• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Acquisitions: 1.1 Puget Sound Blue Garters

And don't worry, I'm done for a while! ;)

hehehe. unless you run across one of these in a show.
Thamnophis sirtalis - "Crimson" or "Flame" Garter Snake
flame4.jpg

Or how about one of these?
Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus - Oregon red-spotted garter snake
concin1.jpg

Do not quote me on this but I do not think that Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis - California red-sided garter snake is an endangered species and may be available.

While hunting for pictures of Garters to taunt everyone, I stumbled on this.
Thamnophis atratus zaxanthus - Diablo Range Gartersnake
tazax04mt.jpg

Glad to hear the first feeding went well! So, can you find those out wandering in the wild somewhere? Where?

I predict these aren't your last set of garters...

Glad to hear the first feeding went well! So, can you find those out wandering in the wild somewhere? Where?

I predict these aren't your last set of garters...
Thanks. :) These are a subspecies of the common garter. They are Thamnophis sirtalis pickeringii. They occur in northwest Washington State, Vancouver Island, and southern British Columbia, but I don't think they are blue throughout their range, or at least not every specimen. So I guess if you were wandering around in those places, you might stumble across one. They can't be that rare-- they're not expensive.

Nice pickups, Dean. One of my earliest foggy childhood memories was someone catching a garter and the little bugger biting me (as it should, but still).

Thanks Bruce. :)
Dean, those guys are incredible!
I love those blue bellies.
Are they easy keepers?
Thanks Beth. I've only had them a couple of days, but I think they'll be easy to keep. My other garters are super-easy (no refusals, no regurges, no nothin'). :)

Geez, how did I miss this?!

I'm not going to click on the "cool smilie" a hundred times, but you should get my meaning!

Super sweet!!!!

I can't believe I missed this earlier! Nice additional to the collection. Love the blue colour on them. Also love their names... and I was just thinking Skye for my new one... dang.

I too, had let this thread pass me by. Glad I opened it up.

WOW. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: <------ covering for Mike

Finally, some "stripes" that I can get into!

Congrats on a GREAT pickup, Dean!

regards,
jazz

These guys were madly cruising from the time I got them home Saturday until I fed them Sunday morning. Their fish-scented half-pinks left sizeable lumps in them, and they actually chilled-out for about 24 hours. Then the lumps were gone, and they've been madly cruising since. So a few minutes ago, I was preparing their meal, and I thought to myself: 'I'll bet these little monsters will take them unscented'. Sure enough, they didn't care. They immediately scarfed down their unscented half-pinks. :dancer:

I've given my other baby garter pair 15 scented pink meals each. They're voracious feeders too. I guess I'll try unscented on them next feeding. :)

Way to go babies!!!!!!!!!!!!

They thank you for your encouragement! :)

The other pair are taking whole pinks now, so that'll be the next milestone for these guys. Splitting the frozen pinks is ok, but dealing with the nasty, jiggly, thawed halves isn't fun for a semi-squeamish guy like me, especially when every feeding looks like the site of a massacre. It'll be nice when that's over...

Back