• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is my snake gravid? - picture thread

ghosthousecorns

I'm starting this thread hoping that others will post pictures of their gravid female corn snakes as well, in order to help those who are not sure how to tell. Here's some of the things to look for:
Fatter and heavier second half of snake.
Stretched looking scales on second half of snake.
When looking from below, ventral area is flat up until the place where the eggs begin, then more round.
Sudden weight gain
Snake doesn't want to eat
Snake explores the cage and acts restless.

Here's some gravid snakes! In order of appearance Circe, Demeter, Bandida, Medusa.

Please add to this thread if you have any pictures or information :)

Attachments

• circe gravid.jpg
    circe gravid.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 897
  • DSC01502.JPG
    DSC01502.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 896
  • DSC01507.JPG
    DSC01507.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 882
  • DSC01491.JPG
    DSC01491.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 885
Great idea Jen. I know when my first girl was gravid I looked every where for pics to help me.

Heres my big girl very gravid.
P1050780.JPG

This female laid 5 days after these were taken.
P1050181.JPG

Even with a petite snake like Demeter who does not look huge, there are tell tale signs, I edited my previous picture to point them out.
Compare the scales at point A and B. The scales at point B are stretched, accordion - like.
Even looking down on the snake from above, in this picture you can still kind of see how the ventral area goes from flat to more rounded at point C.

Attachments

• DSC01502.JPG
    DSC01502.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 864
Here's a pic of my RO when she's gravid, if you can see, about 2 saddles after the "C" shaped saddle is where she starts to thicken :)

Attachments

• Forum Angel gravid 005.jpg
    Forum Angel gravid 005.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 856
This is my girl from last year, Pele.

l_33af780ed4de07cbbdedc001c48c98ae.jpg

l_e3473967369bd833bd273fe7c2232637.jpg

And my girl this year, Eva. She's normally a more slender snake, so you can really see (just after the first curve) where her "baby bump" starts to show.

l_278a543ee3b144bca950ed9c1238de58.jpg

And here she is going into her pre-lay shed.

l_e09078164cb847c3ad8eee88e67f2b1a.jpg

My gravid golddust. She was bred to a butter motley/stripe on March 28 & 30.
She is also in blue in this photo. Great thread Jen.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 361
Ok, I'll post a couple pics..since I really do need to know, "is my snake gravid?"..lol. Here she is a couple days ago (the long body shots) and then today, in her nest-bo in pre-lay shed (I hope). She was bred 3 times, beginning April 13. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• body small.jpg
    body small.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 338
  • body small 2.jpg
    body small 2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 337
  • nest small.jpg
    nest small.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 340
thought I would update this thread...because in my above pictured post my snake was indeed gravid...she laid 23 eggs 16 days after the pictures were taken (11 days post shed)

Great thread Jen! You have such a knack for creating informative and captivating threads. Thanks for sharing your wealth of information and for keeping it going!

Here's what I have to contribute. Hope it helps!

This girl never really got noticeably huge, but here are some pictures of her gravid.

Here she is right after her prelay shed on 3-14
P1016513.jpg

P1016515.jpg

Here she is on top of her laybox on the 18th, 6 days before she dropped 15 eggs. After looking at all of these pictures, I wish I had gotten a bird's eye view shot.
P1016642.jpg

If I hadn't witnessed the breeding I might not have known that she was gravid. I am a rookie at breeding and wasn't really sure what to look for. I figured that nature would take its course though, so I followed instructions on putting a lay box in with her after her pre lay shed. I'm glad I did!

*Edit: After looking at the pictures again I think I can see some subtle signs. I wish I'd taken a few pictures of her a few days before laying, but I was at my parents house and pretty much came home to eggs!

Thanks for Bumping this Jen. Helpful for us newbies. Neither of my girls are "noticeably huge" as Jess mentioned she didn't notice with hers. I thought I might have seen a bump or two when I gave our Hypo water the other day. But both already did the pre-lay shed now I'm just biting my nails and waiting with baited breath for eggs. A few fertile ones would make me happy (cross fingers).

Back