• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ash has landed!

MegF. said:
P.S. As far as misting, you shouldn't have to mist unless you see them in blue or know that they're near shed. Then you can either mist daily, or put in a moist hide. Even a damp paper towel draped into a tent works well. My amel loved to lay under his paper tent.
Totally agree with this.

Living in Finland, it gets quite dry during the wintertime and when I first got my little one 4 months ago, I tried to increase the humidity a bit. Whatever I did, I couldn't get it past 30-35%. So in the end I just let it be and when I see her going blue I mist her and the viv and sometimes give her a bath.
No problems so far. :) Sweden has about the same climate as Finland (depends on where in Sweden you live of course...) but I really don't think you have to worry about humidity unless it's time for a shed.

*Lite för torrt är bättre än lite för vått* :D

I live in Arizona...pretty much the epitome of a desert climate...and very dry. I mist about once a week, and whenever I see any of my snakes in blue. I haven't had any problems with sheds, etc. I'm sure that if there is any green in Sweden, then your humidity level out there is about twice mine. Every once in a while and during blue phase should be fine. Corns do not need as much humidity as say a ball pythion or a boa. Your set up also looks very nice. You seem to have everything going ok. You may or may nor need a UTH, but since you have a 24 light, you should also be fine. Since juviniles are so reclusive, it might be a good idea to put a small one under his hide. Thats probably where he'll spend most of his time, and it would give him some belly heat when the heat from your light can't reach him. Its up to you though. He will probably do fine without it with your temps. Pine is probably ok for older corns, but as was stated earlier, like cedar, it can give off oils that are toxic to younger snakes. I'm sure the breeder you got him from has his own reasons for using that substrate, just as we all have our own reasons for what we use, but it's better to be safe than sorry until you figure out what works best for you. Personally, I switch out. If I am not having problems with humidity, then I will use aspen. Its been raining here alot actually (which is not normal) so I've kept everyone on aspen for the last 6 months without problems. When it does start to dry out, I will use cypress since it stays moist and holds humidity longer. Experiment and figure out what works best for you. Your snake will tell you if he's happy and comfortable or not so watch him also. Welcome to the forums! Your little guy is beautiful! :)

you all seem to have made the mistake of thinking the snake is on pine SHAVINGS. What the guy sold him is a pine PELLET (looks like a rabit pellet, but made of pine instead). we used to carry this as an alternative cat litter over at my store.
It may or may not have the toxic properties, but i can tell you what i smelled did not smell strongly of pine at all.

Jynx, the thing with northern Sweden (or any arctic type environment) is that there can be ultra low humidity at times (damages wooden floors...sucks the life out of your skin, etc)..but you're right ther, Arizona is probably pretty dry!

Plus Vegas, while we're writting in Swedish... -jag instämmer med sawsehel om fuktigheten.

SO be it...and I have heard of lots of people keeping their snakes on pine for years...

But pine IS pine...regardless of how it is packaged...the resin (sap) is toxic to reptiles and can cause neurological damage as well as death. Most PINE (not cedar) products are kiln dried reducing the chances...but it is still a possibility...and a good one at that...why bother risking it when COMPLETELY non-toxic alternatives are available at a competitive price and are as readily available?

True. i personally wouldnt use the compressed pine unless i had no other alternative. However i do know that at least wirh rodents studies have been done that indicate that kiln-dried pine does not have the toxic qualities. Again, i still wouldnt use it for my snakes as i prefer the look of the bark bits.

Jynx said:
just remember that what is toxic to a juvinile corn may not affect a rodent in any way

I agree...they sell cedar bedding for pet rodents...

This stuff would quickly kill a pet snake.

Really?
Which rodents?
Guinea Pigs are rodents...and thrive in the stuff.
I never knew that...not that I would use the stuff (or keep guinea pigs for that matter...LOL) anyway.

I'm getting aspen tomorrow, I can't live with this lump in my throat about the pine... also I'm getting a UTH tomorrow.
Held him for the first time today, he was quite calm and slithered through my fingers exploring. Corns are great! :D

Vegas, I love the headshot! I wish I could get pics like that. It looks like you have a very nice snake and a very nice set-up.

Isn't it great when you finally get to "play" with them? I count down the hours after Monty eats til I can get him out again - I'm going to have to get another and stagger the feeding schedules so I can always have 1 to play with! (in the mean time my dog is thinking "you could play with me!!!" LOL).

Congrats and good luck!

Haha yeah, it's not long after those 48 hours you pick him up, count the seconds on the watch. :)
So, today the UTH and the aspen finally arrived, going to install both after I've gotten some food down the tubby.
peep_827: I got another headshot last night, got a bit blurry, didn't have time to perfect the settings on my digicam but here you go.

4c50075e.jpg

Alias47 said:
Really?
Which rodents?
Guinea Pigs are rodents...and thrive in the stuff.
I never knew that...not that I would use the stuff (or keep guinea pigs for that matter...LOL) anyway.

Larger animals are not effected as badly as for example mice/rats/gerbils/Etc.
Aside from that, there is debate as to weather a GP is a true rodent or closer in relation to the rabbit (also not a rodent)

I've raised (and continue to do so) feeder mice on cedar shavings for 10 years. I wouldn't put my snakes on it, but dangerous to mice? Tell that to the thousands that have been through my colony over a decade.

Not to cause strife, but this goes entirely against firsthand experience.

Oh, and congrats, Vegas. You have done your homework, bought a good enclosure, and have set yourself up for success. And don't fret the humidity being too low.

Dand said:
It'd probably be easier to kick heroin than give up Corn snakes. :cool:

This was a statement given to me by Dand on my very first post here. I was only going to have one...2 months later I have two(poss. three) additional snakes arriving next week.

So, the question is...when are you getting your next one?
:grin01:

Daniel

DdotSpot said:
I was only going to have one...2 months later I have two(poss. three) additional snakes arriving next week.

So, the question is...when are you getting your next one?
:grin01:

Daniel

Tell me about it!!!! I started with 'just two' now it's 8 plus 2 on a breeding loan and soon will include a number of hatchlings with a bit of luck....then there's all those reptile shows coming up in the summer and it would be such a shame to come home empty handed!!!!

Ddotspot: Haha that is certainly an honest statement yes. :D
Well problem for me is I live kindof tight, small 1 room apartment, it's about 40 squaremeters. I had to get rid of one of my dvdshelfs to get space for the viv. (I'm a movieaddict too so dvdmovies take up quite some space.) :)
He drinks alot of water, I previously read that some ppl never seen their snakes drink, I've had mine for a week now and seen him drink like 3 times already. Maybe he's just a raging alcoholic. :)
I'm going to feed him again tomorrow, I fed him last time tueday. But problem is I can't seem to spot any poo anywhere. I might have just missed it when I changed the substrate last night but I dunno. Will it be any problem to feed him again tomorrow if he hasn't done number 2?

EDIT: I made some pictures to show how tight my place really is. One more furniture just isn't happening without eliminating another. :D

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

So that was a guided wall-to-wall tour of the Jimmy residence, there's just a kitchen and a toilet to add and that's it. :)

Last edited:
Back