• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Miami surprise!

Snakehead

Bite Me! It's ok
I was anxiously awaiting my clutch of Miami corns to hatch and was excited last night when one started pipping. But I got even more excited when I saw Corn number two sticking it's head out and it was an albino! I got both of these from the same breeder and I'm sure he would have mentioned if they were het or even possible hets for anything, since it would be a great selling point. My question is...are these considered Candy Canes or just albino Miami Corns or what? I hope i get mor ethan just one but even one is a nice surprise.

P1030755.jpg

P1030754.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong,but Miami is a selective bred morph. I don't think there is a thing called albino miami. I know there is the Crimson(hypo miami) I think.

Genetically speaking it's an amel, so it's probably less confusing to label it as one of the line-bred amel morphs, regardless of its parents.

Going by its looks, it's a Reverse Okeetee (or maybe a candy cane depending on whether it fills in with yellow as it gets older).

It's definitely a unique situation! Very cool surprise :)

I have found from experience and talking to other miami breeders that normally if an amel pops up in a miami clutch they normally color up more like a candy cane than a reverse okeetee.

How exciting!! Katie- weren't those candy canes you had that were to die for from a Miami clutch??

What about the Miami locales? They could, in fact have albino babies, right? Correct me if i'm wrong, but Miami's can be het Amel, but snakes cannot be het Miami...correct?

In another thread, I asked about snakes what snakes would be called, if they were not truely from Miami locale, but had the Miami look.
I'm trying to learn as much as possible about Miami's because they're one of the ones I want work with.

I could flood Carol with questions, but she's already got her plate full, I don't want to add to it.

What about the Miami locales? They could, in fact have albino babies, right? Correct me if i'm wrong, but Miami's can be het Amel, but snakes cannot be het Miami...correct?

In another thread, I asked about snakes what snakes would be called, if they were not truely from Miami locale, but had the Miami look.
I'm trying to learn as much as possible about Miami's because they're one of the ones I want work with.

I could flood Carol with questions, but she's already got her plate full, I don't want to add to it.
Right, Miami is a line-bred trait unlike Amel, which is a gene. As far as I know anything with the "Miami" look is dubbed a Miami corn, but I'm sure there are some purists out there just like with the Okeetee corns who will insist differently.:uhoh:

Miami is just a line bred normal. Some people differentiate a little bit with Miami and Miami phase. Some consider a true "miami" to be like what Carol produces. Those nice silver/gray backgrounds and burgundy saddles.
Then there are some like this girl - who is more of a "miami phase". She isn't quite a generic classic, but not as nice as a true "top shelf" miami.

And yes, Miami's can be het Amel as Amel is a gene that can be passed down. Usually with the nice clean miami's - any amel offspring retain the clean borders as well making them look more like "candy canes" which is a line bred amel.

Attachments

• Clementine 08JUL2.jpg
    Clementine 08JUL2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 92
Right, Miami is a line-bred trait unlike Amel, which is a gene. As far as I know anything with the "Miami" look is dubbed a Miami corn, but I'm sure there are some purists out there just like with the Okeetee corns who will insist differently.:uhoh:

Thank you Lexie :)
I don't want to step on toes, as I have seen comments about Lookatees.
I now have Miami's (one from an unknown breeder, so I do not know what she truely is, but she looks Miami). I also have Alabama's, a WC & 2 from the WC female. I have a male that was listed as a high contrast Miami, but after I got the Alabama's, I'm pretty sure he's more an Alabama than a Miami (I could be wrong, I'm just going by comparing him to my others).

I'd like to see if I can blend the two, as I love the think borders & metallic look of my Alabama's & I love the Miami's.

Miami-phase. As opposed to locality Miami.
Awesome, this is what I was looking for. I had heard Miami Phase before, but didn't know that was for the Miami look, & not a true line bred Miami.

Miami is just a line bred normal. Some people differentiate a little bit with Miami and Miami phase. Some consider a true "miami" to be like what Carol produces. Those nice silver/gray backgrounds and burgundy saddles.
Then there are some like this girl - who is more of a "miami phase". She isn't quite a generic classic, but not as nice as a true "top shelf" miami.

And yes, Miami's can be het Amel as Amel is a gene that can be passed down. Usually with the nice clean miami's - any amel offspring retain the clean borders as well making them look more like "candy canes" which is a line bred amel.

Thank you for responding, this helps me understand it more.
Beautiful pictrure, BTW...yours?

Really nice borders on this one! If it keeps the clean white background it has the potential to, it will be killer! Kind of what I'm looking for...a candy cane RO (o:

Confusing to me

Genetically speaking it's an amel, so it's probably less confusing to label it as one of the line-bred amel morphs, regardless of its parents.

Going by its looks, it's a Reverse Okeetee (or maybe a candy cane depending on whether it fills in with yellow as it gets older).

It's definitely a unique situation! Very cool surprise :)

How can it possibly be a Reverse Okeetee when it has no Okeetee in it? Some are saying it may be a Candy Cane but i'm not sure that's correct either?

Thanks

I have found from experience and talking to other miami breeders that normally if an amel pops up in a miami clutch they normally color up more like a candy cane than a reverse okeetee.

Thanks for that input. I think it may look somewhat like a Candy Cane but who knows?

Maybe I can help

Though I'm a bit confused with these Amel Miami Corns and what to call them exactly, I can shed a little light on the Miami Corns in general. I lived in Miami for many years and did my share of collecting there. Not all Corns from the miami area look like what we tend to think of as miami corns. The corns down there have a tendency to have greyish background color with red saddles. I can tell you from experience many of them are butt ugly, lol. But some are quite attractive. What has been done over time is that many of the nicer looking ones have been line bred to clean up the dirty background and bring out the red saddles and even the black borders. I have seen similar animals caught in Alabama but again not as crisp and clean as the selectively line bred Miami. I would not be surprised if many lines of miami even have some blood from animals not from florida. So we have a certain look that is called Miami. But purists will insist that their animals come exclusively from Miami stock. I dodn't even know the true lineage of the ones I have? I didn't care, I just wanted the prettiest Miami "Type", that I could find at a descent price. The same thing is going on with the Okeetees. Hope that helps a bit?

Back