• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie! Question about feeding.

I'm new at this so that is why I posted the pictures, before placing him
in the tank, to make sure I was doing the right things. I'll make the switch and adjustments so he has a home he is safe and happy in. I appreciate everyones advice but some of you were a little harsh. This board is for people who don't know much about snakes. You can't treat them as if they are idiots just because you know more than someone at my level. Thanks.

I am sorry you feel we were being harsh, I only stated facts. If bare facts are harsh, that is life. Again not trying to be harsh. Tone is very difficult to get through in a forum like this.

Oh and its not just here for folks who don't know much about snakes, its for anyone who likes/loves corn snakes. Most the folks here are very experienced long term snake folk. With all the info on the web about corn snakes it can get frustrating to them to have the same stuff asked about. I should know I have been asking some of it in the past. A little now too but some of what I now need to know is based on experience, and cannot really be documents as such and such is the best or only way (ha there really isn't an only way to any of this so that was kind of funny).

Anywho I am sorry if our info sounded harsh, we were only looking out for the snake and trying to be sure you did not end up losing your new friend to simple adjustments. I am very happy to see a newbie so willing to adapt after learning. Not many do until they have something bad happen. So you are ahead of the pack and we hope you stick around and get used to the variety of personalities, I must warn you there are some really funny folk that can come across as offensive or nutcases lol! But they don't mean any harm.

Tone is very difficult to get through in a forum like this. ...
Oh and its not just here for folks who don't know much about snakes, its for anyone who likes/loves corn snakes. Most the folks here are very experienced long term snake folk. With all the info on the web about corn snakes it can get frustrating to them to have the same stuff asked about.

Exactly!! Its just incredible that with all of the info available on the internet, etc., that more newbies don't do their research BEFORE purchasing their pet. It would be a lot less stressful for all involved if more people just educated themselves in advance.

This forum is a great place for info and reassurance that you are doing what is best for your pet - thats why we're all here!

I am sorry you feel we were being harsh, I only stated facts. If bare facts are harsh, that is life. Again not trying to be harsh. Tone is very difficult to get through in a forum like this.

Oh and its not just here for folks who don't know much about snakes, its for anyone who likes/loves corn snakes. Most the folks here are very experienced long term snake folk. With all the info on the web about corn snakes it can get frustrating to them to have the same stuff asked about. I should know I have been asking some of it in the past. A little now too but some of what I now need to know is based on experience, and cannot really be documents as such and such is the best or only way (ha there really isn't an only way to any of this so that was kind of funny).

Anywho I am sorry if our info sounded harsh, we were only looking out for the snake and trying to be sure you did not end up losing your new friend to simple adjustments. I am very happy to see a newbie so willing to adapt after learning. Not many do until they have something bad happen. So you are ahead of the pack and we hope you stick around and get used to the variety of personalities, I must warn you there are some really funny folk that can come across as offensive or nutcases lol! But they don't mean any harm.

I wasn't referring to you. I appreciate your advice alot and I will follow it. Some others on here could have worded their responses better so it didn't seem to belittling. . It was just overwhelming for my first post. And I didn't buy a snake, or any pet, to be ignorant to it's needs. Thats why I joined the forum and I did research before I bought him. Some things just take trial and error and the snake was never in harms way. Originally I wanted a boa but I read up on good beginner snakes instead of following impulse. I'm glad I did.

I lived with someone who picked up a black snake off the side of the road and just kept it for about 5-6 years. He threw sand in the tank and used a heat rock and just did what he wanted instead of learning about the animal so I wanted to make sure I didnt follow the same path. He is the type of person who wouldn't follow advice until something bad happened to the animal. Then after holding it in captivity for that long threw it back out into the woods because he was "tired of him"

Exactly!! Its just incredible that with all of the info available on the internet, etc., that more newbies don't do their research BEFORE purchasing their pet.

BUT... THIS newbie did come here to ask for advice on the set up. The fact that the person is here and asking for advice means a great deal to me. They want to learn and do the right thing!

