• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Coyote Problem, California vs Arizona

wade

Save The Humans
Coyote problem, two different scenarios:

California

The Governor is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks dog.

#1. Governor starts to intervene, reflects upon the movie 'Bambi' and then realizes he should stop; the coyote is only doing what is natural.

#2. He calls animal control. Animal control captures coyote and spends $200 testing it for diseases and $500 upon relocating it.

#3. He calls veterinarian. Vet collects dead dog and spends $200 testing it for diseases.

#4. Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote and on getting bite wound bandaged.

#5. Running trail gets shut down for 6 months while wildlife services conduct a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is clear of dangerous animals.

#6. Governor spends $50,000 of state funds implementing a "coyote awareness" program for residents of the area.

#7. State legislature spends $2 million investigating how to better handle rabies and how to possibly eradicate the disease.

#8. Governor's security agent is fired for not stopping the attack and for letting the Governor intervene.

#9. Cost: $75,000 to train new security agent.

#10. PETA protests the coyote relocation and files suit against the state.

Arizona

The Governor is jogging with her dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks dog.

#1 The Governor shoots coyote and keeps jogging. Governor has spent $0.50 on a .45 ACP hollow point cartridge. Buzzards eat dead coyote.

Any wonder why California is broke????

As a vet tech, and living in california:

Most owners of any dog would step in to save their pet. If a coyote attacks a dog that is with a human, something is wrong with that coyote. Very likely rabies. And where you have one rabid coyote, there's concern that there will be more as even play-fighting can leave puncture wounds, something any dog owner knows. Thus, an awareness program for the local populace, and maybe a cull of the local coyote population would be vital to prevent an outbreak of rabies in the human population. Because all it would take is one child getting rabies and the public outcry and lawsuits would cost a ton more.

I am willing to rewrite the Arizona one for you:

The Governor is jogging with her dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks the dog.

#1 The Governor keeps jogging, and lets the dog get mauled. She gets a new dog off Craigslist for free the next day.

As a vet tech, and living in california:

Most owners of any dog would step in to save their pet. If a coyote attacks a dog that is with a human, something is wrong with that coyote. Very likely rabies. And where you have one rabid coyote, there's concern that there will be more as even play-fighting can leave puncture wounds, something any dog owner knows. Thus, an awareness program for the local populace, and maybe a cull of the local coyote population would be vital to prevent an outbreak of rabies in the human population. Because all it would take is one child getting rabies and the public outcry and lawsuits would cost a ton more.

And there you have it from the mouth of a Californian. I rest my case.

*shakes head* I rest my case as well. People who try to simplify things like this lack brains, a basic sense of humanity, and no knowledge of just how litigious ALL of American society now is.

Your analogy was wrong, poorly thought out, and frankly, stupid. The entire initial premise was wrong: That the California person would watch their dog get eaten while the Arizona one would pull out a gun and shoot the coyote. And leave the corpse without testing.

In ANY state that coyote would be tested for rabies if it was reported. In ANY state there would be news coverage and letters sent to the local populace. In ANY state there would be a check on the local coyote population.

My goodness Shari, the world's a very serious place for you isn't it? Outside the state of CA many people engage in what we call frivolity. It is apparently a foreign activity for you. An explanation at this stage would probably be moot. I think it was supposed to be a joke.

Oddly enough, politics works like that LOL

LOL yep! I think that's the point of the joke!
Also, in many cases over analyzing something works LESS than over simplifying something. You start to see things that don't exist hence making everyone else pay for all of your monsters in the closet. The farther West you get, the worse it gets (I see it all the time around here too).

Good joke Wade.

I read it as a vet tech, which is what I am. Thus this "joke" doesn't work for me at all. Had a similar conversation just the other day with a firefighter. He doesn't watch hospital dramas because the 'facts', the practices, everything like that is so stupid and wrong in the show. Same thing with my family that's been in the army.

So I don't see a joke. I see a pile of stupid ignorance.

Okay, so it isn't factual, and it wasn't meant to be. Please don't turn this into a rule-breaking, infraction-garnering thread when it was just meant to be funny, and apparently hit a sore spot.

*shakes head* I rest my case as well. People who try to simplify things like this lack brains, a basic sense of humanity, and no knowledge of just how litigious ALL of American society now is.

Your analogy was wrong, poorly thought out, and frankly, stupid. The entire initial premise was wrong: That the California person would watch their dog get eaten while the Arizona one would pull out a gun and shoot the coyote. And leave the corpse without testing.

In ANY state that coyote would be tested for rabies if it was reported. In ANY state there would be news coverage and letters sent to the local populace. In ANY state there would be a check on the local coyote population.

It was a joke Megan, but being born/raised in Cali myself..
our politicians would do just like it says and spend millions
on a environmental report also.
California is killing itself by electing these morons and allowing
the stupid lawsuits.
Maybe they should create a ballot measure to vote on,& pass then take
it to court to overturn it due ACLU stupidity.

Problem is that the only people offering themselves for election are all stupid, from every party, in every state. Some more so than others.

I really hope that the republicans are appalled by Maine's new GOP stance, including preventing the One World Gov't that is supposed to precede the Rapture. I mean... honestly? Really? They're going to attempt to govern a state based on a religious hallucination? Now THERE'S a real joke.

I don't even want to imagine the democratic mirror extreme of that. -_-

Hey, this was a JOKE. I will spell it. J O K E. FUNNY, HA HA.

I don't think people in glass houses should throw stones nor should Californians criticize Republican until they can show that the left wing can run an state.

And you find nothing funny about declaring that one of the major goals of the republican party is that it must prevent at all costs the One World Gov't that precedes the apocalypse? Where'd your sense of humor go, Wade? C'mon man, that's freakin' hilarious.

Well there it the Republicans and then there is what you said. I'm not sure one is the same as the other.

Shiari This was a simple joke that I found funny. I have told it to many non Californians. They have all enjoyed it regardless of their profession. I have told it to two veterinarians and one State Senator. They all found it amusing. Most have said, Yeah that is just the way those Calif people are. I'm sorry you find no humor in my humor. Your lack of humor is becoming funnier than the joke. In any case, I have no intention in spending the evening debating politics with you.

Back