• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I swear they're going to be the end of me!! Day 70 and still no pippies...

Blue Apple Herps

aka Matthew, PhD
I don't know about you, but this breeding season is making me absolutely nuts!! My first clutch is at day 70 and still nothing. No dimpling, no slits, just eggs.

I had one girl lay outside of her lay box when I was out of town and nearly lost the entire clutch. I had another who was HUGE but then only laid 3 eggs (and wasn't egg bound). Another who waited 25 days after her pre lay shed to lay, another who waited 24 days. They're making me nuts this year. Not a single one has done what they were supposed to!! And now my eggs aren't even hatching...

Sorry, just needed to vent... :headbang::headbang::crazy02:

I'm not ubber crazy yet about egg hatching...
But I had a clutch hatch on day 59, and now this next clutch is on day 61 and not a slit...
I'm a bit impatient with this one because I wanna know if my female Anery Stripe is het Hypo!

Awww..Well I hope it all gets better for you. :)

Thanks!! Me, too. :)

I'm not ubber crazy yet about egg hatching...
But I had a clutch hatch on day 59, and now this next clutch is on day 61 and not a slit...
I'm a bit impatient with this one because I wanna know if my female Anery Stripe is het Hypo!

It wouldn't make me so nuts, but this is my 12th year breeding, and every single year every girl laid by day 14 after her shed with the majority of them by day 10, and all the eggs hatched by day 65, usually around day 62.

We had a very bizarre spring at the height of breeding, which I'm wondering if that played a role in everything being screwy. There were about 4-5 weeks where it would be 85 for a couple of days, then in the 40s for a couple of days and it just kept going back and forth. Wonder if that screwed with them with the crazy outside temp changes? :shrugs:

Same thing here in the upper midwest with the weird "spring" weather. I believe it has an effect on the whole process. And yes, it's been an odd year for me too. Every clutch has been late; most of my clutches are over 60 days, when in the past I always hatched them out between 54 and 60. I've had snakes lay before shedding, snakes lay fertile eggs without being bred, slugs for the first time from animals I've bred for years and huge snakes laying tiny clutches and vice versa! I feel your frustration. Deep breath...Hang in there.
Good Luck. I look forward to hearing about pips.
Terri

Odd weather here in the UK as well, but strangely most of my regulars have been earlier than usual this year. Apart from one, who I swear is going to pop before she drops (if she had knees, she'd be keeping them firmly crossed).

But 70 days is beyond a joke - you must be frazzled!

Sounds like MURPHY'S LAW is in full swing...

I appreciate you keeping him busy Matthew!!! So he doesn't have time to mess with my breeding season...

Did I just hex myself or what????:toiletgra

I'm sorry they're giving you such a headache. But I'm sure all will turn out well, and you'll end up with BEAUTIFUL little hatchlings!
Best of luck!! :D

End of day 71 and nothing...

Thanks for the encouragement. My 2nd clutch of the year is scheduled to be hatching any day now as well, they're on day 60. But I probably shouldn't expect them until the end of July!!

Sounds like MURPHY'S LAW is in full swing...

I appreciate you keeping him busy Matthew!!! So he doesn't have time to mess with my breeding season...

Did I just hex myself or what????:toiletgra

Yeah, you need to karma cap that, knock on wood, etc etc!! :grin01:

I know how you feel, only mine are beardie eggs, still not sign of any thing the rate it goes the second clutch will hatch first lol, good luck with them

End of day 72...still nothing. Anyone else had a clutch wait this long? I'm starting to wonder if there might be something wrong and I have a clutch that are all DIE or something...

Sorry to hear that this clutch has been giving you such hassles. Nothing worse than waiting without seeing results. =(

Have you considered slitting one of the eggs, carefully, to see what is happening?

Can you candle a couple and see movement?

Candling does seem like a good idea to me. I'm working on my first clutch ever and notice a lot of movement when candled on day 51 (yesterday). With all my nervous and impatient energy about them, at least this gave me som peace of mind. What did you say your incubation temps were? Sorry, you probably already said. It should be any minute now. Maybe try candling and let us know? Sorry you're having such a hard time. Remember one theory, that's at least true in my life; some of the best things in life take the most, and are the hardest to acheive. I think you'll have beautiful pippies soon!!

Candling is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that earlier?!? Turns out I couldn't find a darn flash light anywhere, so I'm going to pick one up on my way home from work and see what we have. And incubation temps have been right at 82º. I do a closet incubation and we had a couple of cool days where the closet dropped to 78, but that was only one or two days, which I don't think explains how I'm now on day 73 and still nothing.

And if I still don't have anything by this end of this weekend, I'm going to slit one just to see...

Thanks for the all the encouragement!

Well I candled them and didn't see any movement, so I cut one open today and inside was what appeared to be a perfectly normal hatchling, but it wasn't moving much if at all. So I don't know about the rest of the clutch, I put the slit egg back in and I guess we'll just see what happens...

Maybe it wasn't moving much because it was scared when it saw you. As long as it's alive I would bet there alright. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

*chants* come on pippies! come on pippies!

Well I candled them and didn't see any movement, so I cut one open today and inside was what appeared to be a perfectly normal hatchling, but it wasn't moving much if at all. So I don't know about the rest of the clutch, I put the slit egg back in and I guess we'll just see what happens...

Maybe it wasn't moving much because it was scared when it saw you. As long as it's alive I would bet there alright. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

*chants* come on pippies! come on pippies!

Mathew, I'm so sorry to hear that; but I'm joining in on the chant too. Not like I really know what I'm talking about because this is my first time breeding....but....when I candle mine (only on day 55 here) I have to hold the flashlight really still for a while and stare. Only then do I see movement inside. Not all of my babies move, but most of the ones that do, only show a faint movement. One or two of them move a little faster, where it's more noticable, but the rest that I can see moving is very faint, and if I weren't so obsessed with it, it would be almost impossible to see. I'm hoping maybe (fingers crossed) that this might be what happened with yours.
I do agree that this has been a very bizarre spring with the weather in most parts and maybe that has something to do with all of it.
Here's to the pippie chant!! Good luck. And keep us updated, please.

The next question is was there still yolk? I've opened eggs from all kinds of animals and they don't seem to move much in the egg. Have you ever seen beardies when they hatch? I swear they look dead. Then, as your poking them, that little pissed off eye opens up and glares at you! lol They don't absorb their yolk until the very end of the incubation period. It's a critical stage and all kinds of things go wrong. I've done chicks and ducks and the same thing goes for them. Give them a little more time. Make sure the egg is pliant enough for them to slit as well. Moist paper towel draped over the clutch works well for this purpose. Keep thinking postive thoughts. I know I am.:)
Terri

The next question is was there still yolk? I've opened eggs from all kinds of animals and they don't seem to move much in the egg. Have you ever seen beardies when they hatch? I swear they look dead. Then, as your poking them, that little pissed off eye opens up and glares at you! lol They don't absorb their yolk until the very end of the incubation period. It's a critical stage and all kinds of things go wrong. I've done chicks and ducks and the same thing goes for them. Give them a little more time. Make sure the egg is pliant enough for them to slit as well. Moist paper towel draped over the clutch works well for this purpose. Keep thinking postive thoughts. I know I am.:)
Terri

Thanks Terri. Duh. I forgot to add that about the humidity. I was too busy rambling, I think. I'm using moist newspaper on mine and it seems to be working to make sure the humidity is more even, (especially because my eggs are on top of screen, over the moss).
Still doing the chant............

Back