• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Morphin' Distinction

. . . anyway . . . back to the topic at hand before apples were compared to kumquats . . .

Today I separated out my clutch of 16 hatchlings of which 9 were Normals definitely het Bloodred and the other 7 were Bloodreds. 3 of the Normals bit me and 6 of the 7 Bloods were spazzes but never bit.

D80

First, both apples and kumquats are rather tasty. ;)

Second, I think that could be a coincidence, but I guess there is really no way to prove whether it is or not.

First, both apples and kumquats are rather tasty. ;)

Second, I think that could be a coincidence, but I guess there is really no way to prove whether it is or not.

Yes, yes apples and kumquats—I get it— I'm able to get so quickly sidetracked. :D

"I don't believe in coincidences" aside, I really don't think that it's a coincidence that many bloods are spazzy. Many sunkisseds are pissy. etc. If you look at other posts on this thread, you'll notice most of us are just considering the idea and offering opinions and knowledge through our own experiences. There is no specific research (as of yet) to back up the many observations we've made, but the sheer amount suggests otherwise. Study or not.

As I said before, we don't yet fully know the extent the genes for a particular pattern or color effects the individual snake. Drizzit has hatched over 150 bloods— in my opinion that is some pretty good experience with a certain morph. Through observation, it was concluded that bloods tend to be spazzier than different morphs.

It's interesting to think that such a miniscule difference in pattern may influence temperament... I feel

Yes, Garrett, I'm with you. This has been an interesting topic ( though I was temporarily computer-less and unable to follow for a while). It's neat to hear about the experiences of breeders and keepers. Genetics is a fascinating subject, and the color/pattern variants are a huge draw for newcomers to corns. I too am interesting in the other implications of genetics.

When I was a kid they used to teach that one of the differences between man and animals is that animals were 100% instinctual and man was 100% learned behavior. Nobody believes that anymore but I think the idea is still kind of stuck in the back of our heads. To say that we were born with certain traits makes man to be something less in some ways.

The OP was about the possibility of personality traits being genetic. I would say that to one extent or another, absolutely. I have two kids; they are 2 years apart in age. They were raised in the same home by the same parents, went to the same schools. Not 100% the same but very close. Their personalities are black and white different. Their behavior, goals, friends, everything about them is black and white. It’s like they were born on different planets. I’m sure many parents have seen this. Something other than the environment they were raised in has influenced their behavior.

A poodle is going to yap yap and then bite you. A Labrador is going to lick you hand and go lie down. It is genetic. All poodles and all labs have those qualities.

I have a dozen Honduran Milk Snakes of different morphs. They are all “spazzes”. Every one. Genetic. I don’t have any corns that act as stupid as a Hondo. Genetic.

If we are messing with the genes that control color and pattern, who is to say we are not effecting personality at the same time. We don’t know. I think there is some pretty good evidence for it. All we see is the Lav color. There are probably many differences in that snake that are not visible on the outside. It would be foolish to think otherwise.

My first cornsnake after many years was an Amber, so I looked around for info. on them. I remembered reading this on Serpenco so I was able to find it again: It is from the site:
Although it's not a good practice to try to associate particular personality traits with animals such as snakes and especially relating to a particular cultivar, most individuals of the Amber corn are the most fearless of any of the corn snakes we have produced. They seem to have a highly developed curiosity about their surroundings and have absolutely no fear of being handled. Whenever someone asks us for the most mellow and laid back of any of the cultivars of the corn snake, THIS is the one that always comes to mind.
I have found this to be true with mine.
My Blood is one of the most mellow snakes I have, although since breeding season he is having an identity crisis as he now is part rattlesnake, but otherwise mellow.
My snow females are THE original mellow yellows.
My normal w/hets is the most aware ( she tracks me when I walk around the room)and cautious...she seems to be more "wild"
My Lavenders, especially the Hypo males are extreme spazzoids.
Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
The last couple of posts said it well. There has been a "nature vs. nurture" debate about behavior in a variety of contexts for a long while. As in Wade's case, I've seen absolutely-for-sure genetic components in my own kids behavior. My older three are triplets; not identical, but they're definitely all the same age. They've had distinct differences in behavior/personality immediately. Genetic.

Yes, when we work on producing more ambers or bloodreds or striped-stippled-whatchamahoozies, we're also producing accompanying behaviors, whether or not we mean to do so, whether or not we recognize it. That's not necessarily bad, it's just the way the eggs pip.

I don't know of any behavior that is tied to a morph gene but there certainly are issues with lines.
Some lines prefer to feed upon lizards so they may seem like they are more difficult to get started.

I got some hypo het lavenders that were a PITA until I threw in baby sceloporus - then they showed me they were willing to pound like any other snake. I had tried scenting and it didn't work (may have just been my method).

There definitely is a genetic component to feeding issues of neonates, however with out crossing and selective breeding (selecting the easy feeders as future breeders) we can increase the feeding response to rodents.

Back