I agree with the majority here.... a 20 long tank is best for a corn. A baby through yearling age can get by in a 10 gallon. Get a UTH, put it on one end, and either get a thermostat or a plug-in style lamp dimmer to keep the temps regulated. The Home Depot off of Eastern Avenue in Baltimore sells them- they are in the back in the lighting section. If you need help with that, I can show you a photo of mine.

Aspen is a great substrate, but I usually keep the babies on paper towels until I see their first few poops and they are normal.

I will write a bit more later... right now we have a puppy coming to visit! Eeek!! :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to you. I appreciate your advice alot and I will follow it. Some others on here could have worded their responses better so it didn't seem to belittling. . It was just overwhelming for my first post. And I didn't buy a snake, or any pet, to be ignorant to it's needs. Thats why I joined the forum and I did research before I bought him. Some things just take trial and error and the snake was never in harms way. Originally I wanted a boa but I read up on good beginner snakes instead of following impulse. I'm glad I did.

I lived with someone who picked up a black snake off the side of the road and just kept it for about 5-6 years. He threw sand in the tank and used a heat rock and just did what he wanted instead of learning about the animal so I wanted to make sure I didnt follow the same path. He is the type of person who wouldn't follow advice until something bad happened to the animal. Then after holding it in captivity for that long threw it back out into the woods because he was "tired of him"

Be patient. There are some people here that require a little patience on your part but most of the people here are good people with lots of good info to share. Just ignore the ones that annoy you. I'm glad to have you among the group.

I wasn't trying to belittle anyone, so please forgive me if it came off that way. I offered links to help. I was just concerned about the well being of the snake. Again I apologize if I came off too harsh.

Thank you all for your advice and support. I'm sure I'll be needing again.

Jynx has officially eaten his first pinkie since I've brought him home. He ate it about 10 mins after I offered it to him. I have a new set-up for him its a 10 gallon long tank I had already. I will get the 20 gallon long when he gets older. I need to save the money right now cuz I'm in the process of buying a house. I close on the 15th :)

I will post two pics. Front view and top view of the tank. Jynx is currently living in the tank and he is investigating it. He is a very sweet snake. When I hold him he just chills on my hand and doesn't try to run. From my understanding the babies usually are high strung so I was very relieved. So I want him to be happy and healthy!

Attachments

• IMG_0938.JPG
    IMG_0938.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 47
Exploring his tank and chillin. So much for wanting to be on the ground all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 47
Exploring his tank and chillin. So much for wanting to be on the ground all the time.

One thing that wasn't mentioned, if you haven't already make sure you get latches for the top of the tank ASAP corn snakes are escape artists.

also I noticied the light over the end that had the water, if using a lamp till you get the UTH you should have the water on the opposite end of the warm side so it doesn't evaporate or become to warm for the snake. Make sure when you get the UTH to have it connected to a dimmer & the thermometer measuring the temp. on the glass directly above the UTH so you'll have the most accurate reading. Good luck with your little guy its nice seeing someone trying to do all they can.

That is an awesome looking set up! But what kind of substrate is that? I can't recognize it from the photos.

The first set up had me worried, glad you changed it. But man does it look nice! Though not big enough for anoles, as someone stated. Not even sure if it's big enough for dart frogs... maybe one. But it's so pretty! Maybe you could do... hhhmmm... can't think of anything other than a dart frog. XD

Sorry, I had an anole in the past and used a 15 hex for him. He liked the climbing room and lived about 5 months with me before he passed. The guy I got him from did not know how old he was but had had him for about 5 months himself. I'm sorry to find out I housed him wrong. :\

Wait... how big is that tank? The one in the beginning? I just realized it might have been larger than I thought...

And a 15gal is fine for an anole, but having it live for 5 months is not. But it could have been really old, I guess, if it died so soon.

The tank is a 10 gallon. There are baby dart frogs in it right now. She will have to switch them when they get bigger but she can always use it for babies or micros if she chose to get a couple. There are very tiny dart frogs out there though. I went to a frog meet and saw them myself.

As for anoles, I don't know anything about them. Not really interested in having any.
I forget the name of the bedding but the bag did say it was ideal for corn snakes so he should be fine with it.

Back