• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Acquisitions: 1.1 Puget Sound Blue Garters

Ah! I have seen these only once before.. they were only "blueish", and I still loved them!!
You have an excellent pair!
:cool: :cool:

Damn, those are cool!

If I ever get a second snake... that might actually be the one!!

(I say that now, but I like the slender boas too..)

I will be breeding them someday (I hope), but that day is far away. If you can't wait, you could get on Scott Felzer's list for the ones he'll have in the spring. That's what I had originally planned to do. Here's a link to his site:

http://www.albinogartersnake.com/pricing.htm

ooooh thanks! I'm getting hooked on garters now, forget Ball Pythons and corn snakes garter snakes are the new "in" herp! :spinner:
And I can't wait till mine get bigger...

Wow, you got them! They are, absolutely, gorgeous!

Congrats on a great pair of snakes!:cheers:

The great thing, too, is that there is no lessening, on the quality of color (and they even improve), as they age.:)

Congrats on finding a stunning pair of beautiful snakes sooner then you planned! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of them.

Jenn

Very Nice! Now why'd you have to go and add yet another type of snake to my already long wish list? I'll hafta put these near the top!

Those are some awesome garters! I just love their colors! Nice pick-ups Dean. I will be watching for your updates on these two, they are just too amazing for words :)

There's a good chance that my Corn Isles boas are coming this week, so maybe I'll be able to post a "new acquisitions" thread that you can appreciate a little more. ;)

Actuallly, secretly, deep deeep down I REALLY like those snakies :uhoh:

My OH is wanting a group of flames and melanistics and now we have the new rack I think hes going to go for it!

Oh wow! Amazing blue garters, great pictures of them. If those don't show the colours to advantage, they must be like living jewels!

Thanks a lot for the great replies! :)

Pasodama said:
Wow, you got them! They are, absolutely, gorgeous!

Congrats on a great pair of snakes! :cheers:

The great thing, too, is that there is no lessening, on the quality of color (and they even improve), as they age. :)
Thanks Deb. Yep, they just get better with age/size. I guess their coloration can change a little bit as they mature. Some stay blue-blue, and others turn aqua-blue. I love both looks. The male looks like he could go the aqua route. :)

Omg I love them! I think garters are so cute... and I didn't know they came in Blue! Now they are on my must buy list...

So kinda off topic, but what are the care requirements for these guys? I can't imagine they need a huge viv and such! They start out eating feeder guppies don't they?

Omg I love them! I think garters are so cute... and I didn't know they came in Blue! Now they are on my must buy list...

So kinda off topic, but what are the care requirements for these guys? I can't imagine they need a huge viv and such! They start out eating feeder guppies don't they?
Thanks! I think they're very easy to care for. They don't get very big, especially the males. It's hard to find good data on how big they get, but I think a big male would be 100-150g and a big female would be under 300g (very rough estimates). They're supposed to be fairly active, so I think they need a slightly larger enclosure size than you'd think for their size (from a corn-enthusiast's perspective). They don't seem very sensitive in regards to heating. A lot of care-sheets even list heating as optional. My apartment's always in the low-to-mid sixties, so my garters are kept at corn temps (low-to-mid eighties).

People start them on guppies, ruby-reds (small feeder minnows), earthworms, and lots of other stuff. If you can get them on mice, you don't need to add supplements to their diet. I started my black-necked garters on ruby-reds and then switched them to ruby-scented pinks. They made the transition enthusiastically.

I'm not much of an acclimator, and these Puget blues have been bouncing off the walls since I brought them home. They also looked skinny/hungry to me, so I couldn't resist a feeding attempt this morning. I split a small frozen pink lengthwise, and thawed it. Then I smeared the pink halves all over the ruby-ice-cube I use for scenting the black-neckeds' pinks. Within seconds of offering them the pinks they had grabbed them and chowed them down! I'm pretty darned happy about it. :D

I can just imagine the comedic possibilities of iced drinks at your place!
Hah! The ruby-cube isn't really a cube, as it wasn't made in a tray. I made it in the bottom of a plastic cup. But still, most visitors are aware of the horror that is my freezer, so they usually decline an offer of ice. :grin01:

The degenerate brother of a friend showed up here one night, loaded and on who-knows-what. I had just finished feeding snakes, so I had a few plastic cups out that I'd thawed mice in. I told him that the cups were dirty, and to get a clean one out of the cupboard if he needed one. Next thing I know, I see him drinking out of a plastic cup, and one of the dirty ones was missing. I almost threw up. I never told him though...

That's like my 'mice-cubes' from Lil's syringe feeding days! My boys still won't let me use the food-processor, I had to get a new blender for human use:shrugs:

Congratulations! They are beautiful. Who was selling them? I bet it was someone from Thamnophis.com. I don't know much about the Pugets but I think it is wonderful that they took the half pink. Life will be much easier that way!

Now please stop buying and posting garters. I thought I was cured of them....

I can't blame them, Janine... :awcrap:

Thanks Fluff! :)

Congratulations! They are beautiful. Who was selling them? I bet it was someone from Thamnophis.com. I don't know much about the Pugets but I think it is wonderful that they took the half pink. Life will be much easier that way!

Now please stop buying and posting garters. I thought I was cured of them....
Thanks Joanna. :) I forget the name of the guy who sold them to me, but he didn't produce them. They were the only garters he had on the table. I guess he had sold the parents of these to a friend, and the friend produced them. I don't know if the friend is from Thamnophis.

And yeah, I'm VERY happy that they took the half-pinks. I hated dealing with live fish.

And don't worry, I'm done for a while! ;)

Back