• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Acquisitions: 1.1 Puget Sound Blue Garters

Roy Munson

I went with Joe Cala to the New York Metro Reptile Expo in White Plains today, and I unexpectedly found a pair of snakes on my "must buy" list. So I scooped them up. Neptune is 4.1g and Skyy is 4.4g. They're actually a little bigger than my black-necked garter pair was when I first go them.

These aren't just blue-ish-- they're blue! Unsurprisingly, the camera doesn't do them justice. But some of the side/ventral shots approach capturing their true metallic-blue coolness. :cool:

Attachments

• 010508 neptune (11).JPG
    010508 neptune (11).JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 010508 skyy (23).JPG
    010508 skyy (23).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 010508 neptune (2).JPG
    010508 neptune (2).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 010508 skyy (10).JPG
    010508 skyy (10).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 010508 neptune (7).JPG
    010508 neptune (7).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 248
Wow, fantastic! Now to get that color into corns....
(Who says we can't do it? We've already made pink and purple!)

Very cool Dean! I think if I was ever going to get into garters - these would be the ones for me too.

Woooooow! How's their temperment? Will you be breeding these someday?... because there is a slight chance I can't live without one. Hehehe...

Thanks Katie, Jim, and Paulina. :cheers:
Woooooow! How's their temperment? Will you be breeding these someday?... because there is a slight chance I can't live without one. Hehehe...
Glad you like 'em, Jenn. :) They are flighty and musky, but not aggressive. The vendor put them in the same cup, and I couldn't remember which one had popped male at the show, so I had to do it again. That really got their musky juices flowing!

I will be breeding them someday (I hope), but that day is far away. If you can't wait, you could get on Scott Felzer's list for the ones he'll have in the spring. That's what I had originally planned to do. Here's a link to his site:

http://www.albinogartersnake.com/pricing.htm

Oooh, they're just incredible!! I wonder what kinds of flowers they will go well with in the spring. Can't wait to hear the first feeding report!

When will this garter phase pass Dean?

OK ok I'm being mean... the colour on those is pretty darn beautiful. I'd love to shoot them... with my macro lens of course... duh!

Oooh, they're just incredible!! I wonder what kinds of flowers they will go well with in the spring. Can't wait to hear the first feeding report!
Thanks Nanci. :D I think they'd go with just about any flower. I'll let them settle in for a couple of days, and I'm going to try minnow-scented pink halves on Monday night. :)

Tula_Montage said:
When will this garter phase pass Dean?

OK ok I'm being mean... the colour on those is pretty darn beautiful. I'd love to shoot them... with my macro lens of course... duh!
Hah! I think this just about concludes the garter phase, Elle. I really like the super-red flame garters and some other intense red varieties, but I have a lot of red snakes already, so I think I'm done with garters (for now). Macro photos of these guys with a decent camera WOULD be really cool. After I fatten them up a little, I'll try to twist Joe's arm and make him point his Nikon at 'em.

There's a good chance that my Corn Isles boas are coming this week, so maybe I'll be able to post a "new acquisitions" thread that you can appreciate a little more. ;)

Cool pick ups. I love garters but as a 'field herping' type of snake, I am not sure I would want to keep any. But then again I hadn't seen the cool metallic blue ones before! :cool:

shed'n my skin said:
Cool pick ups. I love garters but as a 'field herping' type of snake, I am not sure I would want to keep any. But then again I hadn't seen the cool metallic blue ones before! :cool:
Thanks Jen. I know what you mean. I've caught reg'lar ol' T. sirtalis sirtalis forever. I probably wouldn't be interested in keeping them, even though I love seeing them "in the field" as well. But there are some crazy garters out there in herpetoculture too. I can't believe these Pugets are "normals"! :)

Nice Dean, very nice...Garters are just fun snake's to have around :*)
Thanks Chris. Why are they fun to have around? I agree, but I can't figure it out. I've been obsessed with my black-neckeds since I got them in October. I'm well past the honeymoon stage of snake-keeping, so I dread the big feeding days (and many of the small ones too), but I always look forward to feeding and handling the garters. :shrugs:

Back