• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

help my corn is stuck in a log!!

uchi

my corn is stuck inside of a log, he for some reason shoved himself through an opening in a log i have and is stuck at both ends. ive been chiseling away at the wood for the last hour and still cant get him out. he seems pretty stuck on both ends are hes damaged his scales from the wood. ive thought about spraying water on him but wasnt sure if the wood would swell. it looks like a hard piece of driftwood hes stuck in. ive also contemplated pulling him head first but i dont want to hurt him. i tried to give him a little tug here and there but he seems pretty wedged in there. im not sure how to go about this and id rather not have him suffer in the wood for too long. please help

If he got in, he can most likely get out. Trying to pull him out will injure him. I guess it wouldn't hurt to enlarge the opening a little, without messing with the snake. Has he been inside the log before?

he used to go in there when he was a baby all the time. ive been chopping away at the log for an hour and a half and its a hard piece of wood. doesnt have many gaps for me to pry into. the side where his head is looks to be the worst part and i dont wanna start chopping away at it with his head so close. hes been very calm during this which is surprising considering how pissed off he got last week when i moved him into my new place. but ive tried pulling him a little to get him out and he doesnt seem to wanna move. i worked till noon today and i got home around 130 and he was already in there, that was 7 hours ago.

I can’t imagine a snake getting into a place that he can’t get out of. I would say to put snake and log back in his cage and leave him completely alone. Completely. Check on him in the morning.

I agree with Nanci and Wade, just leave him alone. If he wants out and he got in, he'll come out. You'd be surprised at some of the small spaces snakes can get into. But if you keep messing with him and pulling on him you could wind up with a dead snake.

Poor guy, my sympathies and best wishes. Hopefully he gets himself out of this mess himself, The worst thing you can do is panic... I lost my first snake that way :(

thanks for all the help guys. i just gave him little tugs didnt pull hard, i didnt want to hurt him. ive managed to saw a good chunk of the log off of him and we left him alone for about half an hour. hes still in there. right now im running out of places to saw because i dont wanna run the blade acros shim. using a metal blade as it has small teeth and its more precise. ill follow your advice and leave him for the night. ill make sure he has his water dish and hiding spot near by. im a little upset about this. ive had this guy for a long time and ive become quite attached to him and the stupid things i see him do. what really surprises me is how calm hes bgin through all of this. i figured by now i would have been bitten atleast a half dozen times. he hasnt become agressive to me at all and when i was preying the log apart you could see him trying to pull out as i was releaving the tension a little. but hes been really good through the whole process. hopefuly by morning i have a happy and free corn. if not then ill be back at it breaking this wood off piece by piece. i just hope it doesnt stress him enough.

thanks again for the advice

That snake can survive several weeks without food. It isn't going to starve to death in the log. Probably the more you mess with it, the more determined it's going to be about not coming out. I understand from first hand experience how frustrating this can be, but at least you know where he is and aren't frantic that he has escaped.

thanks nanci. i hope you guys are right. i was watching him slither back and forth with no success earlier today so hopefully he thins up and gets out. maybe ill let him diet for a couple weeks lol

just an update, hes still in there, doesnt seem like hes made much of an effort to get out. ive got one question i should have asked last night. where in the tank should i leave him? hes by the lamp now and its a little over 80 degrees where he is. i ddint want him getting cold so i figured the warmer side is better for him.

hes in a warm spot now. bnut im watching him squirm back and forth and hes not coming out. i think later on im gonna hack away at the log some more. i really dont think hes in there for fun.

You may be right, it's been a while.
If you have to cut the log don't cut it all of the way through. Cut it partway, or most of the way through and try to break it open.

thats what i was doing last night, i chipped away at a good part of it the middle is pretty thick though. i just pulled him away from the light a little and put some more things for him to grab onto. right now my second biggest concern is the condition of his skin. its started to get pretty worn up like sandpaper has been run over it. he shed 2 weeks ago so its still a fresh layer. man this is stressful.

If you are going to try to cut again, try to split the log with the grain of the wood. If you could make a small notch in the center of the log with a razor blade, then you could put a screwdriver in the notch and twist it causing the log to split. You might need 3 or 4 sites in a line down the length of the log. That way you would run the risk of cutting into the snake.

thats what i was doing last night, i chipped away at a good part of it the middle is pretty thick though. i just pulled him away from the light a little and put some more things for him to grab onto. right now my second biggest concern is the condition of his skin. its started to get pretty worn up like sandpaper has been run over it. he shed 2 weeks ago so its still a fresh layer. man this is stressful.

Imagine how stressful it's been on the snake the past few days! If you really must get him out before he wants to come out, force him out naturally. Put the log on a cold pack on the cold side and if he's not stuck, he'll come out. Just make sure not to put the cold pack directly on the snake.

hes definatly not in there because he wants to be. ive been watching him struggle around trying to slither and not get out of the log. plus i think with the activity hats been going on with me and the log by now he would have left just to get away from it. but i really think hes stuck in there. thanks for all the info again guys and girls i really do appreciate it. looks like im going back to cutting again. i just hope the log doesnt get smaller towards the middle.

also what can i do to care for his skin? im sure on his next shed its all gonna come off but is there something i can put on it in the mean time to help it heal?

Back