• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first corn snake; check list time!

Oh boy. I remember those days. D: Making a checklist and adding up all your savings, making sure you ave enough. And trying so hard not to forget anything but making sure you have extra of everything.

And soon after that came the list of names to choose from!! :]]

Like what is saying here, try to supersize what you get. Such as the tank size, and water bowls, etc etc.

I already have a name, his name is going to be Origami. And I actually came up with his name before I made this username..so ya, lol. ^^ I'll be going to walmart tomorrow to get dog, fish and catfood so I'll look around there and see if I can find anything, I may not, walmarts not very good at keeping odd like animal stuff. But I'll see if my mum will buy another tank for me, I'd hate to spend what little money i have on something I thought I already had.

Check your local paper classifieds for used aquariums. They pop up here a lot for very little money. Just make sure that you clean it well, but you know that. Oh, and don't forget to get a copy of Kathy Love's cornsnake book. A LOT of questions you may have will be answered in that book. Also a great reference to have on hand with information about temperatures, ailments, breeding, and a whole lot more.

I'll make sure I look for it and if i do I'll buy it.
Okay corn forums...I feel like a total..bi..fill in the rest. But this guy offered to send me $200...I know it's basically using him, but 200 is more then enough. I know I exagerrated some prices maybe but..eh.

him (12:14:20 AM): so how much u need exactly?
me (12:14:34 AM): $200 would be the most I would need
me (12:14:49 AM): the snakes are at most $80
me (12:15:03 AM): but I will have him shipped, shipping a live animal overnight is around or more than 50bucks
me (12:15:41 AM): I will need around 40 somthing for the undertank heating pad. 20 some for the tank and lid, and another 30 for the termometer with a probe
him (12:16:01 AM): i can get u 200

Someone you know? I would be extremely cautious accepting money from someone like that. If it's a personal friend, even still doubtful. Just save up a little. I know it's exciting, but the snakes will still be here when you are ready. If the guy is just someone you met on the internet, please do NOT accept the money. Sounds very dangerous to me.

You can get a 10 gal tank at WalMart for $9. They might have screen lids as well, if so $7.49.

WalMart will also have a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer with wired probe and humidity reading $12 in hardware section. Same area should have a wired lamp dimmer, $9 which you can use in place of the thermostat, you will just have to check it OFTEN and adjust temp as needed.

$40 for a UTH sounds a bit high. You will pay more than TWICE as much buying a UTH at a pet store over online, but if that's your only option, the 10-20 gal size ZooMed UTH shouldn't be more than $18.99 or so. ($10 online)

Do you have a source for food for this snake? Frozen mice at PetSmart are very expensive and they don't have a very good range of sizes.

Can a baby corn be placed in a 20 gallon tank without stressing the poor thing out? If I put a whole bunch of plants and dritwood would it make it better?

personally, i believe there is no such thing as "too big." ESPECIALLY if you are using shredded aspen bedding, because the bedding actually acts as a hide that coveres the ENTIRE floor surface of the viv. snakes just LOVE the aspen bedding, and they burrow around all the time, and you can actually see their little tunnels they make! so yes, a corn can EASILY be placed in a 20gallon without being stressed. just remember, aspen bedding is the best, and you should have a hide on both the warm side, and the cool side, and lots of plants, and i even throw in a couple toilet paper roll tubes for them to hide in, and they also love those. the toilet paper rolls are great because every house has them, and they are easy to replace if soiled.

Okay so, my mum bought me another 10gallon tank. and we will be moving my fish into a 30gallon soon so I'll be able to get him a 20 gallon when he's bigger. I wasn't able to find any heating supplies to anything in walmart. They had nothing, I looked over in the silk plants to see if I could find any vines of anything but all the silk plants will planted in some styrofoam material. They were nothing loose that could be used. I'll just need to go to petsmart. i finally got another 20 dollars from my aunt for my birthday a week ago. So now I have $40 to spend on his heating needs. And no, they didn't even have bedding materials.

Oh no, walmart doesn't have reptile stuff. You wouldn't have been able to find the bedding and the heating unit there.

But Walmart DOES have the digital indoor/outdoor thermometer with wired probe and the lamp dimmer, both in the hardware area.

Don't buy bedding from Walmart. I was there the other day and saw a perforated bag of aspen bedding sandwiched between perforated bags of cedar bedding, eek...

Argh, this gets even more difficult considering the woman i babysit for can't afford me that much anymore >-> ARGH

Not to rain on this parade, or anything, but if you're finding it difficult to afford the materials just to start off with, how will you afford a vet bill if your snake gets sick? There are many more things to consider and prepare for when taking a live animal into your care. You already seem to want the best for it, so you may want to seriously think about the 'what if's'.

I mentioned this up-thread but I don't know if it was noticed...

If your only pet store is PetSmart and you can't or won't order online, then you will be paying $2 per frozen mouse and will have a limited range of sizes available. Most PetSmarts sell them in six-packs for about $12.

Yeah even the petco mices are different ranges of sizes and cheaper.
And actually I think all the packs are the same price, regardless of what size mouse/how many are in the package.

OK, so you have your tank now, that's great!!! If you couldn't find fake plants at walmart, Try Hobby Lobby or Michaels, They both usually have lots of vines. They are a bit more expensive then Walmart, but that is an option.

As far as bedding, You could try your local feed mill(if you have one). They usually have bedding much cheaper then your local petstores. You might also want to check out your local Salvation Army or Goodwill store for future tanks. I have found my last 2 tanks at the Salvation Army. Both were 20 gallon tanks and were about 3 bucks each.

Good Luck in whichever way you choose to go.

Back