• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Example of What's Wrong with America

I'm not saying that they do, and I certainly respect their job. I'm saying that it's a system that also faces corruption, that is also supported by tax dollars. There are great police officers, and ones that have assumed the role and play their positive part, and some that are in it for their own personal gain. But it is never a system that is almost never questioned (and changed even less).
*But it's a system that is almost never questioned

But law enforcement is something that is constitutionally mandated, whereas welfare is not.
Funny isn't it how you are not allowed to feed the bears in national parks so they don't become dependant on humans, but the government fosters dependency in its own people?

Two things.

1) People aren't bears.

2) We don't feed the animals so wild animals don't become accustomed to humans and see us as a source of food.

But don't let that get in the way of ridiculous analogies.

But law enforcement is something that is constitutionally mandated, whereas welfare is not.
Funny isn't it how you are not allowed to feed the bears in national parks so they don't become dependant on humans, but the government fosters dependency in its own people?
Excellent analogy. The biggest difference is that bears don't vote! If they did the gov would be preparing daily buffets for Yogi and BooBoo.

Wait, you guys are serious? You seriously think the poor are the equivalent to wild and dangerous animals? And you seriously think that if someone feeds a bear, that it will let itself starve because it thinks it should just be hand fed all the time?

You know, it's a total fabrication, a lie in other words, that we're not supposed to feed wild animals because they'll become dependent on humans. Go look it up if you don't believe me. In fact, I encourage you to, because it's clear you haven't. That analogy was created by a retarded political cartoonist to justify classism and withholding services from the poor. It's vile and sick, and I'm pretty offended that you guys think that this sort of bull is funny.

Oh, yeah, it's so goddamn funny that there is a sustained campaign to make people believe that poor people are only poor because they are failures and deserve derision and whatever consequences of being poor and homeless and hungry and marginalized and abandoned that they get. Goddamn hilarious.

And for the record I was giggle because it appeared to me they were trying to get your goat.

Not sure if that is why they posted but that is how it appeared to me. You just assumed I was laughing at the analogy.

Wait, you guys are serious? You seriously think the poor are the equivalent to wild and dangerous animals? And you seriously think that if someone feeds a bear, that it will let itself starve because it thinks it should just be hand fed all the time?

You know, it's a total fabrication, a lie in other words, that we're not supposed to feed wild animals because they'll become dependent on humans. Go look it up if you don't believe me. In fact, I encourage you to, because it's clear you haven't. That analogy was created by a retarded political cartoonist to justify classism and withholding services from the poor. It's vile and sick, and I'm pretty offended that you guys think that this sort of bull is funny.
Are you serious? Do I need to define the word analogy for you? I seriously think you were correct. If you feed a bear he will see you as an easy source of food. Remember while on your rant that you are one of the folks that chose to alter the thread from being about abusers to being about any person on assistance.

Oh, yeah, it's so goddamn funny that there is a sustained campaign to make people believe that poor people are only poor because they are failures and deserve derision and whatever consequences of being poor and homeless and hungry and marginalized and abandoned that they get. Goddamn hilarious.
Who said the poor deserve derision. Again this thread was started about abusers and many have added examples of abuse. You chose to tie the abuse examples to those actually in need.

Perhaps tsst was, and succeeded, but Starsevol wasn't replying to me, just participating in spreading misinformation. Which is something I really do have a problem with. Researching the veracity of something is so easy.

As far as 'cussing' goes, this forum doesn't allow me to say what I really think sometimes. I've always assumed that the truly prohibited language was thus filtered out and stuff like 'goddamn' was acceptable since it was not censored.

Very well put Tsst.

It seems to me that some change the topics just for the sake of argument. No one was denying that there are those that actually need help and do not abuse the system.

tsst, the title of this thread is "Example of what's wrong with America". That suggests to me that the OP believes if the people who abused welfare would stop abusing it, America would not have anything wrong with it. If this is not so, perhaps the OP should choose their language better in order to be less ambiguous. However, considering the vitriol that many people on this board throw at people who support many of these programs I have no doubt in my mind that Camby thinks that the poor are dragging America down and they just need to pull up their bootstraps.

PS. An analogy is comparing two like things. I take umbrage at your suggestion that poor people are 'like' wild animals.

PPS. What on earth do you mean by "You chose to tie the abuse examples to those actually in need."? This very thread is suggesting restricting welfare. Drug tests for all failures! You deserve our suspicion by not succeeding at a game that's rigged against you! So if you mean to say that I'm out of line for arguing against those restrictions because they will deny help to those who need it, well, you're not gonna get an apology out of me because I'm not out of line.

It is obvious you are worked up and seem to be upset. I should of worded it more like
"It seems that some in the political threads like to turn the topic around for the sake of argument". Now if you believe you fit in that statement then so be it, if you don't feel you fit in that statement then it wasn't referring to you!

I didn't say Nova_C likes to change the topics for the sake of argument, did I?

That's why I was asking. You certainly suggested it since you were replying to tsst, who said I was the one who switched from the topic of the thread. So I'd like clarification: Do you, or do you not think that I chose to take this thread off topic?

I know have taken other threads off topic. On this one, it was already off topic thanks to some of the other members of this forum. So on this thread, no!

Okay, I just wanted to be sure because I dragged you into that last outburst of mine. The following is just for tsst:

I was addressing the suggestion for mandatory drug testing when YOU asked me what my solution was. Should I have ignored you?

Back