• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Microwave to euthanize mice?

PatrickBateman

Do you like Huey Lewis?
I Don't really have the desire to build a c02 gas chamber, and snapping mice spines seems kind of gross. Also freezing mice to death in the freezer seems like a pretty slow and cruel way to go.

What are your guys thoughts about about using the microwave to euthanize mice? I tried it once the other day by placing the mouse in a cup and microwaving it for about 5 seconds. It died really quick and I think that means it is pretty humane, but I still feel like a sicko young Jeffrey Dahmer.

In a few more weeks I am going to have around a dozen and a half hoppers that will be euthanized and then frozen. Does the microwave seem like a viable method for getting the job done? Also, I assume it doesn't alter the meat so it is perfectly fine to feed to snakes.

Since microwave ovens, essentially, do nothing more then boil water, what you did was boil the mouse's brain (which has a lot of 'free' water in it compared to other parts). To me, it seems that this is far less humane than severing the spinal cord, which ceases the transmission of pain impusles. The CO2 chamber, I believe, is more humane still. Nuking it might be quick, but I think it would a very painful few seconds.

That is NOT a humane way to euthanize mice. In fact, that may be one of the most inhumane methods ever.

Nanci

I agree with Nanci. That's a disgusting way to euthanize a mouse.

Is this a troll? I hope so. If not, please don't microwave any more mice. Get a CO2 setup, do cervical dislocation, heck whack them hard against a wall. Any of those methods would be more humane.

Wheres the bridge? I am not going to be the Billy Goat..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

There are specially designed microwaves that are acceptable by the AVMA as humane for mice/rats/small rodents. Regular consumer or kitchen microwaves are not the same, however, and are considered to be unaccetpable and inhumane.

You're also essentially cooking the meat. So regardless of whether or not it is humane(which it isn't)...it isn't good for your snakes. You want them to eat raw meat, not partially cooked...

As has been said this is not a good way to euthanize why not put out the 2 hours effort and maybe $50 to build a co2 chamber.

Well, sort of...

There are specially designed microwaves that are acceptable by the AVMA as humane for mice/rats/small rodents. Regular consumer or kitchen microwaves are not the same, however, and are considered to be unaccetpable and inhumane.

Microwave irradiation is primarily used to fix brain metabolites while maintaining the anatomic structure of the brain. Its use is limited to rats and mice used in neurobiological research. Death occurs in less than one second. The microwave instrument used is specifically designed for euthanizing small rodents and directs the microwave energy directly toward the animal's head (kitchen-model microwave ovens are unacceptable for this use).

http://tinyurl.com/yw4zkq

Nanci

Holy crap did you see the size of some of those woods. "metabolites"??

Pat, from what you said in your post it sounds like you are not going to be killing a large number of mice. There can't be anything simpler than a CO2 chamber that would handle 20 mice at a time. I think you just need to put a little more thought into this.

Actually it's interesting (as well as horrifying) that this is brought up. This may seem off topic, but it goes along with Nanci's "that would be one of the most inhumane ways ever".

Microwaves are used in human warfare, given the label of "Non lethal crowd control". This is just one of the many things that the US government would like to leave us ignorant about.

Microwaves move around particles, particularly water. When used against humans the water underneath you skin boils. Eyes pop out, people stop and collapse in pain. The website I have linked refers to "cooking" people's organs. As a "protest crowd control" device Microwaves are not used in large enough quantities to kill someone, it's mostly a toucher device.

Here's a link for for more information
http://www.wanttoknow.info/050708nonlethalweapons

So, a bit more on topic now..
Just because the mouse dies "right away" doesn't mean it isn't in extreme pain during the time before it does. Also, we have no idea how animals perceive time. On a basic level I think animals only know the "here and now". Keep in mind that pinkies may die right away, but what about a full grown mouse? I think there are some pretty basic guides on this site about building a C02 chamber.

I'm pretty disgusted right now.

Edit: Nanci, I just followed your link, and had to kind of smile in a grimacing kind of way that one of the Requirements on Euthanasia was that it is "irreversible". Got me thinking about Pet Cemetery! :eek:

but I still feel like a sicko young Jeffrey Dahmer.

Actually your age is listed as 37 and Jeff Dahmer was a young killer(started when he was 18) and died when he was 34, you should feel like a sicko old Jeffery Dahmer. :rofl:

I would say just build the co2 death chamber, no risk of tainting the food, plus it's a neat project. But I love building things so I may be biased.

No this isn't a "troll" I am being serious

As has been said this is not a good way to euthanize why not put out the 2 hours effort and maybe $50 to build a co2 chamber.

This is exactly the reason why I dont want to make a Co2 gas chamber. spending 50$ something to kill mice that were less than 10$ seems ridiculous to me. I appreciate everyones replies and since you have all pretty much agreed that getting nuked is a brutal way to die, I guess I will have to resort to holding their tails and whacking them a few times until they die which is apparently much more humane. I only have a 1.4 mouse colony with 19 fuzzies, so I don't think I need a mass killing device.

:eek:

Isn't cervical dislocation supposed to be a good method?

Jay (of PJC) has a sticky down in his forum about how to build a CO2 chamber, does it really cost that much?

Nanci

Sue Cornish Wrote This

The AVMA Panel on Euthanasia states that stunning by a blow to the head is used primarily in small laboratory with thin craniums (I guess neonate/pinkies would fall into this group) as long as it's a single sharp blow delivered to the central skull bones delivered with enough force to produce immediate depression of the central nervous system. When done properly, consciousness is lost rapidly.

They also state that cervical dislocation is also acceptable as long as the person doing it is proficient and propertly trained. For mice it entails placing the thumb and index finger on either side of the neck at the base of the skull, the other hand on the body and the hands are pulled apart and twisted in opposite direction. Electrical activity in the brain persists for 13 seconds following cervical dislocation.

Hope all this helps. All of this info comes from the AVMA.

Might it be easier and cheaper in the long run to just get frozen mice online and safe yourself the hassle of killing? I don't like putting mice down and it still breaks my heart, but I do what I need to. What I use for a Co2 chamber is this:

20 gal tank
2 towels
1 small critter keeper
dry ice

I put one towel down on the bottom of the tank for comfort. Add mice. Put the dry ice into the critter keeper. Add water. Put the critter keeper into the tank with the mice. Cover with the other towel. They are gone in minutes.

Personally I find a sharp 'flick' or 2 works fine for up to fuzzies. After that I use cervical dislocation. I'm only ever culling 10 or so at a time, and to be honest I'd be worried about making a co2 chamber with my level of DIY skills

I tried to buy dry ice for some reason, though- like I thought I needed it to bring back frozen mice from a show or something, and it's virtually impossible in my city.

Nanci

Our C02 chamber is simply a plastic tub with two holes in the lid, a short length of aquarium air tubing and CO2 trigger thing & cartridges purchased from Walmart. We buy a pack of 20 of the CO2 cartridges for I think $10 at Walmart...I don't know how much the trigger thing was, my husband got it.

The CO2 equipment we use is actually for paint ball guns.

Back