• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Microwave to euthanize mice?

Couldn't you use one of those Seltzer Syphons (those things you use to make home made seltzer) and run the tube from the head portion into a semi air tight container (I'm thinking cheap gladware with a few holes in the top) containing the mice? CO2 is heavier than air, right? So a few blasts should displace all the breathable air in the container, and with outflow holes the overpressure wouldn't be that great (I'd think). I should just go look at the instructions on Jay's forum...

How about using some sort of mallet or hammer and whacking the head, like how they club seals?
Yeah, but for a pinky the hammer would be very small!

I was actually serious, Patrick... I just looked... a used seltzer syphon (never knew that's what they were called) is up on e-bay for about $9. Can probably find them at a yard sale for next to nothing. Poke some holes in an old tupperware and go to wal*mat and buy some CO2 cartridges and you're done. It gets the job done and it's about as humane as you can get.

I might do exactly that for a slightly different application. I have a problem with wild mice getting into my basement. I'm using sticky traps to catch them, but don't want them to die slowly in that circumstance. Right now I'm using a chisle with a dull point. I place it at the base of the scull and push down sharply. I feel and hear a pop and it's over. I've tried no-kill traps and the kind I've found at local hardware store seem to be very escapable. I also tried different types of snap traps and find them triggered, but without a mouse half the time. At least with the stickies, if they get stuck, they stay stuck.

I have to ask again, why not go to frozen? All the money going out in bedding and food would be fairly evened out by the cost of frozen mice, plus you wouldn't have the quandary about euthanasia.

Nanci - Ask your local hospital lab if they have any dry ice. We use it for shipping.

What's wrong with cervical dislocation? I found it to be very easy and quick, back when I'd ocassionally be given surplus live mice. Probably easier than whacking them in the head would have been!
This is what I did: I restrained the mouse by the tail on a table surface (not dangling) and used a pen or pencil. I lightly placed the pen between the skull and the shoulders while holding by the tail, then in one motion pressed down with the pen while pulling hard on the tail. This would quickly snap the spine, and, if Patrick's worried about being bitten, kept my fingers away from their teeth.

Now I buy all frozen.

If I had to kill my own food I'd be stuck eating fish and bird eggs(if I was sure the eggs were laid that day!)...Might be chasing down cows for milk.

Nanci

No this isn't a "troll" I am being serious

This is exactly the reason why I dont want to make a Co2 gas chamber. spending 50$ something to kill mice that were less than 10$ seems ridiculous to me. I appreciate everyones replies and since you have all pretty much agreed that getting nuked is a brutal way to die, I guess I will have to resort to holding their tails and whacking them a few times until they die which is apparently much more humane. I only have a 1.4 mouse colony with 19 fuzzies, so I don't think I need a mass killing device.

:eek:

You don`t need to "whack them a few times until they die" One sharp smack to the back of the head is instantanious if done properly. Much better than boiling their brains IMO.

Did nobody else notice that his claim he does not want to feel like Dahmer is a bit paradoxal to his nickname?! Nobody read American Psycho? Duh... this post has a smell to it...

If you breed your own feeders then you are responsible for the humane euthanization of those feeders. If you are too cheap to do it properly, then you shouldn't be breeding them. Buy frozen in bulk.

Sure there is an initial cost for the CO2 setup, but remember this is for the LIFETIME of your snake. It will pay for itself in time.

As for those disposable co2 cartridges, over time they will end up being more expensive than a refillable co2 tank. I pay $1 per refill every 6 months (2 tanks, one of them gets free refills at the store where I bought it) And thats ALL I will ever have to spend on CO2.

(If any one is interested,. I bought the 20 oz CO2 tank at "Bad Boyz Toyz", a chain in the midwest and elsewhere. If you buy the tank there and leave on their sticker, you get free refills on Tuesdays.)

Did nobody else notice that his claim he does not want to feel like Dahmer is a bit paradoxal to his nickname?! Nobody read American Psycho? Duh... this post has a smell to it...

I noticed that. He also ignored the F/T question. Don't ask about the smell........his microwave just needs cleaning. :puke01:

I read it, but didn't connect the name, but I knew it was someone, but all I could come up with was Norman Bates...

But, Patrick has been around a while.

Nanci

I read it, but didn't connect the name, but I knew it was someone, but all I could come up with was Norman Bates...

But, Patrick has been around a while.

Nanci

That's who Blutengel was referring to. Bates and Bateman are similar, and with references to Jeffery Dahmer and devices to kill mices, it's not much of a leap for the imagination. At least for a horror fan, anyway.;)

Euthanasia embodies the concept of 'good death', literally. With as little pain or distress to the animal as possible.

What's the difference between euthanizing and killing?
The same difference between "dead" and "deceased". :grin01:

"Euthanasia" transliterates from the Greek "good death" and references (at least with humans) what's been called "mercy killing", e.g., medically assisted suicides for those suffering from terminal/incurable diseases.

But yeah, the end result is the same result. The End.

regards,
jazz

Sidebar: Yeah, when I saw the screen name and the references to baby seals, my red flag was raised rather high.

regards,
Peter Kürten

I also got an impression of Kathy Bates in Misery. What is it with the name Bates and violence anyway?

P.S. I just hope this doesn't turn into some jokes about "master". :grin01:

Back