job :(

Oh one more thing.. I'm not insinuating that non-cohabbers are bad nor am I saying that non-cohabbers do not have valid concerns/arguments...but as we (non-cohabbers) tend to be in the majority I've noticed that cohabbers are ganged up on (its easier to as they are in the minority anyway). As a new member, I'm not enthused about some of the ways I see some individuals reacting to cohabbers...sure some of these reactions are due to frustration and tiredness from seeing the same topic repeatedly; or frustrations from what one may consider to be negligence; or individuals feeling strongly about what they consider to be the best way to raise snakes (from experience or research); or the fact that some people choose to go down a different path in snake care from some experienced members in these forums...all I’m really saying is that some people need to chill out on the attacks and mocking. There are better ways to make points.

I disagree. Risky husbandry should be pointed out, not accepted because we have to be all touchy-feely politically correct go diversity Care Bearsy. Until someone can name one way cohabitating benefits the SNAKES (and anthropomorphic BS is not an acceptible reason) not the OWNER, then I'm going to say you're taking a risk with your snake's health and maybe life. That's your right- but it's not right.

...I'm personally not opposed to those individuals who choose to cohab their snakes. I do not believe that they’ve made the decision to cohab because they could care less about their snakes. The decisions of those who choose to cohab should be respected and the non-cohabers and cohabers should agree to disagree and leave it at that.
I'm not opposed to any INDIVIDUAL, just the practice. And I don't have to respect EVERY opinion that I come across-- I doubt that even you do that.

I disagree. Risky husbandry should be pointed out, not accepted because we have to be all touchy-feely politically correct go diversity Care Bearsy. Until someone can name one way cohabitating benefits the SNAKES (and anthropomorphic BS is not an acceptible reason) not the OWNER, then I'm going to say you're taking a risk with your snake's health and maybe life. That's your right- but it's not right.

I'm not saying that one should accept something that they feel is wrong. What I am saying is that people can agree to disagree...one can state their opinion and keep it respectful....one can point out the potential risks and dangers and why they feel cohabbing is wrong or right and not be rude about it. I just don't see how mocking....etc... is beneficial in anyones arguement. From all the discussions I've read on cohabbing it doesn't seem to have an effect on the opposing side regardless from where its coming from..

I'm not opposed to any INDIVIDUAL, just the practice. And I don't have to respect EVERY opinion that I come across-- I doubt that even you do that.

Don't get me wrong I'm not perfect..I don't doubt that there haven't been or will be opinions that I don't respect. For my arguments sake (trying to keep it narrowed down some) I truly don't believe that these cohabers have ill-will at heart. That's why I feel that there are better ways to go about it:shrugs:

Back