• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is my snake gravid? - picture thread

Jessica your picture is a great example of what I've heard called "squishy butt" or "jello butt"
No insult to the snake, it refers to the kind of pudgy, triangular look some females get just before laying the clutch...

Last edited:
well,
Being "New" to all of this myself...allow me to offer up pics of my Ultramel-Charcoal... She's been bred 4 times. the first on 2-26-11 the last 3-16-11.

Is my girl Gravid??? Also, She has refused feeding for the past 2 weeks. in the 3rd pic i show,what i believe to be, the beginning of the pre-lay shed.(See the belly scales are dulling?)....assuming she's gravid.

Attachments

• Gravid1.JPG
    Gravid1.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Gravid2.JPG
    Gravid2.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Pre-shed.JPG
    Pre-shed.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 208
Days before laying 18 eggs...
DSC_0810.jpg

Jessica your picture is a great example of what I've heard called "squishy butt" or "jello butt"
No insult to the snake, it refers to the kind of pudgy, triangular look some females get just before laying the clutch...

None taken! After laying she is fit as a fiddle. I'm glad my pictures turned out to be useful after all.

For me it's tell tale when the belly scales start to protrude and form a 'ridge' which can feel really 'hard' on the edges. The photo with the boy holding up the female, shows that a bit. When the ridge disappears, the 'jello but' develops and the eggs get less noticeable, if not hardly noticeable if they are quite small. Then the eggs are very soon to come.

These 2 photos of Cupcake were taken yesterday. She ovulated almost 2 weeks ago and i wish i had taken a photo of that, but these 2 will do. The first is a top down shot and you can kind of see that shes larger in her lower body, but her triangular shape is def. noticeable from up above. The second shot show the bulging belly scales, which show up as the eggs grow. On the left, just above the protruding scales, you can also see the stretching scales on her side.

These 2 photos of Cupcake were taken yesterday. She ovulated almost 2 weeks ago and i wish i had taken a photo of that, but these 2 will do. The first is a top down shot and you can kind of see that shes larger in her lower body, but her triangular shape is def. noticeable from up above. The second shot show the bulging belly scales, which show up as the eggs grow. On the left, just above the protruding scales, you can also see the stretching scales on her side.

Forgot the pics..

Attachments

• picture 010.jpg
    picture 010.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 181
  • picture 011.jpg
    picture 011.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 180
Here's a pic of my classic stripe Lore. She's only about 3 weeks post-breeding and hasn't even gone blue yet, but she's huge! Not really so easy to tell in the pics but definitely squishy on the back end! Should be interesting to see her in another week. She refused her first meal (ever) today.

Attachments

• Lore2011Gravid.jpg
    Lore2011Gravid.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 176
Here is my pic contribution. Our Hypo Chedda about a week after her pre-lay shed. You can tell on the left (curve) where her body gets pudgy lol She laid 16 beautiful eggs a week after this pic was taken :)

Attachments

• Gravid.jpg
    Gravid.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
hi i put my 2 corn snakes together on the 1st , 5th and 8th of this month all these time i definatley saw the two mating, it my second time breeding them, last year tragity struck and my female died because she got egg bound so this year i'm a bit nervous about breeding again but anyway how long should it be before i start seeing signs that she may be gravid

Hi guys/gals:
this is my first breeding of corn snakes.
this is my blood red, mated with an anery het for stripe:
Bloodred1-1.jpg

mated her last:May 3, 6 & 9. all with sperm spillage, last 2 I've witnessed the mating.
went into blue June 2.
Hopefully everything will come out as expected.

Bella and Apollo hooked up on April 12. She still has not shed. But she has many lumps in her! And she looks gravid..what do you think? Shouldn't she have laid by now? Blossom was bred on April 10 and she laid last week. These pictures were taken on May 22nd.

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

She does look gravid, some just take more time.... Her laybox seems a little small to me by the way. She needs some room to dig and rearrange the moist bedding you now :p

I think she is gravid too. I did see a hook up and spillage afterwards but the same thing happened last year and she never laid and her lay box was bigger last year. She fits inside pretty well. And we keep it moist and it smells very "earthy" in there. With the low profile of the tub, it was hard to find a container to fit in there and still have a lid on it. Has anyone ever tried not using a lid if the top of the tub is close to the top of the container? I have a longer one but the top won't fit on it. It has a whole cut out on the side. Should I try it?

I couldn't find the one with the hole in the side so I just put a longer one in there without the lid and it fit with just enough room for her to climb in and out of. And the rack they are on have dark shelving the top of the shelf provides "privacy" so to speak and keeps in the humidity as well. So we'll see if that works. It appears she may be going into blue but sometimes it is hard to tell on my amels.

Ok here is another one. Is my girl gravid? I just picked her up today. They said she is due to lay any day. You can see she is blue. Also what temps should I have her at? Is the box she is in (the inner one) an ok size for a lay box? This is my first (hopefully) gravid corn so I don't have a clue what to do, but she needed a home so I took her in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/akaangela/snakes/mis003-5.jpg[/IMG

She is going in a bigger cage, but I am thinking of just putting the inner box in the bigger cage so she can have a lay box. Thanks for all your help.

That box looks fine, if you have a lid for it you can cut a corner off that so there is a hole, Fill it with damp moss - wet the moss and wring the water out.
I don't know about due any day, they generally lay between 1 and 2 weeks after the pre-lay shed.

Back